Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe we should fly first class!
Scratch that. Airfare goes from about $900 coach to $2,200 first class. I don't think I could do that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Scratch that. Airfare goes from about $900 coach to $2,200 first class. I don't think I could do that.

Sure you could ! You don't want to end up really old with a pile of money left !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm about to schedule our Hawaii trip for next March. That trip cost $3,000 last year, and we'll try to get that up to $4,000 or more with lots of eating out at nice restaurants, maybe a helicopter trip?
If you're visiting Kauai, I enthusiatically recommend taking a helicopter trip with Inter-Island. They fly the 'Porsche' helicopters instead of the 'Cadillac' helicopters (that's how our pilot described it).

Door off. Four passengers max. I think we snapped about 70 pictures.

They drop you down at a (small) waterfall on private land.

Well worth the bucks in my opionion!

P.S. - You probably already have it, but I also recommend the Ultimate Guidebook. We used the Kauai and Big Island guidebooks to plan our trip. Well worth it!

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

After reading that Trombone Al was going to spend to use up his 4% withdrawal I decided I would also .Well I've been doing a lousy job of it .I did spend $125 on a new floor scrubber and $100 at JJill and now I've realized there is nothing else I want so I guess the money just rolls over into next year's account .How sad !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #45

Moemg,

I don't see it as sad... you know the level of spending that makes you happy and don't go beyond it to buy things that you wouldn't value. The extra money rolls back in as a cushion for bad times or savings for when you decide that some big purchase is worthwhile.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #46

TromboneAl,

Pictures from our Kauaii helicopter trip:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helicopter.jpg (11.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Kauaii Coffee.jpg (11.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Waimea Canyon.jpg (13.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Jurassic Park Waterfall.jpg (12.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Private Waterfall.jpg (12.0 KB, 124 views)

Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going backwards. I bought $100 worth of stuff yesterday but I returned $250 worth of stuff.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I went really crazy today and bought warm socks and gloves and microwave plate covers.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm about to schedule our Hawaii trip for next March. That trip cost $3,000 last year, and we'll try to get that up to $4,000 or more with lots of eating out at nice restaurants, maybe a helicopter trip? Maybe we should fly first class!
You could try:
- one of the brand-name chain hotels,
- renting a fantasy vehicle like a Woody,
- spending a day at a spa,
- tow-in surfing lessons,
- kitesurfing/windsurfing lessons, and
- glider/parachuting lessons.

As much as I'd enjoy an Oahu surfing encore, you might enjoy the Big Island more. You could rent a home/condo in the Pahoa area, stay at Volcano Lodge, or try out a Kailua/Kona resort. You might find the Volcano weather to be a bit like your area, especially when the sun goes down.

My thought on helicopter rides is that you shouldn't go with the low bidder. Generally the more you pay, the more room you have and the quieter the flight. But I still haven't figured out how they decide which ride is going to get swatted out of the sky by weather or equipment failure or pilot errors, so I've never ridden in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I did spend $125 on a new floor scrubber and $100 at JJill and now I've realized there is nothing else I want so I guess the money just rolls over into next year's account .How sad !
Coulda bought a Scooba.

Or you could boost your charitable contributions?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #50

Roomba and Scooba rule!

Especially for households where both spouses work.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Roomba and Scooba rule!

Especially for households where both spouses work.
Too bad the reliability has not been all that great yet. Fortunately, we purchased our Roomba from a catalog with a "lifetime warranty." So when the Roomba died after a couple of years we returned it and were sent our money back. Having a Roomba for two years for the cost of postage and interest, now that rules!
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote