What made you truly feel successful?

dallas27

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Many people who are considered tremendously successful by others never feel successful themselves. If you are one of those people, I pity you and you can't really answer my question.

For everyone who has had a full life, and reached a point in life where they look around them and decide they are content with their position in the universe and what/who they interact with, what is the most important piece that let you arrive at that place where you feel truly satisfied with yourself, your life?

Is it material like worth? Is it purposeful like a high rank or power? Is it vicarious by seeing and helping others succeed at their goals? Is it interpersonal and relationships?

Try to really narrow it down to the one aspect of life that mattered the most for you to "arrive" at what you define as success, or happiness, or whatever word you choose.

Several people associated with me have won Nobel Prizes over the years including former students.

Several people associated with me have won Nobel Prizes over the years including former students.

That's very admirable. More so if they were not all in the same field.

I feel fortunate that I did not slow them down.

I can't top that, not even close, but I am impressed.:)

I'm still waiting for that 8' bronze of me to be erected in front of my old Megagcorp. I think I'll have a long wait..

Marrying my late wife, and now DW.

I'm in. I did it my way.

All my life I did as much as I could of what I wanted to do and the least amount possible of what other people wanted me to do.

You could call me a lifetime "slacker"

In college I soon found that there were 2 ways to go;
1) Study hard to get the best grades possible
2) Study as little as possible to still get out while maximizing "party time"
I graduated with a Electrical Engineering degree and a 2.4 GPA.

My work experience was similar.
I learned that management was not for me, a complete waste of time. I was good at what I did and I did the absolute minimum required. Came in late and left early. Retired with millions at 59.

You only have a limited amount of life. Live it your way!

Getting out alive :LOL:
+1000
I'd add also getting out healthy enough to hopefully have several years of an active happy retirement, as so many wait too long, in my observations, to have a chance at that......in terms of concrete acts that provide satisfaction, i suppose it would be mentoring others in life skills that will provide lasting happiness, be it when i was still working or in the many opportunities for social interaction since ER

I know I have made a difference in many people's lives, because they tell me. It makes me feel successful knowing I have helped make their journeys in life a little easier.

Sadly most of my feelings of success are monetary related. The first time I made $x, the first time I made $y, etc.... Each time felt like a real accomplishment but in the end it's all trivial.

I can't top that, not even close, but I am impressed.:)

I'm still waiting for that 8' bronze of me to be erected in front of my old Megagcorp. I think I'll have a long wait..

[emoji23]

I don't find a binary judgment of 'self as success' or 'self as failure' useful. I prefer to ask, "What's working?" and "What needs fixing?" Right now, many important systems are working (far too many to list, but they include e.g. kidneys, liver, heart, neural, digestion, house plumbing, electrical, structural, and societal systems such as fresh water supply, waste disposal, policing...) At what point are enough things working that I can call 'myself' a success?

The contentment and fulfillment of being with my DH, knowing that no matter what happens, we will be there for each other and will face life's ups and downs with a good sense of humor and mutual love. Achieving FI also gave me a lot of satisfaction. Mentoring others is something I enjoy and continue to do post ER.

"What made me feel truly successful?" I never did!

I think I have done quite all right, considering my background as a young immigrant who came to this country without any connection, any knowledge of even how the college admission worked. And I got through graduate school in 4-1/2 years, and made enough money to retire early in reasonable comfort.

Truly successful? No!

I know of people who got far further, both professionally as well as financially. But there's a price of being an introvert, and so I deserve what I get because of my personality. And I do not feel sorry for it.

"I yam what I yam" -- Popeye.

Last edited:
Realizing I didn't need to worry about things like being considered successful.

As a former achiever my suspicions as a very young child have been confirmed throughout my life. All of what we consider success is mostly bullshot. Everything is right place/right time. One is the beneficiary of events and conditions and results. That is what passes for success. And we are all programmed to give credit even if begrudgingly, and we all gladly accept credit for having it happen.

Let the "hard work" people lie to themselves if it makes them feel good. Just a cog in a wheel. The sine qua non of success is being there.

Last edited:
By the grace of the Lord, considering where I came from, I achieved way more than I ever should have and never bent or bowed to anyone to get there. I should have been fired many, many times! When I was younger I could do the work of 10 men and I feel it now @ 50! One thing I wish I could change is the huge chip I allowed to be put on my shoulder!

What makes me feel I've arrived? Sadly, I don't. I'm one of those you'll have to pity. Logically, I know I have been successful. I made good coin, lived well, managed people and rose to a director position where I think I made a difference but nothing fantastic. Certainly many people would love to change places with me.

The one success I felt the best about when it happened is when I passed the CPA exam. That was my goal through college and I accomplished it, but that was the beginning, not having arrived.

What I am most proud of is my marriage and DD's who are both now marvelous adult ladies, wives and one is a mother of our three grand children.

I can trace the successes in my life back to my choice to be childfree. Because I never wanted to have children, I was able to excel financially, professionally, and personally. This led to my crowning achievement, retiring 9 years ago at age 45.

What made us feel truly successful?

Not money, not personal achievements/accomplishments or public recognitions.

It was the day that each of our respective adult sons came to DW & I to thank us for raising them the way we did and for the values we instilled in them.

Successes have many times been with an enjoyment but a feeling that this too will pass.

I try simply to prevail in another opportunity to enrich my life and the people around me at least a little bit each day.

Interesting question. I could say something financial but in reality it's keeping a very strong relationship with my daughter and current spouse while going through a toxic bitter 15 year divorce. It's the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Not money, not personal achievements/accomplishments or public recognitions.

It was the day that each of our respective adult sons came to DW & I to thank us for raising them the way we did and for the values we instilled in them.

Awesome! A truly worthy goal!

Back
Top Bottom