What new investments have you made this year?

Berkshire_Bull

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been pretty busy. I bought some Life Partners (LPHI), Sportsman's Guide (SGDE), and more recently some Stockgroup (SWEB). I also started a Limited Brands (LTD), Energen (EGN), and Paychex (PAYX) Dividend reinvestment plans, and finally got a $3k 1YR CD. For the remainder of the year I don't plan to do a whole lot except maybe start another couple DRIP plans to round that part of my portfolio out and continue to add to my 401K and DRIP plans as well as maybe a little more into CD's.

None. Moved some short term money around.
That's it. The way things look right now, my answer
will be the same at the end of the year.

JG

I exchanged my CA intermediate muni for high yield. Not a lot of my port, just enough to keep ~$600 a month in income dribbling in.

Since our joint returns are running a combined ~14% fed/state tax rate, I didnt need the tax relief. Chasing yield.

Thats it.

Does adding monthly to my six DRIPs (BWA, WEC, HNZ, KEY, UST, MOD) and ibonds count? Thats it , and adding to my 401k index funds.

If I-Bonds count, yep. Otherwise, nada!

lightened up on HY exposure and leveraged preferred/or no longer re-investing divvy's in such(CEF's).bought a good handfull of short term cds mostly 6-9 months to roll over continuosly.And this week finally after 2 or 3 years of avoiding them bought 4 US based nat gas royalty trusts in nearly equal $ amounts.Enough to burp $200/month in divvy's to cover monthly energy bills.In the taxable side,sold GM about 2 weeks ago and added to pimco muni fund.

I posted this elsewhere so forgive the repetition.
I changed my coffeehouse stock/bond ratio from
60/40 to 50/50, added iShares for Pacific ex Japan
and iShares for China and added GIM .... an
unhedged foreign bond fund (just before it plunged).
Thinking about buying more GIM. In January I
converted almost all my FI to 2+% + CPI intermediate
term bonds and CD's.

Worry about coming inflation prompted these changes.

Cheers,

Charlie

Nothing new - I am still contemplating energy/natural resource ETFs.

SPanky

I just don't know enough yet, so I'm anchored in index funds, with some low cost value and international on the riskier side, and a toe in bonds/low risk/fixed. My big change this year was working out how to max both my wife and I's 401k contribution. Now I'm playing catch up on the investing learning curve, I thought I knew something before I found this board. Anybody catch me giving investment advice, slap me, please! ;)

Is anyone interested in a couple of funds that protect bond values in a rising interest rate environment? I don't care about bonds too much b/c I am young but I can share if anyone gives a hoot.

As for changes, I am taking the advice of some of the people here and I am going to add some international exposure. It has taken me a little time to warm up to the idea but you all are smart people. I am sticking to some small cap value ideas and I am always on the hunt for more. I do have more cash than usual :-/ & would like to see more value in the market. Can I get a double :-/ :-/

I've added to our energy and international funds. (asia and europe)

I switched some money in our emergency fund to a 15 month CD at 3.5%. ($$ that we won't need for some time)

And I added to my GE position.

And I'm thinking of buying an I bond.

No but heck, I'd thoroughly enjoy the tax-deductible research trips...

I'm cynically suspicious of the Kauai outfit. If it's such a good deal why do they need our money, etc. This state can't even supply its own Christmas trees. They're also using some of the state's most expensive land-- admittedly perhaps with very restrictive zoning-- in an area that was absolutely clobbered by Hurricane Iniki 14 years ago and is still recovering. Now add in that they're growing non-native woods and not koa or mango, which doesn't strike me as very credible for their "environmentally responsible" claim. But, hey, perhaps someone will show me where I'm wrong before we get over there on our next holoholo.

Besides a little gold bet I have not changed anything. I want to switch from EEM to the new Vanguard Viper for EM equity (much lower e/r) and would also not mind to get a decent foreign small cap value fund onboard.
Cheers!

I invested in ProFunds Rising Rates Opp Inv (RRPIX).

I believe I will do better there than a 5 year CD. I think within the next 4 or 5 years, long-term interest rates will climb to historical normal levels so this fund should benefit. If I can get at least a 7% average rate over the next 4 or 5 years then sell and move the money to 7% CDs or quality bonds, I'll be happy.

I'm laddering I-bonds for an emergency fund. My Roth contributions will round up my DVY to an even 100. I am thinking of selling my big oil stocks.

That timber website was very interesting. Has anyone planted trees on land that they own as an investment? About a decade ago, my dad planted several thousand pines and oaks on 140 acres that he owns. He thinks they'll be worth a lot in 40 years for the pines and 60 years for the oaks. I guess we'll see.

Nope

But the State of Ms offers me free trees to plant every few years. Weyerhaeuser has asked me to consider a swap(tax free). I thinking maybe next year: finances and enthusiasm willing to explore a swap for vacation property to build on.

Being still employed and conservatively 20 years from retirement I am still making regular contributions. 20% of my gross salary is going to Vanguard funds in a 401(k) in the amounts of: 80% Wellingtion, 10% Total International Index and 10% Extended Market Index.

In my IRA I use LifeStrategy Moderate Growth instead of Wellington and add the REIT index for another asset class. I may try to start a new IRA if I have enough money before April 15. (My existing IRA is rollover money, and I'll try to avoid comingling the funds.)

I've bought VPACX (Pacific index) VWO (EM index) and VUG (large growth index).

I don't really suggest anyone buy VUG, and it feels strange buying it... but I am overweight small and value, so it brings me closer to the market. I believe small and value may be a little overpriced today even compared to large and growth, so want to reduce my risk there and have been selling IJS and OAKEX, to the extent I can stay in low tax bracket.

Really would like to buy BRK but have been having trouble convincing myself it is fairly or cheaply priced. Never owned it before.
I don't like M*'s analysis of intrinsic value, and had trouble confirming the data the calculator http://creativeacademics.com/finance/IV.html uses.
On a simplistic Price/Sales basis, it seems cheap, though I think Buffet has said sales will drop back down in insurance.

Berkshire has been a good performer over the decades, but I admire Buffett's thinking and his track record more than the actual security. Noone knows what will happen when Buffett can't do his job anymore. I don't know if anyone else will be able to do it, however look at GE's ability to be huge and perform. Whose to say?

but I admire Buffett's thinking and his track record more than the actual security. Noone knows what will happen when Buffett can't do his job anymore.
Is it just because of worries about succession, that you're not so enthusiastic about BRK stock?
Or, do you think it is fully valued/not a great buy given the current holdings?
(I see you just registered your name in September. ;))

GE wasnt just one guy, ever. IIRC, one of the original "dow twelve", still hanging in there ?

Buffett is getting along in years. His #2 guy is a bazillion years old. He a bit overweight and likes sees candy and dairy queen burgers. His wife just passed away.

Statistically, a guy thats under those conditions alone wears out. A further statistic says that losing a spouse in your 60's/70's frequently results in severe health issues and shortened life span.

The day Warren has a stroke or a heart attack, or simply passes on...BRK will lose a third to half of its value. No doubt in my mind. Sometime after the carnage, I'll buy some because the bench is deep and solid. Most psych based investors wont care about that. They own that company because of warren and charlie. Period.

From someone who owned a couple of "A" shares up until a few years ago when my "this is a bad idea" string started twanging, and had to own a bunch of "B" shares until recently even so.

Back
Top Bottom