Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What percentage are you down so far?
Down 0% to -10% 107 33.86%
Down -11% to -20% 155 49.05%
Down -21% to -30% 50 15.82%
Down -31% or higher 4 1.27%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2020, 04:24 PM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

Why would I want to know? That's the kind of thinking that leads to panic selling. In 2008, I was shredding my brokerage statements without opening them.

What I know is that I've got 7 years of withdrawals in low volatility assets. Much more than 7 if travel stays curtailed. I'll stick with doing important stuff like teasing grandsons over tele-conference. -- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

-30%
Old 03-31-2020, 04:30 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 1.2% or so. Went all Cash/CD's in Dec 2019
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the poll made me look more closely:
YTD -26.5%
Lowest -36.6%
100% stock and almost 100% VG broad index and almost no portfolio monitoring, but did shift a few deck chairs on the way down. Real estate not counted.
I have never gone to cash, but this "correction" has been so long coming, that I am kicking myself not recognizing that virus would be a sufficient trigger. I will be looking under couch cushions for cash (but probably won't touch HELOC) to buy.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
Up 1.2% or so. Went all Cash/CD's in Dec 2019
Went Cash in June 18.... Up 2+

Wondering how to jump back-in ... Not a fan of mutual funds any more...
airbornesapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 16% 44/36/20 ytd
I have cash to dollar cost into the market starting on 4/1 until the end of the year.

My nephew sold all his stock in February right before the peak.... Baastard
Eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #87
Dryer sheet aficionado

Only time will tell. Very heavy real estate. Rentals, short term discounted notes. In good stock market years, I under perform, in bad stock market years, out perform.

One borrowers spouse said that I should forgive interest during this time. I am curious as to what will happen with my rentals and rent. Will the bank forgive or defer my mortgage(s) on the rentals?

Tough to say where I will be in a few months, if real estate prices drop significantly, then, yes, I'll take a loss.
HaveEnough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

It was a lot worse a week ago. Kinda surprised that my REITs took the largest hit compared to other categories.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
It was a lot worse a week ago. Kinda surprised that my REITs took the largest hit compared to other categories.
Iím not surprised. All those non-essential businesses having to close? Consumers not out shopping at stores. Malls closing.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
Just curious how other people are doing.
I'm curious why you would assume everyone is down for the year.

My portfolio is up 7.5% for the year and I still have about 40% cash so I can snatch some deals up if the market falls further. I cashed out some Tesla Jan. 2020 and Jan. 2021 calls near the beginning of January and I didn't re-invest the proceeds which is why I still have so much cash. The market just seemed too "toppy" to me and I wanted some better deals. Everything I looked at seemed like it would be cheaper in the future and I already had too much TSLA due it's stellar performance through January. I still haven't sold any shares but I added 200 more at $360 recently.

My largest holding, Tesla, is up 27.5% YTD but my other stocks dragged my average YTD performance way down.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I am down 12.95% YTD thru the end of March.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Can't vote since I'm up (not down)
Just vote "0-10%" then. Since you are down exactly zero, that's your category.

But I agree, it's a screwy poll with no options for being up.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Even when I include the recent free fall due to the pandemic, I'm up 6.4% over the last 12 months and up an average of 6.7% year after year over the last 10 years. That's the way I choose to look at it. We all tend to cherry pick the high against where it is now. Pretty depressing way to look at it. I've been through several of these major downturns starting with Black Monday in '87. When you're in it for the long haul, you have to get real and realize these looses are only on paper, unless you are foolish enough to panic sell.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:58 PM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't vote, as there wasn't an option for "don't know". I'm on the same page as the several people here who tend not to check their portfolios during steep corrections. This is my first significant correction/downturn since retiring and I'm quite proud of myself so far. I have not experienced any twinges of fear, or strange feelings in the pit of my stomach. I am far more concerned with making sure my kitty with kidney disease gets her sub-q fluids, finishing the basic solar installation on my camper van, and trying to figure out if I should let my best friend come over to hang out in these strange pandemic times. Have not given much thought to my portfolio, and I think that's a good thing. I suppose I will have to look at it at some point, but it could easily be several months before I have to, if not longer.

Honestly, I'm really happy with myself so far. I've suspected that downturns wouldn't bother me too much, but didn't know for sure. So far, so good, but it's most likely early days yet.........

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:29 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't been looking much...but my last paycheck had my annual bonus.

So I was down 28% with a little bounce back to only -19% after the last few days. We'll see how long this little "rally" lasts!
reneeh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #96

Down 11%--dang it, I almost made the first cut! I suspect there is further down to go, but we will see.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

-15.22% ytd, 63/24/13.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Just down about 30%. My TSP is all stocks, 80 C fund, 10 S fund and 10 International fund. That comprises about 70% of my holdings.

Vanguard Wellington (Moderate) is about 60/40 and Wellesley (Conservative) is 35/65.
Both down around 10% (approx 25% of holdings) and

Dodge and Cox International Stock Fund (5% of holdings) is down maybe 25%

I'll turn 65 soon, and I'll address my asset allocation in 3-5 years, but so far, I'm staying put.

I've been investing since just before the Black Monday crash in 87 when I was a young pup. I've learned my lessons, and when prices are down, I BUY.
Unfortunately, I have no earned income, so I'll stay put til then.

My Crystal ball is in the shop, and I don't know when the market will make a comeback. But It will.
The HalfBreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

We are up about 10% since January.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #100

I have no idea, hard to track. For example IRA capital gains aren’t really tracked, so this year’s withdrawals from stock funds only show up as regular income.

Other than just to brag, I don’t see the point of this and other similar threads of posting your performances.
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote