Votes: 107 33.9%
  • Down -11% to -20%

Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Down around 14% since this started. Some funds (S&P 500) funds hit hard. My AA is about 45% stock, 55% bonds.

I'm confused, which is nothing unusual. If you are only including your "taxable account" in your numbers that really isn't telling us "what percentage you are down so far."

What is your YTD performance for your total portfolio?

FWIW, I'm at -7.7% YTD, and that number includes all our investable assets.

So the reason I don't count in the 401k/Roth is because that money is essentially useless to me. I don't pay any attention to my 401k/Roth IRA because I also have a pension (18+ years vested so far). By the time I can touch the 401k/Roth I'll also be able to take payments from the pension. The pension alone will be able to cover my retirement when I am 60+. So my 401k/Roth are irrelevant. I still max them out (401k up to match and max out the Roth), but I'll probably just end up donating all that money.

The pension alone will pay more money than I actually spend. The pension will pay more than 50% of my income and I live off of less than 50% of my income now. My w-2 income is $73k and I live off around $30k. My taxable account dividends are $29k now, plus whatever I make in capital gains. The other year I made close to around $100k in short term capital gains. That was painful at tax time.

I only pay attention to my taxable account because I might actually use it. I'm 43. If I do retire early it will be entirely off of the taxable account. I won't touch the 401k/Roth and when I am 60+ I'll have the pension.

During this crisis I haven't looked at my 401k/Roth. I go years without looking at them. The 401k is invested in a global balanced fund using indexs. My Roth IRA is in Vanguard's Managed Payout fund which is being renamed at some point (I have forgotten now what they are going to call it).

Down 17% from the high. I raised cash just before a cruise in early Feb (I was out of contact and wanted to get rid of most individual stocks). That was about 8% and amounts to 18 months of spending (not allowing for any reductions in our burn rate). I guess I was lucky on the timing.
Currently about 65% equities, 12% cash, 25% bonds.

What a crazy couple of weeks. I’ve never seen fixed income lose so much or gain so much in such a short period of time.

Up 2.5% following the ‘permanent portfolio’ strategy of 25% each stocks, gold, long bonds and cash.

But stocks are still slightly ahead over 10 years. I just have low volatility.

Down 7.5% YTD (all investable assets) on a nominal 50/50 - currently 46/54 but still within my wide rebalance band.

Don't know. Will check sometime June or July.

I didn't calculate a percentage, but on Monday, I calculated that I was down about 5 years of retirement spending, despite a conservative AA.

After a temporary pop this week, I'm probably down about 4 years of retirement spending.

Send it to me, I'll even pick up the wire transfer charges. :D

I figured someone would offer to make that sacrifice. :LOL:

I shouldn't say its completely useless. Its part of my sleep-well-at-night and no-job-stress assets.

I'm really not sure if I will even use the taxable account money. If my employer will continue giving me the option to work from home after this crisis, I could see myself working another 17 years or more.

My job is pretty cool because I get paid to work on expensive IT infrastructure which is something I would want to tinker with as a hobby if it wasn't my job. Basically I have a multi-million dollar "lab" to play with.

The pension eliminated my saving for retirement stress from day one. The taxable savings have eliminated my work stress as the assets have grown in size. The only downside to work now is annoying things, like why do I have to work in the office every day when the work I do at the office that day is on stuff that is remotely located in Amazon Web Services a couple of states away?

Down less than 10%. It is tough to figure since I have no faith in the high market values Fido is assigning to my brokered CD's. Since CDs represent about half my portfolio i just use the par value. Anyway I always keep them to maturity.

As of Friday down about 9%. Started the year roughly 35/42/23, and took out about 1% from the stock allocation in January to "celebrate" last years gains, and I have not spend that entirely. Still, with a pension buffer, a lot of cash, and a low SWR, I am fortunate.

The only downside to work now is annoying things, like why do I have to work in the office every day when the work I do at the office that day is on stuff that is remotely located in Amazon Web Services a couple of states away?

Ah, the BS bucket is beginning to fill...:)

FWIW, I'm at -7.7% YTD, and that number includes all our investable assets.
That's terrific!!!

My portfolio is down 8.0% compared with my portfolio size on 1/2/2020.

But since I always withdraw the entire year's spending money on 1/1, it makes more sense to me if I look at a total of portfolio+bank account, not just portfolio. Maybe this is equivalent to your investable assets number. Anyway, my total of portfolio+bank account is down 8.8% which reflects some additional loss due to my spending so far (including recliner, stocking up on food for isolation, new video gaming console and games, and so on, girls just gotta have fun).

Down 7.1% YTD in my 90/10 portfolio and about $80k in company stock. I pulled my 401k out when the Dow was at 27k and then sold my company stock when it was at 27,800. I figure, if I jump back in right now, and it goes back to near 30k I'll be up about $120,000. I've NEVER touched my investments, but I felt like this time was different. I'm very glad I did what I did, when I did it, and have made sure to keep my mouth shut at work. A lot of very angry and scared people there.

Down 7.1% YTD in my 90/10 portfolio and about $80k in company stock. I pulled my 401k out when the Dow was at 27k and then sold my company stock when it was at 27,800.

What you posted indicates you don't have a 90/10 portfolio.

Good luck in figuring out when to get back in as it sounds easy - until you actually try to do it.

Last edited:
Down 7.1% YTD in my 90/10 portfolio and about $80k in company stock. I pulled my 401k out when the Dow was at 27k and then sold my company stock when it was at 27,800. I figure, if I jump back in right now, and it goes back to near 30k I'll be up about $120,000. I've NEVER touched my investments, but I felt like this time was different. I'm very glad I did what I did, when I did it, and have made sure to keep my mouth shut at work. A lot of very angry and scared people there.
7.1% on a 90/10 portfolio:confused:?...

Up a little but I was all cash except for some swing trading. Call me a market timer if you like, I don't care, but the market is sure looking attractive to me now... My problem is I've been swing trading so long I'm not sure I can buy and hold for "years".

Last edited:
After the short bounce this week, I'm down about 16% on a 66/26/8 (from the highest point this year).

However, I'm still up 21% from when I retired 4 years ago.

So, I dunno. I benefited from the higher AA to stocks for the last 4 years. If I had a lower stock AA for the past 4 years, I wouldn't have "lost" as much recently but I might be in about the same place balance wise.

Time will tell moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom