What Percentage in Portfolio would you do

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What percentage would you put in to stock if you don't need the money to live on. Is the reason for lowering your stock/bond percent because you need it to live on and you want a more secure investment?

Would you feel comfortable leaving ratio at 80/20 in your late years of life if you really don't need it to live on?

I think it all depends on your long term time frame and cash flow needs, but one of the biggest mistake people make in retirement and just in general is not having enough exposure to stocks! Yes, there is more volatility , but the volatility is the price one pays for substantially higher investment returns over time. I have friends that have committed financial suicide trying to "time the market" or claim "now things are different with Trump", etc, etc

It would help if you could give us a little more info regarding your risk tolerance, age, life expectancy, whether you want to leave something for heirs, etc. What is the goal of putting money in the stock market?

If I had no need for it to maintain my current lifestyle, then I'd put it all in stocks and use up some gains (when there are gains) for splurging.
If I didn't need it to "get by" but needed it to enjoy my life, then I'd be more conservative with the allocation.

I'd be happy to go with 100%. Money that you are not going to use is being invested for whoever gets it when you're done with it. Hopefully very long term. That's what my mom was at until I learned she actually was withdrawing for occasional large expenses. I talked her into 75% equities after that. I'm retired and down to 90% equities, and living off only the portfolio for now.

There's been research that shows a negative glide path ie (increasing stock percentage) in retirement gives a higher probability of successfully funding retirement.

I went into ER with a 60/40 AA not needing to take anything out of my portfolio for day to day income, although I plan to sell some funds for big purchases like cars. My strategy is to reinvest dividends, put any spare money into equities and stop rebalancing with the expectation that my equity percentage will drift up as I get older.

Last edited:
My risk tolerance I don't worry about. I have been investing for 35 years so I know the ups and downs. I do get a little jumpy when things really start to fall but I know they have always came back. I'm talking long term for 25 years at a higher stock percentage which will put me at mid 80's. Yes I would like to leave to an heir and to few charities which guide lines will be set up before I die.

The responses so far wouldn't be afraid to that the risk with a higher percent in stocks. That does make me feel better. I also like what nun a member said also about his strategy and the reach that was done. To increase stocks instead of going the other way.

OP, I'd say you should research "efficient frontier", which is an idea that says you can get a better return with less risk by investing in different asset classes.

What percentage would you put in to stock if you don't need the money to live on. Is the reason for lowering your stock/bond percent because you need it to live on and you want a more secure investment?

Would you feel comfortable leaving ratio at 80/20 in your late years of life if you really don't need it to live on?
I think it depends on your goals. Honestly, the only reason I can think to put that much in stock in my late years is because I intend that money to be an inheritance. And perhaps taking the dividends as income in the meantime, or reinvesting them for the heirs.

Personally, I would rather gift funds I was really sure I didn't need while I was still living and the recipient had more time to enjoy those funds.

The main reason I don't have that kind of equity exposure now is because we aren't in our later years, and we are drawing income off our investments. I don't care to take more equity exposure than I have to to meet my portfolio survival goals.

I'm 57, DH is 61, and we are around 53/42/5. I don't see dropping below 40% equities, but I don't really see going above 60% either. 40 to 60% equities is a sweet spot for a rebalanced portfolio, looking at the studies. (Some say 50% to 75%). Survival starts to roll off a bit once you approach 80% or drop under 40% looking at results like the Trinity study for a 30 year retirement. Clearly the higher the equity % the higher the long-term performance, but also the higher the volatility and the larger drawdown in any given year.

We don't have children and leaving a large legacy is not important to us. On the other hand, we do gift to siblings and their families, and plan to do so while we are alive rather than them having to wait until we croak. But we are conservative about that too, because we still (hopefully - knock on wood) have decades left, and who knows what kind of emergency could arise over that period of time that means we dip into our investments.

This is something I imagine we will be evaluating each decade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and would appreciate any more input on what you would do or if you would feel comfortable staying at high risk in your older age.

If I had no need for it to maintain my current lifestyle, then I'd put it all in stocks and use up some gains (when there are gains) for splurging.
If I didn't need it to "get by" but needed it to enjoy my life, then I'd be more conservative with the allocation.

That's my take. If you truly "don't need it" you can put it all on black at the roulette wheel and it doesn't matter.

I plan to drop my equity exposure to around 50% once I no longer earn income, and then gradually increase it back to about 60% later on in retirement. I like the idea of being a bit protected at the beginning of the period in case we have a drop at the start of the retirement period.

I see no reason to go above 60%. I don't need the extra 1-2% returns and I don't like having more volatility than I currently have.

We are in early 60's. I would be comfortable with higher risk in old age if I had assigned a purpose to some portion of our invested wealth. For example, if we had a sizeable amount set aside for benefit of children or grandchildren, and it may be used 20 years from now, I would be ok with high stock percentage, meaning 75-100% equity. But I would like to have some adjustment in the AA over time, and might choose a target fund of some kind.

So, we would have two portfolios, essentially.

+1 on the 'depends on your goals'.

Basically, once you have your own needs covered, what purpose does the surplus have?

In my (hypothetical) case, I don't have children and not planning on having them, nor do I have a strong cause very close to my heart. So any leftovers will go to someone or something undefined, hopefully in the far future. My nieces maybe, although it seems they have well off parents anyway :)

My main 'worry' with that money would be lost utility due to inflation, and long term growth. Both point to equities. So I would toss it all probably in the broadest index tracker I could find, vanguard VT or similar. Unless I found a better opportunity (private investment).

If I had an AA that worked for me I would follow that. If the AA was not working for me, I would find one that does and follow that.

IMHO, this question is like somebody wondering if they should buy accidental death insurance. If your dependents need the insurance after you die then they need it no matter how you die. If they don't need the money, why buy the insurance? Same with your AA. If it works, don't mess with success. If not, find an AA that works.

I realize others will disagree, but this is my 2¢.

We are 60 and 64. Our pensions cover our living expenses, not taking SS yet. I'm comfortable with a 70/30 stock / bond portfolio. I recall a graph posted here from time to time showing that a stock allocation above about 70% has diminishing long term returns.

My main desire to run up the score is to cover long term care should it be necessary and expensive. I don't want to see either one of us bankrupt the other while waiting out Alzheimer's.

Since I don't need my investments for living expenses (or have dependents), I tend to be a bit of a market timer with equity % varying between 40 and 100. I was last fully invested in 2009 but currently sit around 40% equities. I will again move toward being fully invested if/when the market has another significant decline. I feel comfortable with this strategy but I realize that others would not have a similar view.

somewhere in between 60/40 and 75/25

more important keep taxes and expenses low

My main desire to run up the score is to cover long term care should it be necessary and expensive. I don't want to see either one of us bankrupt the other while waiting out Alzheimer's.

I agree with this. You can't predict with your future budget/needs/wants with 100% certainty. I won't take big risks to cover unknown risks, but I won't shutdown once I have just a little buffer.

Basically, once you have your own needs covered, what purpose does the surplus have?

IMO Keeping ahead of future inflation would be one purpose.

I don't view my current needs (actual expenses) as covering my future expenses 10-20 years down the line. I'd think one would want to build up some protection against potential high inflation or unforeseen broadsides.

OTOH, I'm aware of some (very large) old family trust funds that are so well funded that a 2%-3% return is quite satisfactory against their draw requirements.

100 years of investing coupled to a dwindling set of distributions makes it easy to just ride the low return train.

We have a high percentage (100%) in stocks but also have a very large pension which covers most of our basic needs. I have a very high risk tolerance with a fairly large portfolio. I have concluded that I am high in equities mostly for the benefit of my daughter and any grandkids as well as protecting against inflation since the pension is not Cola'ed. Been retired 10 years and this has worked out very well so far.

I think it all depends on your long term time frame and cash flow needs, but one of the biggest mistake people make in retirement and just in general is not having enough exposure to stocks! Yes, there is more volatility , but the volatility is the price one pays for substantially higher investment returns over time. I have friends that have committed financial suicide trying to "time the market" or claim "now things are different with Trump", etc, etc

I disagree. You only retire once. It's great to aim for higher returns in your early years but retirement is about drawing income and enjoying what you've worked hard to save.

Now his situation is different since he doesn't need the money, he can decide to take more risks.

I am a market timer who practices "Tactical Asset Allocation". I try to fight fear to go to higher stock AA after the market tumbles, and to fight greed with a lower stock AA when the market gets to high evaluation. As I cannot be 100% sure, I never go 100% stock, nor under 50%. I am currently at 60%.

I've always been a believer in equities, and while working held virtually no bonds.

Since retiring 4 years ago, I've held a larger bond/cash position, knowing I'm not maximizing returns.

I decided to dial risk down, preferring comfort in riding out a major downturn with less loss, to the minimal extra pleasure/lifestyle enhancements/legacy building I'd derive from incremental gains.

I mean, even if I'd been all equities the last four years it's not like I'd have my own private jet. A new car, an extra vacation, some xtra $ for my kid, ok. But I'm pretty much stuck/satisfied with the lifestyle I've earned thru my work years no matter what returns my portfolio achieves now.

Back
Top Bottom