Join Early Retirement Today

What percentage of your retirement portfolio is in real estate?
Old 04-28-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

What percentage of your retirement portfolio is in real estate?

Until now I have always invested in stocks and bonds for my retirement portfolio. I am now considering diversifying to also invest in passive real estate (besides our home, which has been paid off). We plan to retire in 4-5 years, so I will be doing this investment pre-retirement.
My question is what percentage of your retirement portfolio do you have in real estate? Thanks for your thoughts!
sassnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have 10% of my retirement portfolio in REIT funds, all in a tax-deferred IRA.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have some rental properties, and the equity in them is about 30% of my net worth. Who knows if this is better or worse than the next investment, but it does make me feel like I have a bit of control and predictability that I might not otherwise have.
Iggysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

14.5% in REITs.
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'll say 0%. I do have some preferred stock issued by REITs but those are more bond-like and have only indirect risk with respect to real estate operations.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Zero.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #7

We have one rental property, but it is our former home. We did not buy it as an investment property but decided to relocate and want to preserve the opportunity to live in it again down the road if we choose. So far the return hasn’t been great and our income is too high to get any tax benefit, so financially we would be better off in the stock market for sure.

We also have about 20% of our portfolio in hard money loans. The return hasn’t been nearly as good as the market, but we view it as a diversification tool. The return is way higher than bonds so we have most of the rest of our portfolio in equities. These loans are held in my IRA, and could be a good source of cash flow if we wanted or had to take IRA distributions. However the return is variable over time (when a loan pays off the cash may sit idle for a month or more before reinvestment) so I wouldn’t want to count on it as a required part of our cash flow.

Generally real estate has not performed as well as the stock market over time. Unless you really crave being a landlord, or you like the idea of hard money loans, a diversified REIT can give you exposure to the category without the headaches.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Near 10% in REITs.

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

1-2 percent reits.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #10

Not counting the value of my primary home (which comprises about 7% of my total net worth), only about 1-2% in REITs.
Sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

80%
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Not counting the value of my primary home (which comprises about 7% of my total net worth), only about 1-2% in REITs.
Since the OP asked about the percentage of real estate in our retirement portfolio, I didn't include either of our homes since I don't consider them part of our retirement portfolio... just places where we live. If I had an income producing property then I would include it as part of the retirement portfolio. IOW, for us the retirement portfolio is everything other than our homes, cars and boats and the checking account that we use to pay our bills which typically has only $3-10k in it

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #13

67%. RE has been good to me.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

5% in REITS. I had more, but I'm not confident that Office and Retail are coming back.
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Probably 75% but it's farmland, so in my mind it's kind of an annuity...does double duty IMO...the annual rental income will cover a huge percentage of our retirement budget.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Zero
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Do we count primary residence as RE investment? It is 50% of the NW. Other than that, 10% in REIT.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #18

About 50% of invested portfolio in SFH and Multifamily RE. I keep trying to bring RE holding to 40% but it always grows faster than what I contribute annually to my stocks! Crazy.

PS: I am not counting primary home which is a large acreage.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #19

Zero because of the below.

I am currently managing a property owned by a relative though I cannot really call it a rental since the tenant (former long-term employee of my relative) no longer pays rent since at this point in their life they can no longer work & so can't afford to pay for both rent & groceries.

Since the house is supposed to go to the tenant anyway on the death of my relative I've been pressuring them to go ahead & give it away now...the tenant could then sell it at today's high prices & live off the proceeds for a few years at least.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #20
Administrator

Zero