Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Unit of measure is better as # of months budget covered vs % AA. My cash/MM is > 5 yrs after other fixed income sources and < 10% of AA. Will move more to stocks with another 10+% dip towards 52 week lows. Somehow I watched the March low without trading.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #122
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was considering moving reallocating more stock in my TSP but thought better of it and still remain 10% stocks and 90% treasuries.

The PPP program is almost depleted with no additional legislation in the pipeline, banks are way down, and unemployment continues to spike up.

Don't see things getting any better in the near future.
airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

50/50
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was 50/50, but just moved a large chunk from index funds to a stable value fund (bonds) in my 401k. Now I am closer to 45/55. I wanted a bit more asset preservation and have a somewhat gloomy feeling about a significant downturn in the next couple months. Its one thing for the government to declare "back to work", but another thing to convince consumers to come out in mass. I for one will be staying around the house for the foreseeable future. And I believe I am not alone.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #125

32% bonds, 8% cash. Living off investment income only.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #126

Well , I wouldn't consider it safe, but I have a little over 40% in a global bond fund that went down about half of what the market did. It's bounced back some since then. It's safer than stocks, but not safe. I also have a little in cash. Cash would be safe, but it doesn't pay anything in this environment and I need income. I shouldn't say cash doesn't pay anything, it pays too little for my taste.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold my last fund Tuesday on an uptick. 100% cash now. I feel blessed to be only 3-4% down this year. Tuesday felt like a good opportunity to bail.

Market timing? Yes, definitely, but im losing faith in the actual value of stocks/bonds since there's so much funny money out there now.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #128
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
I was considering moving reallocating more stock in my TSP but thought better of it and still remain 10% stocks and 90% treasuries.

The PPP program is almost depleted with no additional legislation in the pipeline, banks are way down, and unemployment continues to spike up.

Don't see things getting any better in the near future.
Edited: PPP program depleted.
airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #129

I've got quite a bit sitting in Pimco's Income Fund (PIMIX/PONAX). It took a pretty good hit, in the area of 8%, but it looks like it's starting to crawl back out of the hole. A recent Financial Times article said Pimco lost a lot of AUM last month because of share redemptions -- not surprising. We'll see if it comes back as well as it did in 2008-'09.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Roughly 20% in short term and intermediate bond funds, as well as cash. I can live off of this 20% for at least a decade.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #131

Just completed more corporate bond sales today and now I'm 41% cash 59% corporate bonds. I'm up 5.6% YTD and staying with corporate bonds of companies in technology, telecom, pharma, and biotech. I have plenty of dry powder to pick up bargains on the next fixed income sell-off which will likely be triggered by cascading defaults in retail, travel and leisure, commercial real estate, and oil and gas sector bonds.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain skier View Post
94% cash...retiring in May...we will both have pensions to help as well. Before this virus nightmare we were up to 50/50
at least try to protect your cash from inflation.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #133

And how is that done?
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Increased cash and reduced equity
Old 04-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Increased cash and reduced equity

I have a very diversified portfolio with a fair amount of rental real estate. Still pulled a few hundred K out of equities and will put it in MM or rolling over short term bonds so always cash on hand to live for 3 -5 years if things get truly nuts.

What would be truly nuts but not out of the realm of possibility is if this virus mutates and becomes more deadly, or another one pops up. Then virtually all leisure activities done in groups would end. Travel, theatre, concerts, sports finished! Ultimately all manufacturing becomes essential just on a much reduced scale. We will still need clothes, appliances, food, places to live etc so businesses would have to adapt.

On the other hand, I have forecast 35 years living well in retirement, but in that kind of world where it is only safe to be at home or away from people, I probably would be okay not living nearly so long!

Adequate Balanced portfolio. 40% equity, 20% LTrm income/bonds, 40% income producing real estate. ER is the Greatest! Actually DW is the greatest! And loving life as never before...
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:51 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
And how is that done?
Just put your cash into the safest interest-bearing CDs, annuities or similarly secure short-term investments. Right now inflation is very low, in fact deflation seems to be the direction we're headed in. That is one of the reasons CD rates are so low - there's no inflation to worry about.

When that changes, and inflation kicks in, money will become more expensive. All interest rates - including CDs - will go up because lenders will adjust their rates to account for the diminished Present Value of money over the lending term.

Back in '16, I put $120K in an annuity paying 3.85% for 5 years as my security blanket. I second guessed myself many times on this one, but I'm sleeping much better these days.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #136

virtually no interest-bearing security exposure currently , maybe 1% via some LICs

i don't normally count the property interests outside the REITs holdings , the value is notional , those real estate folks will tell you anything , the tenant is out of work currently so the property is really only generating solar power rebates .

so a widely diversified equity portfolio about 5% cash some divs and solar power income , life could be worse

in a climate of rapidly shifting rules no debt instruments for me , not even a personal credit card

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #137

I have about 70% of my fixed or bond side in a stable value fund earning 2.9%. I have an opportunity to go all in at 100% via my tax privileged account. Wondering if this is a good idea at this time.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #138

Only emergency fund which is about 2%. Disclaimer: I not FIREd yet.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #139
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I have about 70% of my fixed or bond side in a stable value fund earning 2.9%. I have an opportunity to go all in at 100% via my tax privileged account. Wondering if this is a good idea at this time.
Do you have other options in your (401k) in case Stable Value rates decrease in the near future?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #140

All the fixed earning rates will or have dropped. Most HY accounts are below 2%. I had over $200k in one that has been paying 2.7% for 3 years now. 4/13 they lowered it to 2%. Inflation is low now, so 2% keeps pace. But Long term cash keeping pace, when inflation takes off is what I meant. I don’t know if a short term annuity paying 3.5% is even possible today. I’m not worried in the least, but it is a good talking point, since I do expect inflation to rise with the government printing money.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote