Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What problems are there with Personal Capital?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What problems are there with Personal Capital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Quicken. I'm in the process of trying Personal Capital, but have run into some snags
I'm seriously looking into Personal Capital as we bought the new Quicken for Mac which mostly works well but there is one serious snag we have. So what problems have you had with Personal Capital? (Other than they want to manage your money for a high fee.)
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I used Quicken and Morningstar in the past, now I use Excel (which works fine for my very simple buy-and-hold portfolio).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #23

Unlike many on this forum I use two different personal investment managers (not financial advisors). I am one of those who really like the idea of someone else managing my money. It has nothing to do with my financial skill set as I'm as well read as anyone and have a financial background. However I love the idea of not having the responsibility of managing my portfolio.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quicken to get the big picture of all account balances, then use a spreadsheet to do any portfolio computations such as withdrawals and rebalancing.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm seriously looking into Personal Capital as we bought the new Quicken for Mac which mostly works well but there is one serious snag we have. So what problems have you had with Personal Capital? (Other than they want to manage your money for a high fee.)
The only issue I have had is that sometimes the accounts are not available to link or the credit card I add does not work. I contact them via email and have fixed it within a day or even as long as a week to get it linked. Sometimes the account does not update and you are required to add your password for the account. These are rare instances as I have used it for about 9 months, excellent for tracking investments/income/expenses/investment allocation etc....
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #26

I use USAA and Personal Capital. USAA links all my accounts well, but it is massively lacking in tools to analyze the accounts accurately. Personal Capital does a great job of tracking things and providing analytic tools for my accounts, by my ADP 401k isn't supported for automatic updates so I have to manually update that account when funds are bought/sold. If not for that, I'd be very pleased with Personal Capital.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
The only issue I have had is that sometimes the accounts are not available to link or the credit card I add does not work. I contact them via email and have fixed it within a day or even as long as a week to get it linked. Sometimes the account does not update and you are required to add your password for the account. These are rare instances as I have used it for about 9 months, excellent for tracking investments/income/expenses/investment allocation etc....
Those are the issues I experienced with Personal Capital too. Plus, it would not import my 401k no matter what I did or tried. I finally gave up on P.C.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Quicken to track investment lots and a hybrid of Excel Spreadsheet and Personal Capital for detailed slice 'n dice analysis. I'm in the process of evaluating P.C. for our needs, so I run it in parallel with my trusty spreadsheet - once I decide which one works best for us, I'll quit the other.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
Given you have investments across multiple providers/accounts, what do you use to manage them all as a whole? Do you provide the tool account information to get into these accounts? ...I have a huge issue with trust in terms of security of giving them any log in info and wondering what others do. TX!
I just use Excel (really Open Office since I do not want to pay for software that I can get for free). Bear in mind that I am a long term "Excel Junkie" and I actually love recording things in my spreadsheets. I do my analyses and graphs there too, since for me that is easiest and most fun. And, since I did them myself, I know exactly how the computations were done so to me that is a "plus".

I have taxable and Roth IRA at Vanguard, and the TSP and my bricks'n'mortar bank accounts. That's 5 numbers needed from Vanguard for my 5 funds, 1 from the TSP, and 1 from the bank.

So, each day I log into Vanguard, the TSP, and my bank, and copy the 7 total numbers that I obtain into my master retirement/investment spreadsheets in Excel. For me it takes almost no time at all. Piece o' cake.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just use Excel (really Open Office since I do not want to pay for software that I can get for free). Bear in mind that I am a long term "Excel Junkie" and I actually love recording things in my spreadsheets. I do my analyses and graphs there too, since for me that is easiest and most fun. And, since I did them myself, I know exactly how the computations were done so to me that is a "plus".
+1. I am a long term "Excel Junkie" but one of the main reasons I use Excel for managing all our finances is I know every underlying assumption and calculation that goes into it. And I can change as needed, though the changes so far have been cosmetic. I sometimes use free software packages to double check myself, but that's as far as I go with other software. If you use other software, whether free or paid, there's a black box aspect to it I can't be comfortable with. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #31

Any portfolio manager needs to account for all the places you have investment money. Most brokerages have an online tool - but it only analyzes the investments you have with them. Morningstar does provide a free tool where you can include everything, but you need to update it as balances, #shares, etc, change. Plus it gives a good analysis on asset allocation in it's X-Ray tool.

I do use the Portfolio tool at Schwab but only as a guide. Everything else is in Excel, or Google docs (whatever flavor you prefer) where I can see the entire asset allocation and make choices about rebalancing, doing a what-if analysis.

- Rita
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Excel. I create a new workbook every year which has changed drastically over time. What is really interesting is going back a decade and seeing how things looked.

Out of curiosity, how does everyone else update the current prices. Personally I use the following:

Quote:
=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s="&G90&"&f=l1"))
Where G90 is the ticker...
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #33

i use the old pencil and paper method, i have a 2008 date book, every year in the begging of january i go and check all the balances, my 2 457 accounts, my checkbook, vanguard, td ameritrade, and money stashed under the mattress so thats 6 entries, takes about 30 minutes, most of the time is spent trying to remember the passwords. i first retired in the height of the great recession, so i never looked at balances too depressing, no re-balancing, just dollar cost averaging , i dont change anything so i dont need to look them up much
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #34

I have an Excel spreadsheet......but I've basically stopped using it since I retired. Before ER every month I would transfer the numbers from my 457, Vanguard and TIAA accounts and periodically rebalance and track my total return etc. Now I just reinvest dividends and don't really bother to rebalance or worry about my AA. The AA given in my signature is around 6 months old so I imagine I now have more equities.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post
...Out of curiosity, how does everyone else update the current prices....
I have a Google Sheets document that lists all my marketable securities and automatically updates their prices at the end of the day. When I want to update my Excel document, I open the Google Sheet, copy the prices, then paste THE VALUES into my Excel input area. I'm still considering this, but it eliminates the need to manually enter ten values every day.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
I have a Google Sheets document that lists all my marketable securities and automatically updates their prices at the end of the day. When I want to update my Excel document, I open the Google Sheet, copy the prices, then paste THE VALUES into my Excel input area. I'm still considering this, but it eliminates the need to manually enter ten values every day.
You can use the formula I posted above. Press ctrl+alt+F9 and excel will automatically download the current price.
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Google Sheets with Google Finance functions to track current value and YTD growth by fund.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #38

I use Quicken to track daily expenses and the portfolio. My 401k updates are pulled from the investment company into Quicken. Other investment accounts get updated manually. I use Quicken to monitor allocations. I use an Excel spreadsheet to show planned asset locations and movements throughout retirement much along the lines of ORP. It calculates annual taxes, RMD/QCDs with transfers to taxable accounts, charities, etc. I built the thing, but I don't remember how the formulas work, I have to study it a bit when I do the annual updates in January. I have many more small spread sheets all of which are linked into an overall Word financial plan along with many snapshots from Quicken reports. It is all set up so DD can step in when the time comes.

As Quicken moves to a high-price luxury, I may move everything to an account entry tool and build some more spreadsheets or use a database for analysis. I have not really done detailed analytical spread sheeting or SQL for many years. I'm not sure if my retired brain is up to it!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #39

Personal Capital for me.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #40

Personal Capital appears to lack a function to download your data. I prefer SigFig which does have that ability. However, the latter is really only geared for investment monitoring but that's of most interest to me.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote