What portfolio management tool do you use?

CountryGal

Recycles dryer sheets
Given you have investments across multiple providers/accounts, what do you use to manage them all as a whole? Do you provide the tool account information to get into these accounts? ...I have a huge issue with trust in terms of security of giving them any log in info and wondering what others do. TX!

I use quicken. I download the data into quicken... I can then analyse asset allocations/etc using quickens data or morningstar (linked within quicken.)

I really like Personal Capital it is the best one that I have used and you can add your credit cards so it tracks expenses and income along with all the investment accounts.

To manage requires going to either Fidelity or Vanguard, but for casual tracking I use Google Sheets.

I just rely on Vanguard. It's portfolio tool (Yodlee) lets me grab ETrade, my 401K, DW's 401K, and even my HSA (that one surprised me). I add I-bonds/savings bonds manually, as well as savings accounts. It will import my bank account(s) but grabs both savings and checking so I just do savings manually.

Where Vanguard fails is that it does not correctly categorize all of my outside holdings - especially complicated ones like "S&P500 Index" from my 401K - it cannot figure out that is Stock, and won't let me manually categorize it :mad: So once in a while I d/l a spreadsheet and clean up the categories to look at my overall AA.

Microsoft Money

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Quicken... and I then import my positions into an Excel spreadsheet that I use to analyze my AA in relation to my target AA and what, if any, adjustment that I need to make.

Excel workbook.
At the end of each month I capture fund totals and calculate the AA.
I also save account totals for historical charts.

Anything else, I login to Vanguard or Schwab.

Excel also - for everything financial, AA tracking/analysis, asset class correlation, net worth detail, annuitization hurdle, 30 yr accrual expense estimates, budget/spending analysis, etc. Fortunately they'll transfer to Sheets or Numbers if needed despite some complexity.

Last edited:
Numbers spreadsheet.
Apple finally added the capability to have live updates on stock prices which is very nice. I'm in the camp of those who won't give my account passwords to a consolidator.

Excel spreadsheet, here, too. I have my investments listed and I just update the current values yearly and the sheet tells me what to sell and buy to maintain my asset allocation.

Quicken. I'm in the process of trying Personal Capital, but have run into some snags

USAA allows viewing all my accounts except Synchrony. I use an Excel spreadsheet to do my quarterly net worth reviews.

Excel spreadsheet.

What problems are there with Personal Capital?

Quicken. I'm in the process of trying Personal Capital, but have run into some snags

I'm seriously looking into Personal Capital as we bought the new Quicken for Mac which mostly works well but there is one serious snag we have. So what problems have you had with Personal Capital? (Other than they want to manage your money for a high fee.:nonono:)

I used Quicken and Morningstar in the past, now I use Excel (which works fine for my very simple buy-and-hold portfolio).

Unlike many on this forum I use two different personal investment managers (not financial advisors). I am one of those who really like the idea of someone else managing my money. It has nothing to do with my financial skill set as I'm as well read as anyone and have a financial background. However I love the idea of not having the responsibility of managing my portfolio.

Quicken to get the big picture of all account balances, then use a spreadsheet to do any portfolio computations such as withdrawals and rebalancing.

I'm seriously looking into Personal Capital as we bought the new Quicken for Mac which mostly works well but there is one serious snag we have. So what problems have you had with Personal Capital? (Other than they want to manage your money for a high fee.:nonono:)

The only issue I have had is that sometimes the accounts are not available to link or the credit card I add does not work. I contact them via email and have fixed it within a day or even as long as a week to get it linked. Sometimes the account does not update and you are required to add your password for the account. These are rare instances as I have used it for about 9 months, excellent for tracking investments/income/expenses/investment allocation etc....

Back
Top Bottom