Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #21
gone traveling

Long commute with highway construction.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't retired per se.
But 3.5 years ago I walked away from my job at megacorp without another job in hand.
The numbers in Firecalc suggested I would be okay if I lived on 3% withdrawal rate.
I had a 9/80 work schedule which would seem to be great since I got every other Friday off, but it wasn't. I was tired all the time. It was a 50-minute one-way commute. I hated my job. I was not doing what I was best at.

The final straw was when management put me on a project with an impossible schedule. I knew I would have to go in on Saturdays and work 10 hour days to have any hope of meeting the schedule. All no-pay since I was salary. No f***ing way!

Fortunately, my 1 year with the company was approaching, so I gave my notice and got the 25% vesting of the 401k.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I was turning 60, just paid off our home and the job was becoming very stressful with a huge project coming up. My boss was becoming weirder each day, over looked me on a promotion to lead the project so decided it was time. I guess the bottom line was my boss was becoming a narcistist and only cared about protecting himself and taking all the credit and never any blame. I could have sucked it up but when I saw others suffering I felt life was too short to be working for a demanding jerk. that was three years ago and I have never regretted my decision. My wife is happier and we are doing very well. I miss som elf the people at work but we have moved on.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
Somewhat similar. I got the phone call from HR the day I returned from a vacation. (I was a telecommuter). I kind of guessed something was wrong when I found myself shut out of email and the network drives, and tech support just responded with..."Well lets see, it looks like your access was changed because.......aaah someone will get back to you soon...."

Spineless pond scum.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had planned our retirement date based on when a substantial bonus would pay out. A year before, I still wasn't 100% sure. That changed due to these factors:
1. New boss who was very laid back the first 9 months became a micro-managing control freak. I think he always was but just restrained himself at first. When I gave notice he said "But I thought everything was going so well" ... so I guess I did a great job pretending it was all good to make sure I got my big bonus.
2. Horrible commute that was getting worse and worse
3. Long list of other interests I wanted to pursue
4. Serious illnesses or sudden death impacted 6 different friends within about 6 months, ages 47-72 with most in their 50's. DH & I are in our mid-50's, very healthy, but this was a reminder that life as we know it could end quickly.
RE 4 months ago and have loved every day! Exploring new interests, spending more time on fitness, seeing family, and planning a big trip are WAY more fun than work! Don't miss it at all!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I always knew that if I reached FI I would retire.

But what brought it into very sharp focus was losing my mother when she was only 63. Right as my Dad finally retired.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #27

I am nearly 7 years older than my father lived. He got less than 36 retirement checks before death, after working 40+ years. I hope to keep on getting checks, from pensions and investments. Plus, all that corporate work was meaningless. Where are all those files I Produced? Trashcan, I presume. Retirement is great.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #28

One thing people on this forum helped me recognize was that despite how valuable you may be or think you are to your company, they will pretty easily adapt once you are no longer there. I wish I wouldn't have wasted so much energy agonizing over when I should resign and how much notice I should give. Clearly I did the right think sticking with the 30-day notice period required by my employment contract, despite initial pleading and pressure that I stay longer. My team was able to cover key responsibilities just fine after I left, and my replacement was on board less than 3 months later. I've only been contacted once for a minor question. Meanwhile I have also moved on and am loving retirement! If you aren't ready to retire, then by all means don't rush it, but don't stay longer than you want to out of guilt or concern about how they'll survive without you.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #29

One important issue was the desire to spend winters in a warm place.

Now w*rk part time (some would argue not REALLY retired...) on my own schedule. Extra money is nice, but the flexibility of working/not working is what really "floats my boat".....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #30

Good point above, they will not miss you when you are gone.
iloveyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But what brought it into very sharp focus was losing my mother when she was only 63. Right as my Dad finally retired.
+1

Lost a younger relative when she was only 56 and a very good friend just after he retired at 65.

I saw this cartoon in the ER forums. The truth of it struck me like a ton of bricks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Relayed elsewhere in these pages, within a few years of joining Megacorp, I formed a mental picture of the perfect (call it a) j*b, w*rk assignment, "duty." By my late 40's, I had created just such a reality. It doesn't seem possible in this day that someone buried in a Megacorp could do such a thing, but I did.

I became FI at age 51 (company subsidized retirement medical and modest pension plus a very nice stash which would carry me to SS.) But I still "loved" the position I had been able to crate for myself. There wasn't a huge future in it (not likely to get that final promotion) and there are always Corp. politics and BS to deal with. But I was still enjoying what I was doing.

At age 58, I got called into the boss' office on a Friday afternoon and was informed that my assignment was changing to one I had been stuck in many years before. I thought about it over the Labor Day weekend and on Tues., I informed the boss that my last w*rking day would be that Friday (though I would be empl*yed through the end of the month due to vacation saved, etc.)

I guess you could say I had my finger on the trigger for 7 years and pulled it the second I no longer wanted to stay. It was kind of a nice feeling, though I suppose I would have preferred somewhat different circumstances.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
One thing people on this forum helped me recognize was that despite how valuable you may be or think you are to your company, they will pretty easily adapt once you are no longer there.

Granted, I wasn't all that invaluable to Megaconglomocorp, but let me digress to a bemusing anecdote...

My first RIF, in the late 90s, occurred when I was a staff flunky, having sneaked out of the tech side under the mistaken impression I might be able to climb the corporate ladder a rung or two. One of my tasks was to coordinate sending important "stuff" to corporate archives. Being a R&D group, it was deemed important to save prototypes, lab notebooks, etc., for patent issues, tracking corporate "history", and to help all the engineering staff clear all the crap out of their offices. [emoji12]

Anywho, about half the department, including me, was summarily dismissed, to reduce costs, i.e. get rid of older w*rkers, and their high salaries and retiree benefits. But, as it turned out, they had to staff up again to meet milestones, and I sneaked back in as a technogeek within a few months, most fortunately soon enough that I retained seniority, preserving my retiree health insurance benefit, without which I'd still be w*rking.

Fast forward several years, and Megaconglomocorp decided that the foundries in Asia could do much of their process development, so, again, a big chunk of the department, including me, were canned.

Amusingly, one of the branch managers in my group called me shortly after the announcement, inquiring about getting his stuff back from corporate archives. I did some checking, and no one seemed to know anything about it, and a web search produced nothing. Apparently, the corporate archive was moved, then forgotten... Never found it...

When I was laid off, twice, and then when I retired, no one wanted my files, notebooks, etc., so they were all trashed.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'd saved and invested my entire working life and planned to work until 57-58. My job was eliminated at the age of 55 and though I'd reached FI, I wasn't psychologically ready to retire at the time. This was in 2009 and there were no jobs in my field for someone my age. I finally gave up the job search and made the adjustment to the non-working life.
edsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #35

My reason was much simpler . . . just because I could! I cut my schedule from 40 hrs to 30 hours per week for 2-1/2 yrs - my j*b was not stressful and it didn't require me to work very hard. I just decided I didn't want to w*rk based on a schedule so I told them I was done. They call me from time to time and ask if I am available for a day or so and if I am I agree to go in. If not, I say no. What could be better!!!!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
the math
Old 03-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

the math

I set the date of age 50 to retire when I was 40. I was on track. I had a big job at a multi-billion dollar company and I was playing it right. Drove a Honda when every one one of my peers was driving a BMW. When I got the golden parachute at age 48 I was a little unsure what to do...it was 2 years earlier than I had thought...I had a job drop in my lap where I could work from home and do some exotic travel....so I went back to work. Then working nearly part time from home ....it is so hard to cut the umbilical cord .... to rely on your own money rather than the money someone else gives you. I kept running calculators and ALL said 100% that I had enough. I prayed for them to let me go...finally they did. I smiled and said 'thank you'---not sure I could have said 'stop giving me money' so they helped make it happen and it was the happiest day of my life. I woke my husband up and said 'guess what? I just got canned!' he high fived me and we celebrated for a week!
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #37

My goal, set when I was still a teenager, was to retire at 55.

So when I actually reached that age (and was FI beyond a doubt), I started planning my exit. As it happened, the small company was bought out by a megacorp at about that time and rumors began to circulate about a big layoff.

As an older, more highly paid employee, I assumed I'd be included in the layoff and given some sort of package. That's exactly what happened when I reached 55 ⅓ so I was absolutely thrilled. The only hard part was that on layoff day when I was called in to be "given the news", my boss seemed to be devastated. No amount of reassurance on my part that I was happy about it could get a smile on her face. Of course, she got the axe herself a year or so later.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Cancer... 28 years ago.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Cancer... 28 years ago.

You couldn't have just been sick of work, like the rest of us? [emoji6]

Glad you're still among us...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #40

1. Qualified two years prior for retirement/health care benefits by meeting "rule of 80" (age plus job tenure).
2. Job stress was becoming increasingly difficult to shed over the weekends. (I'm still working about 40% online with virtually no stress. Maybe I'm not retired according to the purists--but I feel retired.) And we successfully finished a major project.
3. Oldest and his wife were in California and planning on a baby.
4. Not much trout fishing or skiing in Texas.
5. DW was ready to go to the West Coast and was about to be laid off (she worked online 6 months after the move to Reno before the hammer came down). So we did it on our own terms.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote