Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Hey Ownyourfuture...

BTW, you example of the $2 paper and $2 coins is a bad one... if you invested that hypothetical $2 it would have grown over time... and would be worth MUCH more than the silver coins....

So, you say you want silver and that is fine and dandy.... but for the life of me I cannot understand why....
I understand & agree with the first point. The hypothetical $2 dollars invested in a low-cost mutual fund, would be worth much, much, more than the 2 silver dollars.

But, you have to keep in mind that this is only going to be approximately 5.00% of my portfolio. If it underperforms, I don't care.

It's only a hedge, or dare I say a little bit of a hobby. I enjoyed collecting coins when I was younger.

Hopefully this will help you understand.
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
Correction

I'm having a bad math weekend.
I've been stating, that a $10,000.00 investment in silver would be about 5% of my portfolio.

In actuality, it would only be about 1.00%

Now everyone knows my net worth
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 3,327
One of the issues in the case of a collapse is while others might take gold or silver how do you get change? Silver because it is lower value per ounce is better than gold here, as it would be easier to exchange it for desired goods. (this is assuming a reversion to a barter based society, allthough I would admit a smith and wesson or equivalent would also be necessary, at least until the vigilance committees arise (see san francisco history )
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
[QUOTE=calmloki;1875057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
...
ATTN calmloki

No condescension intended - it amused me to imagine other possible uses for silver. Sounds like you want silver because you want it, even though you aren't going all in on it and only plan to own a small percentage of your NW in silver. Sounds much like me with the small physical gold holding I mentioned. No good solid defensible reason, but who cares? - you want it you want it.
A more than fair reply

Thanks
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 6,324
Personally I like US Silver Eagles. 99.9% pure silver and they are very easy to buy and sell but of course you'll pay a premium (typically $2 to $3 over spot) just because they are minted "Sliver Eagles". You can often find Silver Eagles at coin shows with the lowest premiums if you look around. Also, unless you are a collector (numismatics) you'll probably want to only buy the current years coins (e.g. 2017 mintage) since the older coins typically carry some additional collectors value, depending on the year, up to more than double current melt value for the 1994 minted coins.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Personally I like US Silver Eagles. 99.9% pure silver and they are very easy to buy and sell but of course you'll pay a premium (typically $2 to $3 over spot) just because they are minted "Sliver Eagles". You can often find Silver Eagles at coin shows with the lowest premiums if you look around. Also, unless you are a collector (numismatics) you'll probably want to only buy the current years coins (e.g. 2017 mintage) since the older coins typically carry some additional collectors value, depending on the year, up to more than double current melt value for the 1994 minted coins.
Thanks
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado
Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 26
Silver down ~2% today & under $17/oz. I only buy the rounds. Not coins.

I've found that SDbullion APMEX has the lowest overhead (premium + shipping). I've bought the "generic" rounds and I've been very happy with what I've received.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dash man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
One of the issues in the case of a collapse is while others might take gold or silver how do you get change? Silver because it is lower value per ounce is better than gold here, as it would be easier to exchange it for desired goods. (this is assuming a reversion to a barter based society, allthough I would admit a smith and wesson or equivalent would also be necessary, at least until the vigilance committees arise (see san francisco history )


I don't think anyone expects to be buying goods with silver and gold. In the event of a financial collapse precious metals would still be exchanged for currency, but they would get much more for each ounce. If things get so bad that we go back to a gold standard, some current estimates with all the money supply added, are that gold would be priced at between $9,000 to $10,000 per ounce. Will that happen...Who knows? Even a barter system is not out of the question in the case of war.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 129
If you look at the US Debt Clock.org it values gold at $7315 and silver at $885. Not sure why it states this. OP you may want to buy today, silver is down 40 cents right now.
Refresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresher View Post
If you look at the US Debt Clock.org it values gold at $7315 and silver at $885. Not sure why it states this. OP you may want to buy today, silver is down 40 cents right now.
I noticed that too. It's been going down for a couple weeks now.
I'm starting to notice it on the price of the coins I'm buying.
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 129
There telling us something
Refresher is offline   Reply With Quote
if it makes you happy do it
Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
if it makes you happy do it

i own gold coins, it makes me happy, if im deluded and dead wrong i sleep better at night thinking its for a good cause. one of my brother in laws who i dislike immensely, said i should have sold them when gold was about 1800 an ounce. they are to me like an insurance policy , i didnt buy them to get rich. i wanted to point out to him he inherited in 1988 700k from his parents that died 6 weeks apart and they now have a portfolio of less than 600k. but he has a masters degree , worked one of those 40 hour but i only do 8 hours a week jobs, got paid mid 100's, left at 55 type guys, slim athletic and knows everything. i got a ged, finished college at night, fat, bald, had to have fist fights at work till my last day, spent tons of time in the emergency room for getting beat up and hurt, make run on sentences, use terrible grammar, have almost 4 million in the market have a 1.2 million home paid off,and have 100 ounces in gold coins, that i have had for over 17 years, i worked till i was 46 and my best pay check was 961 a week take home. they have a wonderful house in some 55 and over community in arizona because its cheap and has tennis. original poster u want to buy a few silver coins, do it , it makes u happy do it. enjoy them
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
i own gold coins, it makes me happy, if im deluded and dead wrong i sleep better at night thinking its for a good cause. one of my brother in laws who i dislike immensely, said i should have sold them when got was about 1800 an ounce. they are to me like an insurance policy , i didnt buy them to get rich. i wanted to point out to him he inherited in 1988 700k from his parents that died 6 weeks apart and they now have a portfolio of less than 600k. but he has a masters degree , worked one of those 40 hour but i only do 8 hours a week jobs, got paid mid 100's, left at 55 type guys, slim athletic and knows everything. i got a ged, finished college at night, fat, bald, had to have fist fights at work till my last day, spent tons of time in the emergency room for getting beat up and hurt, make run on sentences, use terrible grammar, have almost 4 million in the market have a 1.2 million home paid off,and have 100 ounces in gold coins, that i have had for over 17 years, i worked till i was 46 and my best pay check was 961 a week take home. they have a wonderful house in some 55 and over community in arizona because its cheap and has tennis. original poster u want to buy a few silver coins, do it , it makes u happy do it. enjoy them
Best reply yet

Thanks!
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
i own gold coins, it makes me happy, if im deluded and dead wrong i sleep better at night thinking its for a good cause. one of my brother in laws who i dislike immensely, said i should have sold them when gold was about 1800 an ounce. they are to me like an insurance policy , i didnt buy them to get rich. i wanted to point out to him he inherited in 1988 700k from his parents that died 6 weeks apart and they now have a portfolio of less than 600k. but he has a masters degree , worked one of those 40 hour but i only do 8 hours a week jobs, got paid mid 100's, left at 55 type guys, slim athletic and knows everything. i got a ged, finished college at night, fat, bald, had to have fist fights at work till my last day, spent tons of time in the emergency room for getting beat up and hurt, make run on sentences, use terrible grammar, have almost 4 million in the market have a 1.2 million home paid off,and have 100 ounces in gold coins, that i have had for over 17 years, i worked till i was 46 and my best pay check was 961 a week take home. they have a wonderful house in some 55 and over community in arizona because its cheap and has tennis. original poster u want to buy a few silver coins, do it , it makes u happy do it. enjoy them
The above post is hard to read with no caps and all sentences and partial sentences running together. Not sure what the message is, though.

I have a few hundred Walking Liberty half dollars that are each worth $0.50 that my Dad left to me. I had to pay for his funeral, though.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
What’s The Best Way To Invest-Speculate In Silver Coins ?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.
Al in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus
Posts: 983
What’s The Best Way To Invest-Speculate In Silver Coins ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not being political with this post... but I had a boss who was always talking about silver and gold... and how it would protect him etc. etc....


So my question to you is.... how is $10K of silver going to change your life in any way if everything goes to heck

The thing folks here don't seem to understand that in a hyperinflation scenario when the value of currency plummets, at the same time the value of real gold or silver skyrockets. A small silver dime pre- hyper inflation worth a few dollars now, when HI occurs would be readily traded for a entire meal for a family of four.

Here is what happened to Germany post WW1:

"In January of 1919, one ounce of silver was worth approximately 12 Deutsche Marks. By the end of 1923, one ounce of silver was worth 543,750,000,000 Deutsche marks"


So the OP is not banking on 500 ounces of silver still be worth what $10k WAS before hyperinflation when he was buying it up, but the fact that 500 ounces of silver could probably safely keep a family readily buying all essential staples on the black market for many years ( which is how some families holding precious metals or diamonds did in fact survive much more comfortably than their peers).
__________________
Ohio INTJ ENG ER as of 2016
Al in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have a few hundred Walking Liberty half dollars that are each worth $0.50 that my Dad left to me. I had to pay for his funeral, though.
Even in poor condition, you could sell the Walking L's for around $7.00 each.

Sorry about your Dad
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
i explained the grammar in the body of my rant
Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
i explained the grammar in the body of my rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The above post is hard to read with no caps and all sentences and partial sentences running together. Not sure what the message is, though.

I have a few hundred Walking Liberty half dollars that are each worth $0.50 that my Dad left to me. I had to pay for his funeral, though.
.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 23,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The above post is hard to read with no caps and all sentences and partial sentences running together. Not sure what the message is, though.
.
And typing your reply in the Title line makes it impossible to quote you.
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 6,637
Back to OP's question for a moment, I prefer US coins to own silver. The premium to hold in this fashion IS higher than rounds or bars. However, under "normal" circumstances, US coinage will most likely retain its premium and repay that premium upon liquidation. Also, if the economy gets into serious trouble, US coins are known throughout the world. Hard to guess what they might be worth, but they almost certainly would maintain a significant premium to any paper currency (though that is speculation on my part - based on previous history.) By the way, I like having a mix of dimes, quarters and halves as that makes the problem of "change" less of an issue if the time comes we begin to buy in silver coins again. (I just threw that in for free.:cool smiley

Okay, now for the Koolau philosophy of PMs. Said before, someone with more time than I'm willing to spend should be able to find documentation which shows PMs modulating the ups and downs of portfolios when held in the 3 to 5% range. I've seen these often enough to know they exist. This appears to be due to the typical near complete lack of correlation between PMs and equities/bonds.

During the recent "unpleasantness" of the late double aughts, my personal portfolio lost nothing for two reasons. My allocation to equites was in the 30% range AND my commitment to PMs made up all (more) than the losses. Not suggesting that will always be true, but it was (for me) validation of the "hold 3-5% PMs" suggestion of many. True enough, my portfolio would have higher value NOW if I committed more to equities all along. BUT I would have slept less and I have enough - assuming the lack of black swans.

The two extremes always mentioned in conjunction with PMs are, of course: 1) PMs don't earn interest/dividends (and cost storage or have possible loss due to fire/theft etc.) and 2) ITSHTF only lead will be valuable. I don't dispute either of these. Still, I consider them straw man arguments because there are so many other (more likely) situations. 1) I don't hold PMs to make money. I hold them as "insurance" against loss (insurance cost money!) 2) Most down-turn situations are NOT TSHTF. I consider high inflation or near hyper-inflation more likely. Another 9/11 or worse could happen. A 20 trillion (or more) US debt "comes due" due to circumstances we do not now know of. Many more. In most of these cases (and just about anything else between "normal" and TSHTF) PMs will "likely" have a real advantage over paper. At least in my thinking, the "insurance" value for these potential situations makes owning a small amount of PMs makes sense. Naturally, it won't make sense to everyone as YMMV.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,689
Koolau,

I had asked about showing where silver was the PM of choice... I have read where gold is a good hedge and there are a number of portfolio choices out there that use it.... some up to 25%.... I have seen none where they suggest holding silver...

So, do not confuse a study of gold to mean all PM... heck, platinum is another PM... but not much talk about it...


I know OP has said he is not doing it for prepper needs... but a number of people keep talking about using it for that... but if things go so bad that the US dollar is not going to be taken as currency then the likelyhood of someone actually taking silver is going to be slim.... IOW, if it were really bad and I had food and water or fuel and you wanted it... my commodity is now worth MUCH more than you little bit of silver... why would I want to trade
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to speculate on up move? Lsbcal Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets 18 10-20-2016 05:20 PM
Gold and silver coins FinallyRetired FIRE and Money 3 04-18-2007 03:53 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.