Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to those revealing their trusted PM sources.

I too was surprised by the big spreads in buy/sell for used US silver coins. Sounds like the TV ads are stirring up enough demand to keep the spreads high. I've always kind of preferred the junk silver vs the silver rounds, etc. No one would question a US silver coin for trade because no one would counterfeit a US coin - too hard to do for no more than it's worth. I've always wondered about silver rounds, though. Seems they would be easy to fake, but I'm no expert. The couple of times I've sold silver rounds, the dealer didn't even question the rounds, even though they were not one of the big companies (like Engelhard or J-M) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Just for fun, I looked-up the spreads on pre-1965 US coins. Kitco appears to be selling for 14% above the price of the contained silver, and buying for 10% below the price of contained silver. If you add-in shipping cost, they're selling for 17% above. Their shipping charge is $30 for a 5 lb package, plus insurance, so that's a money maker for them, I'm sure.

Anyway, as I suspected, those monster spreads are still there. That has always kept me away from doing anything with PM. I only looked at Kitco because I'd done some research there for someone else.
FWIW, with .9999 gold coins, you can buy them for as low as $29 over spot and sell them back at spot to APMEX - around a 2% spread (specifically Canadian Maple Leaf gold coins.) Gold Buffalo coins earn $10 over spot, but they cost at least $10 more. A more typical street markup is $45 per coin, which is still only a 3.5%-ish spread. American Gold Eagles aren't quoted online to sell back, I assume because they are 'only' .9167 pure. From what I understand about the TV gold, they sell numismatic gold at highly inflated prices to people who are not collectors and should be buying bullion at a few dollars over spot for their EOTW fund.

For Silver, one particular APMEX silver coin sells for $18.91-$19.91 based on quantity, and are repurchased for $16.82 which is $.80 over the live spot Bid price! (Specifically 1 oz. Great Britain Silver Britannia) - about 13-15% total spread - not bad considering the current spot price. I think it's a matter of shopping carefully for the right products and watching the price over spot. It varies by product a lot, changes from time to time, and some bullion coins even accrue a small numismatic value as they age.

(FWIW, the prices I'm quoting will change in real time online as the spot changes, so they won't match anything you see now, but the spreads should be similar)
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote