What’s The Best Way To Invest-Speculate In Silver Coins ?

BTW, plastic RX bottles with screw on lids are a cheap way to organize and store the coins. Also keeps pill bottles out of the dumpster.

When my old boss bought coins they came in a nice bottle already... no need to do RX bottles...

Since OP was buying dribs and drabs, he might need them...

I was also one who thought the OP was a bit rude... and did not answer some questions that would add to the discussion...

But I read the thread title and he says 'invest-speculate'.... I think speculate is trying to gain a quick gain on something.... it is what I did with silver a few years ago and did quite well... but, I never bought physical silver...

I think that investing is for the longer haul... and again if you are not buying for chaos then physical silver is still not a good idea... the costs of buying and selling are high... I can buy a silver fund and pay the mgmt fees for decades and still be ahead of someone who bought physical metal...

SO, now we come to chaos... the whole country goes to heck and if you are not a preper then you are in trouble.... but IMO if that happens $10K of silver will not even last a month...

The three scenarios that I listed only one lends itself to physical silver.... so I am still interested in WHY the OP is wanting to have physical silver.... if the answer is 3 then fine... at least we will know your thinking...

I've never had a problem selling bullion, like I said earlier I've sold around 5k oz this past year or so, everything from 1oz Rounds, silver eagles, kilo bars, 10oz bars and 100oz bars, my business was never refused

Pros for 1964/earlier silver US coins:
Easy to id. Hard to counterfeit (is anyone going to give them that worn look?).

Cons: Some are so worn they could be discounted if sold since their weight is less.

In addition to the worn look, silver halves have a distinctly different color/tone than those with none.

I recently bought a 'lot' of 20 halves. 17 1964 Kennedy's & 3 Barbers.
The barbers are extremely worn, so I decided to sell them on eBay.

I was expecting to get $15.00 tops, but the bid is at $21.17 with a full day to go.

Last edited:
It's 37° windy & raining today, so I have nothing but time :)

First off, I want to thank the following members who correctly interpreted what I was asking when I started this thread, & gave thoughtful input.

97guns
Blue Collar Guy
Svensk Anga
coach 96
Al in Ohio
brucethebroker
traineeinvestor
Texas Proud
MichaelB

Paragraph 1 from my original post

I'm ‘not’ looking to amass hundreds of pounds of silver, & I'm not a doomsday prepper. I just want to have a small percentage of my total assets in this metal. I'd like to amass at least 500 ounces.

ATTN Texas Proud

I had a boss who was always talking about silver and gold... and how it would protect him etc. etc....
So my question to you is.... how is $10K of silver going to change your life in any way if everything goes to heck

I have no idea ?
Neither of us do. Mainly because neither one of us has ever lived through a time when everything truly went to heck, like it did in the 30’s.
That is unless, you're like 100 years old :)

Also, buying real gold and silver has a high commission on it... you lose big time in the exchange.... you are looking to buy at $20+ per coin and silver is just around $17 per ounce... that is a HUGE markup

You're right, but I accept that.

If you want silver to be able to spend it then yes you need coins... but, you can buy bars at a cheaper price

Appreciate your suggestion, but I'm going to stick with coins

Me, I bought the silver fund... bought at less than $20 and sold when it went over $40.... bought again when it went down, but sold at a loss... I do not think it is a good investment

I also bought a silver ‘investment’
USV UBS Bloomberg CMCI Silver Total Return ETN
Probably not the best choice. It's a very thinly traded ETF with only a little over 4 million in net assets. But I bought @17.00 & it’s now around 22.00

I'll be totally honest with you. What convinced me to allocate ‘a small portion’ of my portfolio to silver, is something I heard/read some years ago.
Don't remember if it was in a newspaper, magazine, in person, or somewhere on the Internet, but it struck a nerve with me.

It goes something like this. A man was recalling a time back in the 50s, when he went to the gas station with his grandfather.
Gas was $.20 a gallon, & his grandfather had the attendant put in $2.00 worth (10 gallons). When the attendant came to the window to collect the $2.00, the grandfather reached into his pocket & pulled out 2 one dollar bills & paid the man. He then reached into his other pocket, pulled out two silver dollars, handed them to his grandson, & told him to hang onto these, they may be valuable someday.

As of today, the 2 one dollar bills are still worth $2.00 & wouldn't even buy you 1 gallon. The two silver dollars on the other hand, are valued at approximately $26.00
Even if you had to liquidate them very quickly, I'd be willing to bet the absolute least you’d get is $20.00, 10 times more than the paper currency.

ATTN brewer12345

What I am hinting at is: what set of circumstances do you envision under which a pile of silver will be helpful and things will not have descended to the point where someone will not simply take it from you?

My reply is the same as the one I gave to Texas Proud. I have no idea if a pile of silver would be helpful if things really went south ?
As far as someone simply taking it from me, someone may eventually get it, but it certainly wouldn’t be the 1st one who tried :)

I consider it a hedge. I'm 55, have a nice diversified portfolio, big enough to allow me to live comfortably to 100 years old. So if the $10,000 or so I plan on investing in silver turns out to be worthless, (which of course it never will) it will have very little if any effect on my life.

ATTN calmloki

You replied to brewer12345, who had asked…

What I am hinting at is: what set of circumstances do you envision under which a pile of silver will be helpful and things will not have descended to the point where someone will not simply take it from you?

with this

You know - werewolfs. or new career as the lone stranger
Had hopes for this site, but the bullets lack push
Silver Bullets for Sale | Silver Bullet Bullion | APMEX Ammo

We went with a bit of gold back when 1999 was drawing to a close and the world was about to end. Not enough to sustain us for long periods of time, but maybe enough to bribe our way across a border or something. Decided if the world got that bad we were all screwed anyway, so while we haven't sold we didn't add anything (until this Christmas, when I got the gal a bunch of indian head nickles to maybe use as buttons and a gold indian to match.

I thought you were being a bit condescending here, but I may have misinterpreted it ?

If you weren't, I apologize for my reply.

ATTN brewer12345 Part II

I don't personally feel the need to own gold or silver in physical form to protect me from inflation. If that is why you want to do so, come out and say it rather than throwing a tantrum

I don't have to explain to you, or anyone else on this thread, my exact reasons for amassing a small amount of silver. As I stated in the original post, & again at the top of this one, I decided I wanted to purchase a set amount of silver, had started doing so, & was simply asking if I was going about it the right way ?

Maybe you should look at the thread title again.
What’s The Best Way To Invest-Speculate In Silver Coins ?

And if you consider my response to calmloki a tantrum, then we definitely disagree on the definition.

ATTN MichaelB:

If you have decided to acquire the coins and don't care to discuss this in the thread, there's no need to respond to posts that raise that question. Just focus on the posts you find helpful

I have decided to acquire coins, I have already started buying them. I was just asking others about different ways of going about it. All at once with a box of 500, or continue doing it the way I'm doing it now ?

But I realize now, your suggestion to focus on the posts I found helpful, & not reply to those that I didn’t, would have been much wiser.
I’ll remember that in the future.

ATTN W2R:

Basically, my conclusion after reading the thread thus far, is that it appears that most of us are not wildly enthusiastic about your approach to investing

Did you read my original post ?
I clearly stated that it was only going to be a small percentage of my portfolio, that I had already started buying silver 50 Cent pieces on eBay, & I was only asking if it would be better, to instead buy a large box of 500 coins all at once ?

My approach to investing has done very well, thank you.

If you want to dedicate a small percentage of your portfolio to Chinese tea, that's perfectly fine by me :)

I should've made it more clear when I said I'd accept all opinions/suggestions. I wasn't asking for investment advice from yourself or anyone else, I should have stipulated that the only advice I wanted was pertaining to which of the two ways would be better ?

If I ever start a similar thread again, I'll post the following.
I don't want your advice about this particular investment. If you don't believe in it don't post any replies.

Lesson learned.

Once again, thanks to all those who ‘understood’ what I was asking & replied.

Last edited:
No need to be rude. Basically, my conclusion after reading the thread thus far, is that it appears that most of us are not wildly enthusiastic about your approach to investing.

If you have confidence in your plans, go right ahead. There's no reason to get upset if/when others do not break out in enthusiastic applause.

My opinion? I tend to agree with brewer12345 on this one, in that I wouldn't put money in precious metals for all the tea in China. In my case, I'm more of a very broad index fund, buy-and-hold type of gal.

i'll be your Huckleberry, i have zero paper assets.. i hold nothing but real estate, gold, and guns, its been working great for me for the past 8 years, FIRE with my net worth increasing, not to say i never made money on stocks, without stocks i wouldnt have what i have today...
at this writing i have $99.68 in my checking accoiunt but enough gold, silver and bullets to capsize my brothers $50K bass boat

No need to be rude. Basically, my conclusion after reading the thread thus far, is that it appears that most of us are not wildly enthusiastic about your approach to investing.

If you have confidence in your plans, go right ahead. There's no reason to get upset if/when others do not break out in enthusiastic applause.

My opinion? I tend to agree with brewer12345 on this one, in that I wouldn't put money in precious metals for all the tea in China. In my case, I'm more of a very broad index fund, buy-and-hold type of gal.
ATTN W2R:

Did you read my original post ?
I clearly stated that it was only going to be a small percentage of my portfolio, that I had already started buying silver 50 Cent pieces on eBay, & I was only asking if it would be better, to instead buy a large box of 500 coins all at once ?

My approach to investing has done very well, thank you.

If you want to dedicate a small percentage of your portfolio to Chinese tea, that's perfectly fine by me :)

I should've made it more clear when I said I'd accept all opinions/suggestions. I wasn't asking for investment advice from yourself or anyone else, I should have stipulated that the only advice I wanted was pertaining to which of the two ways would be better ?

Neither? :hide:

To some of us, a question like that is almost like asking, "I'm uninsured and own several properties. Should I set my house on fire and watch it burn, or should I blow it up?" I don't like that approach to investing. Sorry if my opinion is not what you were hoping for.

Read "The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System" by James Rickards.

i'll be your Huckleberry, i have zero paper assets.. i hold nothing but real estate, gold, and guns, its been working great for me for the past 8 years, FIRE with my net worth increasing, not to say i never made money on stocks, without stocks i wouldnt have what i have today...
at this writing i have $99.68 in my checking accoiunt but enough gold, silver and bullets to capsize my brothers $50K bass boat

Well, guns not so much lately and perhaps for the next few years.

ATTN calmloki

You replied to brewer12345, who had asked…

with this

I thought you were being a bit condescending here, but I may have misinterpreted it ?

If you weren't, I apologize for my reply.

No condescension intended - it amused me to imagine other possible uses for silver. Sounds like you want silver because you want it, even though you aren't going all in on it and only plan to own a small percentage of your NW in silver. Sounds much like me with the small physical gold holding I mentioned. No good solid defensible reason, but who cares? - you want it you want it.

Hey Ownyourfuture...

Thanks for the answers to the questions... I guess I forgot or just did not see it that you were not a prepper... my bad...

But I will go back to my other post on owning physical metal... it just costs way too much to be a good investment... just like a low cost index fund is better than a high cost fund (index or not), a low cost way of 'holding' silver is better than a high cost way of owning silver...

Look at SLV... expense ration of .5% instead of 3% or more when you buy and sell... (well, I guess that if you plan to hold long term, then maybe that cost to buy and sell can be less).... OH, if you want to short silver you can use ZSL....

BTW, you example of the $2 paper and $2 coins is a bad one... if you invested that hypothetical $2 it would have grown over time... and would be worth MUCH more than the silver coins....

Also, I have seen studies that show gold is a hedge but I have never seen one where they say silver is a hedge. Over the last 5 years gold is down 24% and silver is down 45% so it does not seem like silver is a substitute for gold... as a comparison the DOW is up over 60%....

Now, if you go 10 years gold is the winner at 84%, Dow is 54% but silver is only 22%.... but silver did have the big spike when I had bought some for some strange reason and did very well....

So, you say you want silver and that is fine and dandy.... but for the life of me I cannot understand why....

Hey Ownyourfuture...

BTW, you example of the $2 paper and $2 coins is a bad one... if you invested that hypothetical $2 it would have grown over time... and would be worth MUCH more than the silver coins....

So, you say you want silver and that is fine and dandy.... but for the life of me I cannot understand why....

I understand & agree with the first point. The hypothetical $2 dollars invested in a low-cost mutual fund, would be worth much, much, more than the 2 silver dollars.

But, you have to keep in mind that this is only going to be approximately 5.00% of my portfolio. If it underperforms, I don't care.

It's only a hedge, or dare I say a little bit of a hobby. I enjoyed collecting coins when I was younger.

Hopefully this will help you understand.

Last edited:
Correction

I'm having a bad math weekend.
I've been stating, that a $10,000.00 investment in silver would be about 5% of my portfolio.

In actuality, it would only be about 1.00%

Now everyone knows my net worth :(

One of the issues in the case of a collapse is while others might take gold or silver how do you get change? Silver because it is lower value per ounce is better than gold here, as it would be easier to exchange it for desired goods. (this is assuming a reversion to a barter based society, allthough I would admit a smith and wesson or equivalent would also be necessary, at least until the vigilance committees arise (see san francisco history )

ATTN calmloki

No condescension intended - it amused me to imagine other possible uses for silver. Sounds like you want silver because you want it, even though you aren't going all in on it and only plan to own a small percentage of your NW in silver. Sounds much like me with the small physical gold holding I mentioned. No good solid defensible reason, but who cares? - you want it you want it.

A more than fair reply

Thanks

Personally I like US Silver Eagles. 99.9% pure silver and they are very easy to buy and sell but of course you'll pay a premium (typically $2 to $3 over spot) just because they are minted "Sliver Eagles". You can often find Silver Eagles at coin shows with the lowest premiums if you look around. Also, unless you are a collector (numismatics) you'll probably want to only buy the current years coins (e.g. 2017 mintage) since the older coins typically carry some additional collectors value, depending on the year, up to more than double current melt value for the 1994 minted coins.

Last edited:
Personally I like US Silver Eagles. 99.9% pure silver and they are very easy to buy and sell but of course you'll pay a premium (typically $2 to $3 over spot) just because they are minted "Sliver Eagles". You can often find Silver Eagles at coin shows with the lowest premiums if you look around. Also, unless you are a collector (numismatics) you'll probably want to only buy the current years coins (e.g. 2017 mintage) since the older coins typically carry some additional collectors value, depending on the year, up to more than double current melt value for the 1994 minted coins.

Thanks

Silver down ~2% today & under $17/oz. I only buy the rounds. Not coins.

I've found that SDbullion APMEX has the lowest overhead (premium + shipping). I've bought the "generic" rounds and I've been very happy with what I've received.

One of the issues in the case of a collapse is while others might take gold or silver how do you get change? Silver because it is lower value per ounce is better than gold here, as it would be easier to exchange it for desired goods. (this is assuming a reversion to a barter based society, allthough I would admit a smith and wesson or equivalent would also be necessary, at least until the vigilance committees arise (see san francisco history )

I don't think anyone expects to be buying goods with silver and gold. In the event of a financial collapse precious metals would still be exchanged for currency, but they would get much more for each ounce. If things get so bad that we go back to a gold standard, some current estimates with all the money supply added, are that gold would be priced at between $9,000 to $10,000 per ounce. Will that happen...Who knows? Even a barter system is not out of the question in the case of war.

If you look at the US Debt Clock.org it values gold at $7315 and silver at $885. Not sure why it states this. OP you may want to buy today, silver is down 40 cents right now.

If you look at the US Debt Clock.org it values gold at $7315 and silver at $885. Not sure why it states this. OP you may want to buy today, silver is down 40 cents right now.

I noticed that too. It's been going down for a couple weeks now.
I'm starting to notice it on the price of the coins I'm buying.

Back
Top Bottom