Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rising equity glide path.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

People here that I respect - imoldernyou as a prime example of mental acuity with age and will be missed. Recommendations on this board are given weight; for instance someone mentioned CW Seed as a free streaming channel and we watched several episodes of an old BBC program - The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff and enjoyed it quite a lot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bl..._Shop_of_Stuff

Learned about "place holder" Cds and opened several for $50 with Navy FCU - a lovely way to keep an OK interest rate until it becomes a good rate.

All manner of good info here.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

You can redeem a portion of an I-Bond - you don't have to redeem the whole thing at once (before it matures - once it matures there's no getting out of having to pay taxes on the whole thing).

This can be done for electronic bonds only, but if you want to redeem a portion of a paper bond, convert it to electronic first then you're good to go.

From a thread started by our beloved imoldernyou: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2273258
HtownRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

This:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Time _ money.gif (60.0 KB, 265 views)
retire202052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Wow...story?

I think the best thing has been Firecalc. I mess around almost monthly with scenarios. It always says I have a lot of headroom
I swear I started a thread but can't find it.

A while back someone posted about a combination smoke, CO, and natural gas detctor.

From whatever odd reason my nose cannot detect the stuff in natural gas to make it smell. Thought it was a good idea because we have a gas parlor stove in one side of the open plan and a gas range in the other.

A few months later it goes off in the middle of the night and I bolt out of bed to find the stove on. Apparently I had bumped the knob on the gas range when I got something to drink a few minutes before. If the detctor didn't go off eventually the pilot light in the parlor stove would have!

Big boom avoided!!!!

Thanks again.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #46

Seriously, the best thing I learned was to come here every day and read the experiences of others.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Seriously, the best thing I learned was to come here every day and read the experiences of others.

It is, indeed, habit forming!
Markola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Roth conversion threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
- Roth conversions to the top of the 12% bracket. Never thought of them before
+1

Roth conversions during the ER time and before Social Security.

There is very little talk of this in the standard press.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I was amazed at the overthinking that many participants have on ER and many other decisions.

Who knew that I was such a wild and crazy guy! FIRECalc just another tool. Check!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Besides pretty much every thing everyone mentioned, the people here have strengthened my belief that we have more than enough to have great retirement. No matter how sure I was, confirmation is always comforting. Also, that way too many people with more than enough have way too much trouble spending it. I will avoid that deadly(?) trap....
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #51

I learned I had been misinformed about SS Survivor benefits.
I also learned you can save a lot of money by not bathing and drinking Sterno.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #52

What have I learned? There are actually other people in this country that don't live paycheck to paycheck.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am not alone. I am not a crackpot because I don't have a timeshare, motorhome, boat and well stocked wet bar all paid for with borrowed money. It's OK not to work.

This, especially being ok with not working.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
1. That early retirement is not unusual and that we don’t have to stay on the work hamster wheel for validation.

2. Every post from imoldernu. I miss him.
I do too. He had wonderful stories and his advice was priceless. RIP imoldernu. Hope his bride and family are doing well.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #55

Agree.
Imoldernu's posts were reassuring that this early retirement thing wasn't a huge mistake.

RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
I do too. He had wonderful stories and his advice was priceless. RIP imoldernu. Hope his bride and family are doing well.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
What have you learned here that is life changing or at least darned helpful for your FIRE plans?
Reading and writing here is a good way to keep my mind active.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #57

When I first started coming here in my 20's I was just starting to invest and I was using AG Edwards and it's crazy high fees. I had never heard of Vanguard. Hard to imagine now how little I knew but people here were a big help in the early days
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
When I first started coming here in my 20's I was just starting to invest and I was using AG Edwards and it's crazy high fees. I had never heard of Vanguard. Hard to imagine now how little I knew but people here were a big help in the early days
I just looked back and it appears that LOL! was the one who enlightened me initially way back then. Thank you
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is just a sample of the many things I learned from this forum. I suppose some of these should have been obvious to me, but whatever.
  • Figuring out one's annual expenses is key to determining feasibility of FIRE
  • A WR is not a one-size-fits-all thing
  • FIRE for my wife and me was absolutely possible
  • Reading this forum got me to look at things from different angles (e.g., expenses in terms of % of NW; NW in terms of X times expenses, etc.)
  • Different withdrawal strategies other than the "Trinity Study" method
  • If a 3.5% withdrawal rate provides lots of discretionary spending, that I could easily cut back if necessary; and if I chose to follow a fixed % of NW withdrawal strategy, I might be able to use an even higher WR
  • Investing with dividends as the main focus is not the silver bullet some people make it out to be
  • Based on the past ~53 years of historical data, and a 70/30 AA, one might be able to consider 3% - 3.14% to be a "perpetual WR" (no guarantee, of course)
  • The reasons why a WR of 4% (adjusting for inflation) for a 30 year time horizon may not be as safe now as it was when it was first identified as a SWR
  • Sequence of return risk

There's probably so much more. I feel lucky to have found this site.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Social Security discussions have been one great area of knowledge. It's like an on-going class where you want to answer, but think it wise to hold off because there is always a part of the question you don't entirely grasp.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote