Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Firecalc and other subsequent retirement calculators, which gave me confidence to pull the plug officially.
Social Security threads
Roth conversion threads
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

There was the poster who saved DW and I, our dogs, and home from blowing up one night.

Thank you!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A sense of community. We weren't the only daft people planning to exit the workforce at the height of our earning potential.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
A sense of community. We weren't the only daft people planning to exit the workforce at the height of our earning potential.
Good post.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
That e-r.org is a good place to come for a wide range of information. Whatever the question, there is someone here who knows the answer or will help find it, and many who will commiserate and sympathize.
I also think that's one of the big benefits of membership here. I had already been ER for a number of years before I found this place, so there was no issue of "can I do it?" for me. But the range of expertise and experience to be found here is practically unequalled.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #26

The myriad ways to prepare a hard boiled egg.

Seriously, I was finding all these FA sites that hawk the need to have 25X, or 80-100% of gross working income, annuities, etc. I stumbled on ER about 5 months before retiring. Here, I found hundreds of voices counseling that expenses where the secret sauce. And these were people living it in retirement, not working stiffs selling it.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tell you what, I learn something new here atleast weekly if not daily. Lots of good ideas floating. Home repair encouragement, pet insurance (got it!), leads on bonuses, that its ok to K.I.S.S.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

OMY syndrome can become habit forming. Fortunately I only suffered from it about two years.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned a lot on many topics and in particular on setting an asset allocation the concept of distinguishing my risk capacity, how much I can afford to lose v psychological capacity, having spent a long career building the wealth, how much do I mentally need to keep. These concepts along with learning about a SWAN (sleep well at night) portfolio were of great value to me in crossing over to retirement.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #30

Here are few things I learned here that saved/made me money:

- Roth conversions to the top of the 12% bracket. Never thought of them before

- NFCU CD's. I jumped in later than I should have, never thinking I would qualify for membership.

- the myriad of Medicare discussions that helped me zone in on Plan G

Beyond the above, a bunch of good ideas for smoking meat, and fixing things.

And, most importantly "Funny Joke Thursday". That is how I found this forum. One slow day at work lunch hour, searching for jokes on the internet.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

For several years before joining the forum, I was lurking on this site and the Boglehead site educating myself. From the information I was devouring and running numbers through FireCalc, I realized my wife and I were in excellent shape to retire. I am still self-employed part-time by choice, but the pressure is off. This site is a tremendous resource of knowledge! Thanks to all of you!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
There was the poster who saved DW and I, our dogs, and home from blowing up one night.

Thank you!
Wow...story?

I think the best thing has been Firecalc. I mess around almost monthly with scenarios. It always says I have a lot of headroom
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #33

That bacon really IS a food group.

And I have enough money to afford all the bacon I want for the rest of my mysteriously shortened life.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #34

If not for this ER Forum, it is a certainty that DW & I would not have acquired the knowledge necessary to retire early and to be confident in doing so.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #35

The biggest thing was being convinced I can manage my own funds.

Also a myriad of other bits of advice from exercise, vacation and brewing beer. I also enjoy being helpful, hoping I am supporting someone’s goal.

I really enjoy this forum.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Apart from the general FI/RE mind meld of information, (which is a great asset), upon reflection I have really liked some of the product recommendations gleaned from this forum. Those have made a difference in enjoying life just a little bit more every day and almost all of those recommendations were are items I never knew about prior to joining the forum.
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I learn something every day. Top things are learning more about bonds as I have never been a bond guy. @pb4uski's relentless search for the last basis point in CDs, savings accounts, etc. has showed me a landscape I didn't know much about. Maybe most importantly, someone (Thanks, whoever you are) pointed me towards Richard Thaler and Daniel Kahneman. Better understanding of behavioral finance and economics has been a game-changer for me.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Because I had retired a year before finding this forum, I can't say I learned anything here which helped me retire.

I am glad to read about people in my general demographic (40s-50s, single, childfree) who are either retired or are trying to get there, and I try to give advice and words of encouragement to them in particular.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

It's hard for me to remember what I learned here and what I already knew. Basically this site helped me with the confidence to retire early, that I'd be fine both financially and emotionally. I either learned or was reinforced to be an indexer, keep a stable AA, do Roth conversions, and so on. It's been a sounding board for some ideas, that I know that there are a lot of smart people who are more or less in my situation who could shoot holes in them or back them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #40

1) the existance of 72t withdrawals from IRAs

2) the details of individual health insurance (back in 2006)

3) that so many people were striving for ER