Join Early Retirement Today

What Stocks Should I Avoid in a Roth
Old 08-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
gone traveling

What Stocks Should I Avoid in a Roth

Hi Y'all

I am an unsophisticated guy. But I do understand due to their unique tax advantages, one should put into Roths the stocks you intend to hold for a very very long time as they can grow tax free and have no withdrawal taxes.

But are there any stocks/equities to avoid putting in a Roth? It seems there are some like Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs) tgat should be avoided due to UBTI?

Anything else?
raria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's no need whatsoever to hold a stock inside a Roth for a very long time. Think about it. Anything in a Roth grows tax free, so you can sell a stock there at any time and not worry about whether it is LT or ST because there are no cap gains.

It's your taxable account you want to try to hold stocks for a long time, at least a year, to get long term cap gains. Inside an IRA, whether traditional or Roth, anything that happens within the IRA is not a taxable event. When you withdraw from a tIRA the whole withdrawal is taxed, whether you held the investment for a day or for 10 years.

I don't know much about MLPs so I have no advice there. If something causes a lot of tax complexity without a benefit, that would seem to belong in a Roth.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
There's no need whatsoever to hold a stock inside a Roth for a very long time. Think about it. Anything in a Roth grows tax free, so you can sell a stock there at any time and not worry about whether it is LT or ST because there are no cap gains.

It's your taxable account you want to try to hold stocks for a long time, at least a year, to get long term cap gains. Inside an IRA, whether traditional or Roth, anything that happens within the IRA is not a taxable event. When you withdraw from a tIRA the whole withdrawal is taxed, whether you held the investment for a day or for 10 years.

I don't know much about MLPs so I have no advice there. If something causes a lot of tax complexity without a benefit, that would seem to belong in a Roth.
Unfortunately, tax on UBTI applies to both traditional and Roth IRA accounts:

Unrelated business taxable income (UBTI)

Yes, Your IRA Could Be Taxed, Even a Roth IRA

Can I Own Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs) in My Roth IRA?

"It is usually a good idea to hold individual MLPs in a taxable account versus a retirement account."
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
gone traveling

Thank you @ncbill. That's what I read as well. What other types of securities should I NOT hold in a Roth IRA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Unfortunately, tax on UBTI applies to both traditional and Roth IRA accounts:

Unrelated business taxable income (UBTI)

Yes, Your IRA Could Be Taxed, Even a Roth IRA

Can I Own Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs) in My Roth IRA?

"It is usually a good idea to hold individual MLPs in a taxable account versus a retirement account."
raria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You may want to avoid foreign stock funds in a Roth. There are foreign income taxes that reduce your distributions, and in a Roth you can't get the foreign tax credit. That said, I'm holding VTIAX in my Roth. I didn't like how that fund threw more taxable distributions than the domestic index funds I hold, which increased my MAGI and threatened to put me over the ACA subsidy cliff. Also, any credits over your tax liability are carried over for up to 9 or 10 years, and I just don't have enough taxes to use the credits.

See what the Bogleheads wiki on tax efficient placement says: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-...fund_placement
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #6

Individual ones.

I just have FZROX.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

Avoid all individual stocks in your Roth IRA.
Buy only VGT and QQQ...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #8

Avoid stocks that go down.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Avoid stocks that go down.
"Don’t gamble!

Take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it.

If it don’t go up, don’t buy it."
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote