What time of day are Mutual fund prices updated?

jetpack

Recycles dryer sheets
I know that the prices (and portfolio value) of mutual funds are updated sometime after the close of the market. I thought it was suppose to be within
the hour, but I'm pretty sure it's not. If I'm looking for today performance, what time should I look? I'm sorta amazed that it's not spelled out clearer on the site. Specifically Vanguard.

I don't have any holdings with Vanguard, but here's my experience with the companies I do deal with:

5-5:30 PM: Fidelity
5:45-6:30 PM: American Century, Janus, Schwab (Rollover IRA from previous employer)
7:15-8 PM: Schwab (401k from current employer)
Sometime after midnight: ING

Vanguard updates fund prices at 6PM Eastern Time - even on days like today when the markets close early.

Note: Posting can occasionally be delayed beyond 6PM. When this does happen I've not seen the delay go beyond an hour.

Last edited:
I used to follow Vanguard energy fund daily, and found the NAV would be available through a Google function well after 19:00. Can't say that I've checked my account there to see when the daily NAV turns over.

....snip...
Note: Posting can occasionally be delayed beyond 6PM. When this does happen I've not seen the delay go beyond an hour.

Yes that can happen for any fund. After 9/11 the market was closed till 9/17, folks that were responsible for funds pricing were worried. They had no historical data to judge how long pricing might take. Things turned out fine IIRC, but there was concern.

It depends on where you look for the new prices. I look at finance.yahoo.com
If you enter several tickers into the quote field, you will one ticker per line, time, price, etc.

It appears that updates today for Fidelity funds were around 4:48 pm and updates for Vanguard funds were around 5:13 pm.

It is likely that the Vanguard and Fidelity websites won't be updated until later.

Furthermore both Vanguard and Fidelity don't update some of their pages until the morning of the next business day, so that would be July 7th. That is, some info in your account(s) may be wrong until just before the market opens again. That is, it will be wrong the entire holiday weekend.

I found this on the Vanguard site: " For mutual funds and fixed income holdings, the prices displayed are generally the previous business day's closing price."

My 401k funds at Fidelity update +/- 10:30 usually. It’s very annoying to me they don’t use tome stamps on every price. Sometimes they’ll not a price has not been updated for today but there’s no definition of today. A time stamp would make it clear.

Back
Top Bottom