Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with a big chunk of change
Old 06-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What to do with a big chunk of change

I have a problem that many of you would like to have as well. I just sold my condo that I used to live in, then rented out for a while. I had no mortgage on it, so the entire sale amount was given to me in one big fat check for $93,000. I have a few more days till the bank lifts the hold on my money, but then I'm going to spend it some where. By "spend it" I mean invest it or pay down debt.

I need help on something.

I'll probably end up paying down part of the highest rate debt I have with part of it. I'll probably put what is left into investments, some in 401k, some in taxable accounts, and some in Roth IRAs for wife and me next year. The issue I'm concerned about is whether I should buy into the market in one lump sum as soon as possible with whatever I'm going to put into my taxable account? Or, should I dollar cost average into the market over the next 6 months (or year or two, etc). I don't believe in market timing, so I don't know if the market is going to go up or down over the near future.

What would you do? Invest $50k-75k up front, or put 1/6 of the amount in each month till the end of the year? This amount is a substantial portion of my net worth.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What to do with a big chunk of change
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest the following:
1. Add up all you currently pay in debt (pricipal and interest)
2. Use the 93K to pay off ALL your debt
3. Remainder of 93K into an investment
4. The amount you computed in 1 above continue to pay "To yourself" into your investments
Old 06-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
What would you do? Invest $50k-75k up front, or put 1/6 of the amount in each month till the end of the year? This amount is a substantial portion of my net worth.
1/2 in baseball cards, the other half in lotto tickets!

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #4

I don't claim to be the smartest investor around here--in fact most of my investing decisions are made because I think I'm prone to stupidity--but while DCA makes sense to me if you're investing an income stream I don't see why one would DCA a lump some distribution. Does anyone DCA their periodic rebalancing?

Anyway, if it were me I'd probably stick it all in my chosen mix of assets. (After debts are paid off, of course.) But I'm admitedly a pretty hard-core anti-market-timer--because I think I'm too stupid to time it correctly.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #5

dex,

I should have explained my "debt" situation a lot better. The highest rate on my debt is 3.75% on my ARM mortgage.

Here's what I owe:

mine+wife's student loans: $125k @ ~1% APR. Interest is tax deductible, in the event of death, the principal balance is waived (free life insurance). 30 year term.

credit card: $17k @ 2.99% fixed for life of balance.

mortgage: $131k @ 3.75% fixed till 8/06 when it will go up to 4.75%, then adjust up to 1% every 2 years thereafter (11% max rate I think) Indexed rate is 1 year constant maturity treasury plus 2.5% margin. We have 29 years left on this mortgage.

As you can see, we have significant debts totaling $273k.

The mortgage carries the highest interest rate. It isn't that high though. I'm planning on paying it off early if rates rise much. I'm able to invest a sizeable portion of my income each month already (~20% of gross income, plus a large chunk from the company into ESOP). If the wife gets a job, that will be mostly gravy. We can "spend" her income as we see fit (spend=invest).
Old 06-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the same problem coming up. *Just put my house on the market and expect to realize between $650,000 and $700,000 in net equity.

I'm a 55 year old widower living in the DC area with one son in law school, one son in college, and a girlfriend in NY most (likely temporarily), where I'm commuting weekends and sharing rent. *Expect to ER in 0-4 years, will probably be relocating, and thought this was a good time to sell my large house and rent something smaller.

Anyway, I was thinking of putting all the proceeds in money markets (at a little over 3%) and then averaging into stocks and bonds with about $50,000 per quarter over the next 2 or 3 years (split between bond funds and S&P index funds perhaps). *Probaby want to keep $200,000 or so in cash towards buying a new house or condo in 1-3 years.

Waddya think? * *
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Those are fantastic terms, justin.

I agree with BMJ, no need to DCA, my thinking is if you open a Vanguard account, plunk it all in Wellesly, and use that ~4% dividend to make your debt payments outside the house, you might be happy with the long term results.

Let's see, I'm getting $402 for the monthly on the student loands and around $80 (depending on the payout point) for the CC totalling:

$482 a month

Wellesly would give you about $310 a month on all $93,000 (if you could scrape up another 7k you'd qualify for Admiral shares, lower expenses!).

Now I haven't even begun to address tax implications, nor am I qualified, but that Wellesly will grow in value while throwing off dividends and over the long haul, you could pay off your debt and preserve your capital. Plenty of tax deductions in your world, I like it.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #8

Laurence,

That's the idea. I plan on paying the debts out of my day job's income, and probably sticking with a 80/20 or 90/10 stock/bond portfolio in some sort of index and/or mutual fund. The debt payments on the loans plus credit card are a little higher, but it really isn't that much. The credit card requires a 2% payment of the principal balance each month, so it is $300+/mo right now, but the principal balance goes down quick.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
1/2 in baseball cards, the other half in lotto tickets!
But what do you do with the other half?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #10

jerryo,

I think you have the right idea. DCA is all about not plunging in
just before the market craters. Experts say that "plunging" will
win over DCA about 60% of the time, but the extra return is
is modest and not worth the risk, IMHO. Everybody's situation
is different ..... for example, a young investor with a windfall has
a long time to recover. At age 55 .......... ?

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote