My company is being bought out by a larger company and all of my company stock will be bought out from under me (no choice) in February. The amount after taxes will be a couple hundred thou.
Before I ask it, just put all of those witty thoughts aside...
No, I'm not going to give the money to you.
So what are some ideas of what I should do with the money? Here's a sketch of my situation:
* My wife and I have no kids. I work, my wife doesn't. We're in good health.
* I'd like to retire in about 5 years but could end up working another 10 (I'm about 55).
* This money will represent about 1/5th or 1/6th of my retirement funds.
* Over 50% of my retirement funds are in the stock market, the larger portion in index funds, but a significant portion in individual stocks.
* I consider myself a moderately experienced investor.
* I own 2 condos: 1 completely paid off and currently being rented (in Arizona). We will move into this one (and sell the other one) when I retire. The other condo, the one we're living in (in California), has about 50% equity: the mortgages are fixed rate at about 6%.
* other than the mortgages, we have no debt at all.
I have a few ideas about what to do, but I don't want to prejudice your ideas. So, what are some interesting ideas about what to do with the money?