Join Early Retirement Today

What to invest $100,000 in for a year?
Old 10-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What to invest $100,000 in for a year?

We have $100,000 in the bank and want to invest for some return for 1-2 years. Suggestions of a fund? I've been rec'd DODIX, VWINX and VWIAX. Others? Best?
rileyswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much risk are you willing to take that after a year you may have less than $100,000? Would you be wiling to risk having less than $100,000 a year from now?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
What to invest $100,000 in for a year
Old 10-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

What to invest $100,000 in for a year

Hum, probably not. I just don't like making NOTHING on it sitting in my bank account. That's why a MF was recommended. But I know there are brokerage fees, commissions, and ER to pay, so trying to balance all for best ROR.
rileyswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyswa View Post
Hum, probably not. I just don't like making NOTHING on it sitting in my bank account. That's why a MF was recommended. But I know there are brokerage fees, commissions, and ER to pay, so trying to balance all for best ROR.
Mutual fund NAV can go up or down with the volatility of the stock or bond market. There is no guarantee that you would have more than $100K after a year or two.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I know Citibank is offering 0.70% for their online savings account right now. Unfortunately you won’t get much more out of a 12 month CD- maybe 0.75%-0.80%. Yields are low for the safe haven choices and I’d argue a one year time horizon is too short to invest in stocks or bonds. Good luck, there’s not a lot of good options for short term investing.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What % of your portfolio is that 100K? (Don't answer here, just to yourself.) Is that so much of your portfolio that it could make a significant difference EITHER by letting it sit at piddly interest OR by "risking" it in some other investment. Personally, I keep a big chunk (numerically) in cash so I never have to worry about raiding an "up" or "down" investment. Definitely YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A fund will have principle risk. Perhaps a two year bond?
Old 10-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then I'd forget about DODIX, VWINX and VWIAX... its quite possible to have a loss in a short one-year time horizon with those funds.

If you want no credit or interest rate risk then you're looking at 1-year CDs or online savings accounts... but will be below 1%. If you qualify for membership, Navy Federal is offering 0.85% on a 1-year CD with a $100k deposit. There's no free lunch. Also see https://www.early-retirement.org/for...101376-20.html

If you don't mind taking on a bit of credit risk, Toyota Motor Credit Corp IncomeDriver Notes are offering 2%. Also see https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ms-105827.html

Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #9

My church uses Wesleyan investment foundation For excess cash.
As they are NOT FDIC they appear to keep a large cash balance to meet any withdrawals. Pay 2% on over $35k balances.
DuluthGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

T-Mobile is another way to go: https://www.t-mobilemoney.com/en/home.html
Pays 1% and is FDIC insured.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #11

Agree with pb4uski and others..any mutual fund you invest in outside of a Money Market fund will have principal risk, and the value of your $100K may be more or less (or the same, although that's unlikely) 1-2 years out.

We have the same problem you do - CDs that matured and now nowhere to put the cash - but unless you're willing to accept risk, there are for the most part no good options on where to put the $$s north of 1% at best - and even that's a stretch.

ETA - I looked up VWIAX's worst 1-year return, and it appears that was the 12 months ending 2/3/19. For that period, VWIAX was down 9.79%. DODIX (having no equities) fared better at -0.59%, but there's no guarantee it can't or wouldn't do worse in the future..

The 3 funds you mentioned are great funds and some of my favorites, but will fluctuate in value daily - as will every other fund with either equities or fixed income in it's portfolio..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you will need the full $100,000 in the next year or two, then put it into an Federally insured savings account with a bank like Ally that is paying 0.6% or less. Then Grin and Bear It.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
We have $100,000 in the bank and want to invest for some return for 1-2 years. Suggestions of a fund? I've been rec'd DODIX, VWINX and VWIAX. Others? Best?

In that timeframe to make any money at all, would mean you would have to take significant risk at loosing some of it. If you say 5-10 years, the answer might be mutual funds...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If you will need the full $100,000 in the next year or two, then put it into an Federally insured savings account with a bank like Ally that is paying 0.6% or less. Then Grin and Bear It.
I'm sure it's just the old codger orneriness in me that says if they're only gonna pay me 0.6% while they get to lend it out at 3 1/2% and maybe some of it at way MORE, depending, I'll just put it in my checking account which pays nothing but helps local folks borrow. Yeah, I know, cutting off my own nose, etc. etc. Nice to be in that time of life (and time of "plenty") that I can think that way without much concern for my financial situation. I don't recommend it because YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was on Ally website today and they have a new 15 mon CD at .7%. Not great but a smingin better than their .6% on their saving account.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

^^^ and locked in for a year where it is unclear if online savings rates have bottomed out or not.