What was/is your dream job?

Haven't seen this one yet - management consultant. I have no desire to do something like that, but it always seemed to me to be a dream job, based on 30 years of experience in the corporate world. During that time, we've had some of the "best" in the business come in to tell us how to run the business, and here's what I have concluded the job is:
1) Schmooze the CEO and tell him how great he is, but how badly the company needs your help.
2) Convince the board that your "new" approach will save them millions or billions. Actually, the approach is either common sense, or just the same approach used 10 years ago.
3) Re-use the same program used at hundreds of other companies - but put a new company logo into the Powerpoint slides.
4) Rake in the dough.:LOL:
My apologies to any management consultants for over-simplifying and obviously mis-representing many good ones.:cool:

Haven't seen this one yet - management consultant....
2) Convince the board that your "new" approach will save them millions or billions. Actually, the approach is either common sense, or just the same approach used 10 years ago.

Watching from the outside the phrase i heard a lot was that the new consultants were going to fix things by "turning them around". Every couple years, new consultants would come in to turn things around. So i'm really simple and just didn't understand how the company kept missing going in the right direction as it kept getting turned around and around and aroun...

I am using vacation time, but that will end on Wednesday and I will actually work for the last week and a half. Well, sort of! Mostly I will be doing my exit clearance, having my farewell party, and killing time.

As others, I am curiously awaiting to see your new screen name. Congrats on your retirement.

As others, I am curiously awaiting to see your new screen name. Congrats on your retirement.

Thank you! It is a secret but I think the Admins know because we all discussed it "behind the scenes" a few months ago. I will ask them to change it on November 9th (my ER day). Then I will post, so that everyone knows. :D

Dream job comment

Enjoyed reading responses to this thread. For me a dream job is "early retirement" or "semi early retirement" where what I choose to do with my time is less driven by how much it pays, and more for what I get out of it. So for me -- today -- but who knows for tomorrow -- it would be engaged in activities focused around building or inventing something unique. Tomorrow it might be opening a small brew pub where I can take my home brewing hobby to the next level. The next day it might be trying to invent something more practical and cost effective in generating electricity for the home. I do agree with one thread response, that I do have a fear that if I make a avocation into a vocation, there is the risk of making it just another job. Seperately, there was a comment made about how we tend to envy people who have found their passion. I struggle with this. While I would love to find an all encompassing passion, I sometimes wonder if the "search" might be more fulfilling than the "destination".

My dream job would be on the Discovery Channel, replacing Matt Rogers on "Really Big Things"...........:)

Thank you! It is a secret but I think the Admins know because we all discussed it "behind the scenes" a few months ago. I will ask them to change it on November 9th (my ER day). Then I will post, so that everyone knows. :D

How about "Neverworkagain":confused:

Only 13 days left for you! I don't know how you can contain yourself. I would be s-o-o-o slap happy no one could stand me!

Believe me, I am feeling pretty excited about this! Now that my daughter's wedding is over, "ER-Day" is the next thing on my radar. I have used up all the vacation time that I plan to use, so I will be going to work in the morning.

I am thinking of "dressing down" a bit tomorrow - - wearing clothes that are technically ok for the office, but maybe some unusually wild colors for my normally reserved workplace persona. It's "Employee Appreciation Day", after all, with a picnic in the afternoon. What are they going to do? give me a bad evaluation? :LOL::ROFLMAO: Ah, if you only knew how atypical this is for a goodie-twoshoes conservative dresser like me. :D

Last edited:
My dream job would be on the Discovery Channel, replacing Matt Rogers on "Really Big Things"...........:)
Mine is to join the MythBusters on the Discovery Channel. What a great gig for an ex-scientist - takes me back to my childhood, when the best experiments always ended in a bang!

Back
Top Bottom