What will the FED Do Next?

I'm thinking a .25 raise and language that says "we're pausing" in clear terms. Market rallies because, "It's over" and Bernake gets to trade in his dove wings for hawk's.

.25 raise...historically the fed has never stopped raising rates with un-emloyment so low,,corporate profits so high and the markets holding up fairly well so far

mathjak107 said:
.25 raise...historically the fed has never stopped raising rates with un-emloyment so low,,corporate profits so high and the markets holding up fairly well so far

Not to mention core inflation at an 11 year high, crude at $76 and gold at $650.

If the Fed pauses they will lose all credibility.   :D

Hence, I say again - they painted themselves into a box.   ::)

This .25 drip drip thing was a bad idea.

mathjak107 said:
historically the fed has never stopped raising rates with un-emloyment so low,,corporate profits so high and the markets holding up fairly well so far

On the other hand, GDP growth was 2.5%. Historically, the fed has never continued to tighten with 2 consecutive quarters of GDP growth < 3%.

The economy has slowed considerably. Housing has cooled glacially. The fed fears that if they raise again, they'll be setting us up for a hard landing.

I thought they always overcorrected! We will see. I admit my prediction may be tainted by personal desire (my mortgage is fixed, my emigrantdirect account keeps going up and up and up...)

Well frankly Id like to see them back down to 1 percent :p Booming equities makes more money than 6% money markets.

USD index went under 85 today that means crude price goes up and that means our trade deficit goes up.

Fed should go .50%.

IMHO. :)

IHateCNBC said:
USD index went under 85 today that means crude price goes up and that means our trade deficit goes up. 

Fed should go .50%. 

IMHO.   :) 

Hindsight being 20/20 last bump should have been .5 %

Mwsinron said:
Hindsight being 20/20 last bump should have been .5 %

Yeah the .25 and 38 fed is done rallies did not work for me either.

What a joke. :LOL:

Good thing the fed is transparent to the markets. ::) Just like their charter says. :LOL:

IHateCNBC said:

Fed should go .50%. 

IMHO.   :) 

I don't imagine the Fed is terribly eager to see China float the yuan. Talk about a recipe for US inflation!

The 1/4 point at a time game is not without its problems, but this is really a case of "pick your poison". I definately did not want to go through a replay of 1994. Just about killed the bond market and blew up a number of financial institutions that got caught with their pants down in the carry trade.

brewer12345 said:
I don't imagine the Fed is terribly eager to see China float the yuan.  Talk about a recipe for US inflation!

The 1/4 point at a time game is not without its problems, but this is really a case of "pick your poison".  I definately did not want to go through a replay of 1994.  Just about killed the bond market and blew up a number of financial institutions that got caught with their pants down in the carry trade.

We may have a replay of 1987.   :-[

Yield curve is horrible a massive 10 year and 30 year treasury auction next week that will not go well.

Heck my money market yields more then a 30 year treasury right now.

Not the sign of a health economy.   :-\

Don't forget that there is a lot of tightening that hasn't made an impact yet. It takes 6 to 18 months for the full effect of a rate increase to be felt...

brewer12345 said:
Don't forget that there is a lot of tightening that hasn't made an impact yet.  It takes 6 to 18 months for the full effect of a rate increase to be felt...

Money poured into the municiple bond funds today. Normally the sign right before a big down turn in stocks.

20 year AAA dropped 20 basis points in yield. Wow. :eek:

2 year AAA dropped 10 basis points. :-X

We shall see.

Australia raised rates two days ago and ECB raises last night. :-\

Meaning. Fed needs to raise rates to be competitive to help the Treasury sell debt products.

Low job numbers today might mean a pause. Of course personal income was up a bit. Maybe they will crank another .25 to let everyone know whos boss :D

The fed funds future market is probably the best predictor of what the fed will do. Right now, pause is ahead by a nose.

You can watch the action here:

fed funds predictor

How do we read those graphs?

High probability that the Fed will pause in Aug, but raise 0.25 point in September?

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
How do we read those graphs?

They have different betting lines for the next rate: 5%, 5.25%, 5.5%, and 5.75%.

The market says about a 60% chance of it staying at 5.25% at the next meeting, and probabilties are about equal for 5.25% vs 5.5% in Sept.

Back
Top Bottom