Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What will the next bubble be?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What will the next bubble be?

During the past twelve years, we've experienced both the "dot-com bubble" and the "housing bubble." Speculators continue to lose enormous amounts of money. The subprime crisis is now negatively effecting economies around the world. We never seem to learn from past mistakes which are always motivated by greed. The only thing we can really count on is that history will repeat itself. Does anyone have any predictions on what the next economic bubble will be?
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Does anyone have any predictions on what the next economic bubble will be?
Commodities, followed by Pokémon cards...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its about time for energy to be the bubble. Been long enough since the last episode of hard time for that industry for everyone to forget, and there is plenty of fast and dangerousy stupid money that has since jumped into the pool.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Gold.

Everybody and their mother will want the "safety" that gold offers. With the volatility in stocks and the real estate bubble bursting, I see tons of people investing in gold. It'll get pushed up to around $1200/oz. and then the bottom will fall out of that as well because as Retire Soon so elequently put it "We never seem to learn from past mistakes which are always motivated by greed."
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

International is the next bubble which will burst. The government is controlling the dollar, and once they reverse their control, that bubble will crumble.

Energy sounds like a good one to me. People seam to be putting lots of money in natural resources types funds and appears to be where everyone wants to go.

So right now I would be buying
a) financials
b) consumer durables
c) Tech

and holding/selling international and energy
Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
International is the next bubble which will burst. The government is controlling the dollar, and once they reverse their control, that bubble will crumble.

Energy sounds like a good one to me. People seam to be putting lots of money in natural resources types funds and appears to be where everyone wants to go.

So right now I would be buying
a) financials
b) consumer durables
c) Tech

and holding/selling international and energy
I'll buy what you are saying! One of the reasons I bailed out of equities recently was that the housing news seemed to so affect the international markets. BTY, I did very well in an international fund.

I'm thinking that any mass movements by baby boomers could affect the markets. People are being advised to retire to less expensive areas and rent before buying. How about a bubble in retirement apartment complex building?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Its about time for energy to be the bubble. Been long enough since the last episode of hard time for that industry for everyone to forget, and there is plenty of fast and dangerousy stupid money that has since jumped into the pool.
I assume that you are saying that energy is currently a bubble, but it will soon burst? Is that correct?

Ha
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
The government is controlling the dollar, and once they reverse their control, that bubble will crumble.
The government of which country?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Re: The dollar - Don't forget the mints in Denver, San Fran, Philly, Tehran, and Pyongyang...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I assume that you are saying that energy is currently a bubble, but it will soon burst? Is that correct?

Ha
Actually, I don't think energy is at bubble proportions. I see the same cost to find and lifting cost trends as everyone else: nothing but upwards. That means that the floor level at which producers have to be paid continues to drift upwards at a healthy rate, and I see no signs of that stopping any time soon. But every drilling rig in existence seems to be pressed into service and this industry has a long history of boom and bust cycles, so eventually it will spawn a new bubble. The capital maret are already force-feeding money into the sector, so the potential is there.

I think you are safe for now, Ha, but pay attention. If you start seeing producers refuse to shut in production when prices slip, be on your guard.

- George Orwell

Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Does anyone have any predictions on what the next economic bubble will be?
China, and probably emerging markets in general, are already in bubble territory.

Shipping stocks will probably be the next bubble.

To find a bubble, look for good initial fundamentals followed by a flock of speculators rushing in.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Not yet, though. Valuations are still pretty low vs. charter rates and asset prices. But eventually they will overbuild like they always do.

In the meantime, the bulker stocks are very attractively priced.

- George Orwell

Old 09-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
China, and probably emerging markets in general, are already in bubble territory.

To find a bubble, look for good initial fundamentals followed by a flock of speculators rushing in.
I predict the following:

Ethanol Bubble
Biodiesel Bubble
Coal Tar Bubble
Lithium Bubble (hybrid car batteries)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
Gold.
+1 and add silver and maybe palladium. The usual summer bashing is taking place along with the PM sell offs for all of the big players to cover their rear ends due to the dollar losses.

Silver:
If the accused naked short selling of silver is investigated and corrected then silver will have a nice day indeed.

Palladium:
If some of the industries that currently use platinum decide to switch to palladium then it could be interesting. It might be just long enough from Ford getting burned that corporations will see that retooling and using palladium for significantly less might be the ticket.
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I predict the following:

Coal Tar Bubble

This would indeed be an unexpected one! Coar tar is a carcinogen, an ingrediant in some old but still curently used medicines, and a product of 19th century chemical industrial processing of coal.

Wow, what a bubble that would be!

Ha
Old 09-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This would indeed be an unexpected one! Coar tar is a carcinogen, an ingrediant in some old but still curently used medicines, and a product of 19th century chemical industrial processing of coal.

Wow, what a bubble that would be!

Ha
Didn't Brer Rabbit get in trouble with coal tar??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I figured that was tar from petroleum, but don't know that it was specified.

Ha
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

+1 for China

But let's not underestimate the effect on the USD, given the amount of their currency reserves....

(BTW first post! Been a reader for a while though...)
Walter-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #19

Yeah, I'll vote +1 on China. Everything else others have posted - maybe. China is the only thing I see as a definite, obvious bubble today.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
China is the only thing I see as a definite, obvious bubble today.
When is a bubble obvious? One can make an argument that valuations are fair because of high growth. What makes it bubblicious to me is the assumption that high growth will continue. Investors (including professional analysts) almost always overestimate future growth by looking at past growth.

Personally, I like bubbles. As long as I get in early enough and out before it's too late. I think China gets one more year. Maybe.