Join Early Retirement Today

What will you do with your primary residence?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Eventually we will all choose or be forced by circumstance to vacate our primary residence. How are you planning for this? Our will states that upon survivor's demise the house is to be sold and the proceeds go to a named charity (not sure if you can leave property to a charity). I have been re-visiting this strategy. At the time we had our wills drawn we were sure we wouldn't still have the house anyway, it was a contingency in case our exit occured at the same time. Now we may be leaning towards spending our final days in the house. I have two grown children, but both live out of state and wouldn't want to live here, and I wouldn't want to burden them with the disposition of a distant residence. A friend inherited an out-of-state home from his mom (he was Executor). He decided the best prospect was to tear down the house, clear the property, and sell the lot. After many trips and a lot of time, he barely broke even. Also wondering if a Reverse Mortgage might be a good option for disposal of a no longer needed residence? Just wondering if others have thought about or planned what they will do with theirs?

Sorry for a meandering post and sobering subject
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

At this point the intention is to sell it and use the equity for the entrance fee for a CCRC. That gets our monthly housing costs down to about what they are now for a paid-off house.

Leaving an inheritance is not a concern for us. Nice if we can, but not a major priority.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sold mine within a week of RE. Now I'm "homeless and jobless". Couldn't think of a better situation to be in!

A little more seriously, I will build a vacation cabin (small home) in the mountains where I will live until its time to come down to the city. The mountain place will remain for the use of my children.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Eventually we will all choose or be forced by circumstance to vacate our primary residence. How are you planning for this? Our will states that upon survivor's demise the house is to be sold and the proceeds go to a named charity (not sure if you can leave property to a charity). I have been re-visiting this strategy. At the time we had our wills drawn we were sure we wouldn't still have the house anyway, it was a contingency in case our exit occured at the same time. Now we may be leaning towards spending our final days in the house. I have two grown children, but both live out of state and wouldn't want to live here, and I wouldn't want to burden them with the disposition of a distant residence. A friend inherited an out-of-state home from his mom (he was Executor). He decided the best prospect was to tear down the house, clear the property, and sell the lot. After many trips and a lot of time, he barely broke even. Also wondering if a Reverse Mortgage might be a good option for disposal of a no longer needed residence? Just wondering if others have thought about or planned what they will do with theirs?

Sorry for a meandering post and sobering subject
I will leave my home(s) to my 2 children. After My wife and I are gone the kids can do whatever they like with them!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Too early to tell for us but I suspect we'll have our home (or more likely another smaller one after we retire) for as long as possible. It will be a backup plan for reverse mortgage or sale to buy our way into a long-term care facility.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #6

I bought a condo in a major city downtown, close to many shops and all amenities. At this stage I have no intention of moving out of here. My next door neighbor is 92 and doing very well alone. If my neighbor can do it, I can do it too.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Too early to think about for me...52 and rehired. But I think we'll move eventually into some sort of assisted living facility if necessitated by health issues. I think the smart route is to have a "decision tree" of sorts that says if A happens we'll do #1, if B happens we'll do #2, etc.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

Haven't really thought much about it. Would like to stay in a house as long as can, assume as years go by will start paying others to do my outdoor chores. At some point will sell and move condo or other more compact residence. Assume I will predecease DW who would in all likelihood make that transition then. Frankly, in some ways neighbors are too close as it is already! GET OFF MY LAWN!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #9

A little early to think for us, but we will sell when needed. From the offspring's end, here's what worked for us: My dad decided to move across the country when his health deteriorated to the point he needed help, to be near me and my family. My sister and I took time off, travelled 1000 and 3000 miles to help pack up our childhood home and I flew back with my dad. My dad stayed with us while his condo was being built in a retirement community. He paid cash for the condo. 5 years later he needed to move to assisted living, and I sold the condo just before the housing crash. The proceeds stayed in the bank--paid for the assisted living and also for the PA inheritance tax when he passed. DH and I intend to do something similar. It really depends on where our only child ends up and what his work and financial situation is. In the meantime we'll enjoy what we have and do some travelling. Should be fun. FIRE target date: early 2015.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

I plan on being a snowbird for a few years, so I will keep mine. I have plans to sub-divide and sell lots at some point in the next few years too.

I may keep mine house as a rental, I have 24 renters now, so it will not be too much additional work.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At this point the intention is to sell it and use the equity for the entrance fee for a CCRC. That gets our monthly housing costs down to about what they are now for a paid-off house.
Ditto
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

We still live in the house we raised our 2 kids in. It's expensive and way too big for our needs. We could downsize and cut our expenses in half, plus add a few hundred K to the nestegg. But we don't really need the money right now, and we love the location (on a lake and near family). It's our dream home and filled with memories. So for now, we've decided to stay as long as we can physically manage the upkeep ourselves, or until we need the money for something else.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will sell and we will get the hell out of the cold weather forever!!!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #14

Sell it. Beats burning it down or abandoning it. What the heck are your other choices?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We are preparing to downsize to a lock and go condo or townhouse in the next year or two so we can be free to travel. We don't have any plans beyond that.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #16

Moved out of our house with lots of land to take care of 9 months ago. (Unfortunately the house is still on the market.) Bought a townhouse condo in an "over-55" community closer to our kids where all the exterior work is taken care of for us (at a price, to be sure.) Plan is to stay here indefinitely. If health concerns eventually mitigate against that, we can sell this place and move to whatever is more appropriate at the time.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #17

House is paid for so we use it as a home base. When our son (if) settles down in one spot, we'll probably sell and get a condo/retirement condo near him. Considering family health concerns, I'll make to an active mid 70s and go quickly from a genetic heart problem, but DW can potentially live to three digits, and Alzheimer's is in her family history. So long term care for her. Near our son. Wherever that may be. But that's down the road and subject to change...
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When surviving parent died in a far away place, I went and arranged the sale of both the house and cottage. The cottage was sold privately by a bidding war between the 2 neighbours. The house was put out for bids by the listing realtor. Three bids were received and the place was purchased in a week from listing.

Granted this was an unusual set of circumstances. But how can you predict what the circumstances will be in the future? Live your life for you in the present and let the chips fall...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Someone I knew (not a relative) left his house and all contents to a grown grandchild who lived in the area but didn't have a house.

I thought that was a nice way to handle it. No need for the grandchild to buy furniture, tools, air conditioner filters, dishwasher detergent, a hose or shovel or rake, or even bandaids. Everything he could possibly need was already in the house. He just moved in and immediately he was all set. He did have to donate some of the clothing since it didn't fit, but that was easy enough to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sold the home we raised our kids in a couple years ago and made our former vacation home (which we had demolished and rebuilt) our principal residence.

When we rebuilt we built with aging in place in mind (doorways are wheelchair friendly, one floor living with some simple future modifications, etc). we'll probably live here until we can't and then sell if we need to or if not, leave it to our two kids to enjoy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote