Re: What You Can Learn From 1,000 Millionaires
Old 12-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Hey, watch your mouth!*
Sorry, Sweetie Pie.

Hope you have a great holiday season, and will forgive my insensitive remark.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #42

Quote:
She puts cup holders into the Camries that are built there. She makes $70,000 per year plus good benefits.
Toyota pays better than GM? The average wage for a GM auto worker is $27 per hour or ($56,160/year) based on the following excerpt:
After Delphi filed for bankruptcy, its chairman and CEO, Robert "Steve" Miller, said that the company needs to get rid of a "substantial" number of its North American operations and reduce its 51,000-member workforce. He wants the UAW to agree to concessions that would reduce members' average wage-and-benefit packages from about $65 an hour to about $20 or $25 an hour. Of that total compensation package, the hourly wage alone would drop from $27 to $10 if Miller has his way.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/1301.cfm
Old 12-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Toyota pays better than GM? The average wage for a GM auto worker is $27 per hour or ($56,160/year)...
The NPR story says:

"Renee Brown works assembling the Camry -- the nation's best-selling car. She puts in seat belts and cup holders at Toyota's plant in Kentucky horse country.

... Brown makes $70,000 a year -- more than twice the average manufacturing wage in the area.

...Brown says that Toyota's wages are so close to the union's, she doesn't see the advantage."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5062797

Maybe the difference is overtime and/or shift differential for working nights, etc.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Ha: *You ungrateful old fart you.

I've spent some time in your area, (Puget Sound) and it is hard to beat.

You've probably spent as much time as I have in the retired area. *(Almost 20 years for me.) As near as I can figure, at least that amount of time for you.

Neither one of us has had to worry about reporting to work and taking care of "stuffing paper cups". *

Seriously, do you really give a rats ass about what anybody else is making, as long as you are living your life the way you want to? *(I think not).

Your point is understandable, but in the final analysis, so what?

In any case, have a great Holiday Season. *
(Get out there and Salsa your butt off).
Hey Jarhead, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! * I agree 100% with everything you said. I just didn't want anyone to think I was claiming *$3M in invested assets.

I have worked less than anyone I know personally, and so far at least God has not risen up to smite me for my sloth. It's hard for me to say exactly when I quit, because I was freelancing, but it has been over 20 years now, as you said. Congratulations on your own long retirement!

Ha
Old 12-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Hey Jarhead, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! * I agree 100% with everything you said. I just didn't want anyone to think I was claiming *$3M in invested assets.

I have worked less than anyone I know personally, and so far at least God has not risen up to smite me for my sloth. It's hard for me to say exactly when I quit, because I was freelancing, but it has been over 20 years now, as you said. Congratulations on your own long retirement!

Ha
Lawdy, 20 years! I am way behind, but getting there as fast as I can. Congratulations to you and to Jarhead, who's been teeing off for about the same length of time.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:48 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Insurance wise, we carry high limit, very high deductible policies for home and cars and an umbrella.* I think i'm at 10,000 ded for the house and 2500 on the cars.* We'll drop the collision and comprehensive on the cars next year as they pass the magic 5 year mark.* Hell, a few times when I couldnt find my Expedition in the mall parking lot I started praying it had been stolen...

The fatter deductibles really knocks down the price tags.
Just currious, but do u carry high deductible health insurance also? If so, for tax purposes, can you deduct everything over 7.5% of AGI? Seems like this could be a good strategy for offsetting some health insurance costs.

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a fairly inexpensive HMO while I was single, now we're on the wifes crappy blue cross plan from work. I'm amused that the hospital puts lousy coverage on their employees, but it is free.

We have a 1500 ded, pay 20% after that to a yearly max of another 1500 or so.

Handy to have this year with the baby showing up last january, but pretty much all out of pocket from here on.

When I was on the HMO and severely restricted my 'ordinary income', I was able to deduct a huge amount of my annual costs for the plan.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:27 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though Toyota pays close to union wages the fact is they do not need the unions ok when changes are needed. Without a union management is in complete control. runnerrBlack][/color]
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

The way I am reading this board most poster must have much more money than I. I feel pretty comfortable retiring at 56 on a million enough so that I am building a new house and with the money I get from the sale of my existing home I will carry a mortgage of about 175,000. I was scared at first but I figure that I do have enough to pay it off it needed. I am also considering that SS will kick in at 62. I know there is no guarantee. Anyway as I get older the equity in the new home will increase. I look at it as a way to enjoy your money while you are still young and all it really is doing is moving my savings from one security to another. Actually I look to pay down the mortgage to 140,000 soon after the house is completed. I don’t worry anymore and try to enjoy myself. Then again it doesn’t take much at 30,000 a year I will do fine. My mine interest is running marathons, biking, swimming and doing triathlons. So I consider my self in the best of shape. So lay it on me am I nuts or what.

Runnerr
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:38 AM   #50

Hi Runnerr -- I don't think that you're crazy at all. If you are happy at $30K, you've got it made in the shade. Keep up the fitness activities -- probably more important to a happy retirement than a lot of extra money! I think that a much of the discussion in this thread was sort of philosophical -- what constitutes "rich?" -- rather than "advice" for anyone in particular.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerr
The way I am reading this board most poster must have much more money than I.

Runnerr
According to a recent poll by Dan Tien, you are doing fine.
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i....0;viewResults
Old 12-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Runnerr;
I congratulate you.
You are living life on your own terms. To me thats
what's it all about. I have seen people chasing the
money at the expense of their family, health, friends,
and in the end( if they dont die before) a good %
conclude it wasnt worth it.
A person chasing $ is like a dog chasing his/her tail.
They eventually stop, worn out and frustrated,
wondering why they cant catch it.( People with hyper
dogs know exactly what I mean.) You love them
anyways..
CZAR 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Back when I was self employed, I carried $2500 deductible + $1000 co-pay health insurance. I didn't have $2500 then, but if I was injured it would limit what I owed.

Its also a big incentive to sit and drink hot chocolate at the ski resort as you watch the patrol drag the injured down the hill. Most relaxing trip I've had in years.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote