Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired July of 2013 at 63.

Investments (all are tax deferred): 36%
Pension: 47%
SS on the late DW's account: 17%
Income taxes consume about 18% of income.

When I hit 70 DW's SS and Investment withdrawals will be replaced about dollar for dollar with my SS. As long as cost of living stays tame, the Pension will work great. If not, I will tap the investment accounts and pay lots of taxes.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retiring in October:

Pension: 54%
SS at age 62: 23%
401K: 23%
Roth IRA: ?

But I may delay SS while the market is good and take more funds from my 401K. I need to run calculations to see what approach is most tax effective and results in greatest income and whether Roth conversions are worthwhile. Being single, 25% or 28% tax bracket, and not in a category that would favor delaying SS means there are no clear cut answers.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Just retired January 1 at 57 and our income comes from:

1. Non-Real Estate Investments (Individual Stock Dividends, Individual Muni Bond interest and CD interest). I do not own any mutual funds and do my own investing in individual stocks and bonds.
2. Various Real Estate Investments, and
3. Income stream from sale of business

The above funds more than our annual expenses. I do collect a relatively small pension in three years and social security but neither ever played a role in our decision.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #44

DH retired Feb. 2015 at 57 / Me retired March 2010 at 50

1/5 of budged from non-cola pension
The rest is from after tax accounts.
SS at 62 for DH
SS for me at 70

We will start taking funds from our IRA's this summer up to the limit of the 15% tax bracket. (Taxes will be paid from our after tax accounts) Will roll over these funds into a Roth IRA and let them grow until and if needed.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife retired at 50 and me at 65, but both have pensions and I have started SS and wife to start next March. We are not planning on touching our retirement money accounts until RMD's are required. But heck, I may just decide to buy my Triumph TR3 if the markets help and cooperate and will have to draw out enough to buy myself a toy.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #46

We retired at 58/57 (in 8th year now).

Used taxable account dividends and a special set aside cash account until Social Security at 62 for living expenses. Use SS (both of us) and taxable account dividends for current living expenses. We both have IRAs (start at 70.5) and Roth accounts. No pensions or annuities.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #47

My good looks

Taxable accounts will see me through for awhile, IRA and SS down the road.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right now;

SS - 25%
Me - 75%
Old 05-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #49

I retired 4 years ago at 52; DW at 56 last year. At the moment, expenses are covered by his-and-her pensions, dividends from taxable account, and a small amount of rental income. After 4 years, I haven't actually sold any shares, but we have worked the cash balance down from 5% to 1%. At 59.5 we'll have access to tax-deferred and SS at 62. If the market cooperates, we'll defer both to 70 and prioritize Roth conversions. We both have employer-subsidized retiree health insurance and a growing HSA.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #50

I've been retired 4 years and 4 months. The first year, I had income in the form of my retention incentive (I had been enticed to stay an extra 4 years with this incentive), but for living expenses, we lived essentially off the dividends and interest from our taxable acct. We are still doing that. In 2 years and 8 months, my deferred income starts to pay out, over a 10 year period. All of that will essentially go into the taxable acct, and will begin to generate more dividends and interest. At that point, we may start spending a little more. No pension. Tiny 401k for a variety of reasons, still untapped.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

My retirement is solely funded by my pension. I just treat it like a work check without working. I have investment money but something will have to go terribly wrong for me to ever spend any of it. The longer I live, the richer my daughter will become.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Retired at 58 one year ago.
We live of off saving account. No investments have been touched and if we take SS in a few years we will never have to touch those investments.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 57 (DH was 51) 3 years ago. No pensions sadly (I have pension envy!) Have taxable and IRA accounts. Have one rental that provides a small profit.

Assets invested very conservatively. Drawing down assets, but interest/dividends and rental income covers well over half. Then hopefully sell rental when social security comes online - between 66 and 70.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #54

Dividends and rental income covers the bills. No pensions etc.

DW's income is not necessary (but nice to have).

No drawdown of capital planned for any stage of our retirement.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:53 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

The SIRE vs FIRE question, I'm always surprised by how many of the former there are here. We don't have pensions or other annuities. Drawing for taxable only now, dividends/STCG mostly. TIRA's and SS later.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:28 AM   #56

Retire in July 55/54.

Phase 1 55-62
36% Pensions (Non Cola)
38% Deferred comp distribution for next 5 years (than taxable account)
15% Dividends
11% Cash

Phase II 62-70

have to figure it out but Pension/Taxable than at 70+ SS, RMD

Interesting that when I run I-ORP it recommends taking money from 401k/IRA and converting to Roth up to the taxable limit that I set which has to be above 15% tax rate in order for it to calculate it.
capjak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #57

I had savings in a taxable account plus sold my condo. I used the money to buy three different bond funds and the rest in stocks. I also have a 401k that can be accessed at 59.5, and a pension at age 58, and SS later. So in about 10 to 11 years and later my back up money comes into play. I should be fine.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Started retirement 3 years ago at 58 years old. Plan is:
58-63 Cash on hand, proceeds from real estate sales
63-65 Taxable
65-70 Taxable, IRA
70- Taxable, IRA, SS
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
Retired at 57 (DH was 51) 3 years ago. No pensions sadly (I have pension envy!) Have taxable and IRA accounts. Have one rental that provides a small profit...
When I first got into defense contractor work, I had several sub contract employees working for me. They were making a lot more than I did. (I had cash envy!) I continued working for major defense contractors. They were happy with their laid-back lifestyle and didn't have money worries. I, on the other hand, moved from San Diego back to Denver with money issues being a major reason for the move. Now I am retired and have a great pension. I think they most likely continued to be happy in their situation too. Different strokes...
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Pension, SS, 401k, IRA or other investment? Are you drawing down on your assets or does your asset generate your retirement income?
All of the above will ultimately fund my retirement. At this point however only a non cola'd pension,deferred comp and an occasional consulting gig are handling the chore quite nicely! Deferred comp ends a few years from now. Another pension (small), SS, 401k and IRA await. Haven't touched any of the $$$ sitting in the taxable accounts. It just sits and grows.