Join Early Retirement Today

What's funding your retirement?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
gone traveling

What's funding your retirement?

Pension, SS, 401k, IRA or other investment? Are you drawing down on your assets or does your asset generate your retirement income?

Curious because if you've retired "early" then some of these retirement vehicles may not be accessible
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired at 56. Just a generous pension that started at 62 and my taxable portfolio. Had significant employee incentive comp (options and DSU's) that were cashed out in the first 5 years of retirement.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

Retiring in July. 57/56. Taxable accounts/IRAs/401ks. Not counting on it, but social under present law would kick in with a substantial amount for each of us at 70.

We will be doing total return investing/withdrawals.

E.T.A.--the ongoing poll thread covers this pretty thoroughly: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1876057
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

401k, taxable accounts, Roth IRA, and VA Disability compensation are what I'm planning on funding my retirement with in ~7 years (plus or minus depending on investments between now and then). SS in my 60's will supplement those as well.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Like the OP - 6 rentals. Unlike the OP - notes payable. Roughly split down the middle with respect the two providing income. No gold. No guns. Well, OK, a couple of guns, but they're used for hunting.
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We are both 56 and retired. We are living on pensions, which cover 50% of our expenses and drawing from our taxable savings. When SS starts in 2022, all of our expenses will be covered at 100%.
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 55. Currently living on pension income. Fairly significant taxable portfolio available to fund additional discretionary, if/when appropriate. SS and IRA's for additional resources later. Investment income being reinvested for now.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Retiring in May & October. Small pension, less than 10% of total spending. The other 90% until SS will be from tax deferred accounts and after tax. Tax-free Roths held in reserve. I anticipate a ~5% withdrawal rate until SS starts. If we have a big downturn and our 8% cash reserves get depleted we'll start SS as early as 62 to keep withdrawals reasonable.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

deferred compensation draws, and dividends from taxable accounts
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I retired 5 years ago at 56. Living off of taxable account savings so far. Started pension last year at age 61. Plan to start SS sometime between FRA and 70. We have IRAs and HSAs but have not yet drawn on them other than Roth conversions which is just a transfer from tax-deferred to tax-free and a reduction in taxable savings for the tax due.

Our taxable savings enabled us to retire early but I would have also had penalty free access to my 401k but we didn't need to use it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #11

my pension more than covers our expenditures, i had to write 20k in checks to uncle sam on tax day plus another 5k for estimated tax, that too was covered by the pension. Next April 15th i might have to sell some positions to cover the interest & capital gains tax hit.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
my pension more than covers our expenditures, i had to write 20k in checks to uncle sam on tax day plus another 5k for estimated tax, that too was covered by the pension. Next April 15th i might have to sell some positions to cover the interest & capital gains tax hit.
Better check on whether you are required to pay estimated taxes on those withdrawals this year. If so, and you wait, you'll get whacked with a penalty next April 15.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #13

Retired for the second and last time when I was 58, I am 63 now, (The First time was for 5 years to go sailing at 50). DW Did same a but at her corresponding ages, she is 58 now.

50% of our Nest egg is in CASH (Tax Paid) earning 3% for another 2 years) We live of that dividend interest.

The other 50% is in fixed income IRA & 427b (Pre-tax) earning 3%. We do not touch this income.

~6 Years Living Expenses in Cash in MM. (Not much return)

No Pensions. No SS....... Yet.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ranked from greatest to least:

rental income
hard money loans
notes from property sales
interest from savings, PenFed certificates
distributions from stock & bond funds
social security
bonus/point money from credit cards/bank promotions
change I pick up when on walks
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like pension and taxable accounts are what most people rely on. Good to know The future is bright!
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #16

Living off of taxable investments - mostly dividends and interests, but also return of principal.

We are still 16+ years away from accessing 401K/IRA and 20+ years away from taking SS. No pension.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired at 60 and am now 63. Started taking social security widows benefits at 60 and also have rental income. Get my insurance through Obamacare. So far that income covers all my costs and I usually end up with extra money at the end of the month. I haven't had to touch any of my investments.

When I turn 70 I'll start taking my own social security and RMDs from my IRA's.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #18

We've been living off our taxable accounts for 9 years now. We spend the mutual fund dividends and if needed, sell off shares to fund our expenses. So far, it has worked well. We're still a few years away from being able to tap retirement accounts and many years away from planned social security payments.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Pension, SS, 401k, IRA or other investment? Are you drawing down on your assets or does your asset generate your retirement income?

Curious because if you've retired "early" then some of these retirement vehicles may not be accessible
Retired at 53 and lived off savings, dividends and rental income until age 55 when pension started. I'm now 56 and live off pension, rental income and dividends. The tax deferred and taxable accounts will be left to grow (untill RMDs are required) and when SS starts I'll probably just invest it.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #20

We will retire in October and will use Roth contributions, 401k 72t, taxable money, and pension money. Depending on healthcare situation may use home equity rather than 401k 72t. Later more pensions and SS being added.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote