Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
after tax portfolio is taxable unless i'm missing something. no that would not be a good idea. bonds, small cap and reits are best held in tax deferred or a roth because they are tax inefficient. equities that don't generate a lot of cap gains such as the vg total stock market index is an example of what to hold in a taxable account.
Not sure I understand what everyone is listing. OP's title is something like what's in your aftertax portfolio?

I thought there was taxable (normal stuff not in a formal retirement plan),
tax-deferred (like TIRAs, 401Ks) , & tax free (Roths). Since tax-deferred are sometimes called pre-tax, I had assumed after tax meant Roths.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #42
gone traveling

We have very little in our respective after-tax (e.g. Roth) portfolios, and doubt that we will touch it on an ongoing basis - if at all, and hate to manage it as we do for our TIRA's.

We kept it simple. For us? Pssst - Wellesley ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Not sure I understand what everyone is listing. OP's title is something like what's in your aftertax portfolio?

I thought there was taxable (normal stuff not in a formal retirement plan),
tax-deferred (like TIRAs, 401Ks) , & tax free (Roths). Since tax-deferred are sometimes called pre-tax, I had assumed after tax meant Roths.
I took "after tax" to mean no tax deferred or tax free accounts; just investments in brokerage account earmarked for retirement.

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
STAR has a bond component. Wouldn't it be more tax efficient to just hold equities in the after tax and the bond portion in tax deferred?
You are correct and make a good point. I've held STAR for quite a long time - one of my earliest forays into investing. I am in the process of selling my shares over time; they will not be replaced. But I do have two other holdings in a taxable brokerage account (Oakmark Equity and Income and Permanent Portfolio) that I think raise the same issue. I'll have to think about how to handle them, as I do like both funds.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The leftover dregs of early ER not yet sold widows and orphans, DRIPs, dividend stocks or whatever label one chooses. Note that prior to 59 1/2 my taxable were a lot of dividend stocks and index funds rode in IRA and Roth.

utes - electric: con ed
- water: aqua america
- gas: national fuel gas
big oil: chevron and exxon
telephone: AT&T, Verizon
pharma: eli lilly, glaxo
food: JM smucker, flowers
REIT WRE, UDR,
Stonemore LLC
financial: JP morgan

Needless to say I also owned a lot of dogs since 1993 - bought, sold and erased from memory.

heh heh heh - well not really.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote