What's so bad about bond funds?

Along those lines, I think buying individual junk bonds or international issues is foolish. In that sphere, paying a bond fund for its management expertise is probably going to be worth it. (But why would you buy risky assets into the "safe" portion of your AA? That's another thread.)

FWIW, DW and I are on the lunatic fringe here at E-R; we hold TIPS, bought individually rather than in a TIPS fund.

+1 on the junk and international bonds.

TIPS? Individually held? Yes, you are going to be on my list of Dangerous Radicals Who Infest This Site. :D

I have not noticed anyone mentioning the following in this thread: But isn't one of the reasons to hold bonds (or a bond fund) is to temper the price swings of your portfolio or limit the loss when stock prices decline?

I have not noticed anyone mentioning the following in this thread: But isn't one of the reasons to hold bonds (or a bond fund) is to temper the price swings of your portfolio or limit the loss when stock prices decline?

Historically, the thinking has been that regardless of what stocks do, the bonds will be throwing off interest and be more stable as a result. Further, when stocks decline, you'd suspect that flight to safety would increase fund flows to bonds and bond funds - pushing their prices/NAV higher.

However, consider where we are today. Stocks are still within 10% of all-time highs and at the same time, the Fed has forced yields lower, buying bonds in the open market (via ETFs). Normally, when stocks go higher (during times of economic strength) logic would indicate that yields should go higher (bond prices lower). The Fed has altered these dynamics. What we've seen is as the stock market has gone higher, the Fed has continued pushing yields lower (bond prices even higher). On the flip side, when the stock market has fallen, the investors have raced towards bonds alongside the Fed and pushed yields even lower. So, when do yields go higher and what happens at that point?

Does anyone actually believe that yields will never go higher again? There are some who do make that case. The Fed has said they will be keeping rates at the current level through 2021. Can the Fed continue maintaining control over interest rates and keeping them unrealistically low? If they continue running the monetary printing presses at full throttle to do it, inflation will surely kick in and in a major way. Something's got to give.

We are in the greatest recession since Great Depression. Unemployment is actually higher.

One would believe that something will have to go. Some people believe that stock market will crash and some people believe that dollar will be devalued. If you think first option is more likely buy bonds.

Historically Central Banks save companies (stock market) and destroy peoples savings accounts and with that bonds. Else country has nothing to go back to. BTW they will also have give some money (Print it) to all those unemployed, else we will have revolution.

Last time this happened is Argentine 2018.

Last edited:
.... So, in essence, bonds funds have no maturity dates, only NAV - they are perpetual time wise. As opposed to individual bonds that have a finite maturity date - with a know value tied to stated yield per issue. ...

Great post... but I did want to mention that there a narrow niche of ETFs that are target maturity date bond funds... many bonds like a bond fund but in the terminal year the portfolio of bonds mature and the proceeds are paid out similar to individual bonds maturing.

Bulletshares are one brand and IIRC Blackrock has some too. Various flavors... corporates, high-yield, muni and of course various target maturity dates.

I have owned some of these in the past.

They're ok but the one thing that I dislike about them is that the yields in the terminal year are pathetic because they have bonds maturing throughout the year and reinvest the proceeds in low yielding short-term bonds until the terminal distribution in December.... however and fairly easy way around it is to just sell in January.

I notice the BND has risen a lot, from roughly $79 to $89 in value.

I've been thinking of selling it to capture the 12% increase, as that seems to be equal to many years of interest earnings, and avoid the drop should interest rates rise.

Of course each week I think this, it goes up in value another 25 cents or so...

Am I totally wrong in thinking it is overpriced, and in reality the new normal price for this ETF should be $88 to $89 :confused:

I've been thinking of selling it to capture the 12% increase, as that seems to be equal to many years of interest earnings, and avoid the drop should interest rates rise.

Am I totally wrong in thinking it is overpriced, and in reality the new normal price for this ETF should be $88 to $89 :confused:

No - your thinking is spot on. In a scenario as we have today, selling and taking the capital gain is the only way to benefit from the rise in bonds. It's the same whether holding a fund or individual bonds.

Of course, you'll need to decide where to reinvest the proceeds. However, having captured many years of yield, there is no particular hurry in my view.

If you buy bond funds, you may be somewhat oblivious to what is taking place in the bond market. I don't fault you or anyone else who takes this approach. However, if you look at the underlying bonds, there is real risk "today". The market is almost completely discounting risk at this time. This is being pushed forward by the Fed, providing demand where there really is not demand, and for those who want to remain in bonds (all the funds which continue to experience inflows), forces them to pay up and continue buying in to this overpriced bond bubble. Things are very different today than over the prior 10 years.

In my mind, it's not just about "waiting", it's about looking around and making a judgement about what is taking place. Artificial support is being applied. This is not what the Fed does or where it is supposed to operate. In the corporate bond market, you have plenty of zombie companies that should be out of business, but because money is so cheap to borrow and there is an entire market of yield chasers, they just keep borrowing playing a financial shell game. It very likely doesn't end well.

In any case, if you are comfortable holding bond funds, more power to you.
I’m sure you’ll be right one day, but people have been saying similar things for 10+ years - sorta like perma bears who’re wrong for years and finally have a turn in the sun eventually, and want us to forget all the years their advice was ill timed. The Fed did some abnormal things after the 2008-09 financial crisis too, yet index bond funds have beaten any cash alternative over the past 10 years. There are no good alternatives and haven’t been for about 10 years, bonds and cash are a choice between two sad options. I’m not saying their isn’t NAV risk in bond funds, but some people have been on the sidelines making much less for 10 years...

Last edited:
Great post... but I did want to mention that there a narrow niche of ETFs that are target maturity date bond funds... many bonds like a bond fund but in the terminal year the portfolio of bonds mature and the proceeds are paid out similar to individual bonds maturing.

Pb4uski,
Does Fidelity offer any of these ETF target maturity date bond funds?

Thanks,

JP

He is talking about these: https://www.invesco.com/us/financial-products/etfs/strategies/bulletshares?audienceType=Investor#tab_tab3-products

Invesco BulletShares 2021 Corporate Bond ETF BSCL
Invesco BulletShares 2022 Corporate Bond ETF BSCM
Invesco BulletShares 2023 Corporate Bond ETF BSCN
Invesco BulletShares 2024 Corporate Bond ETF BSCO
Invesco BulletShares 2025 Corporate Bond ETF BSCP
Invesco BulletShares 2026 Corporate Bond ETF BSCQ
Invesco BulletShares 2027 Corporate Bond ETF BSCR
Invesco BulletShares 2028 Corporate Bond ETF BSCS
Invesco BulletShares 2029 Corporate Bond ETF BSCT

They can certainly be purchased in a brokerage account at Fidelity, but they are not Fidelity funds.

As PB4 says, BlackRock also offers funds like these: https://www.ishares.com/us/strategies/bond-etfs/build-better-bond-ladders However, I don't believe anyone else does.

There are also high-yield versions, muni versions, and Treasury versions.

Is this in effect an illustration of the supply and demand equation? There is enough demand that prices are rising, even though there is not any real underlying financial reason for it to be happening.

If you hold bonds and need to sell before maturity you can select issues that are not impaired but If you have a fund you will have to sell some of the impaired bonds along with non impaired.

So what's wrong with parking money there until better options appear? What am I missing?

Nothing, as long as you're willing to stay invested for several years.

If "parking money there" implies a short time frame, then no, bond funds aren't a good option. Just use online savings for that purpose.

Last edited:
Broad numbers ... VFSUX NAV is about $0.25 higher now than just prior to C19 turbulence?

So, figure 2.5% increase? If bought now, and the NAV goes back to 10.75, then you lose 2.5%, and the underlying interest rate does not increase?

I’m sitting on way too much low interest MM cash right now ... but, other than picking solid, dull companies like ATT for the dividend, don’t know what else to do.

And I thought bonds provided ballast for ones portfolio when the stock market goes to hell in hand basket. Silly me!

And I thought bonds provided ballast for ones portfolio when the stock market goes to hell in hand basket. Silly me!

+1

I just took a peak at my short and mid term bond ETF performance. YTD... from 2% - 6%+ in total returns. I get all the talk interest rates have no where to go but up, but short of individual bonds, CDs, MMs, and high yield savings accounts, just not sure where to go, so I sit on my hands and stay put.

I hear some talk about buying high quality dividend paying stocks (or funds/ETFs) and or blended funds structured to minimize volatility that pay higher dividends as the new alternative to bonds, but not sure how that will really work as a ballast in a down market??

What to do... what to do:confused:??

... What to do... what to do:confused:??
John Bogle: "Don't just do something. Sit there."

Warren Buffet: "Much success can be attributed to inactivity. Most investors cannot resist the temptation to constantly buy and sell. ... Lethargy bordering on sloth should remain the cornerstone of an investment style."

I hear some talk about buying high quality dividend paying stocks (or funds/ETFs) and or blended funds structured to minimize volatility that pay higher dividends as the new alternative to bonds, but not sure how that will really work as a ballast in a down market??

It wouldn't work, which is why it shouldn't be done.

Equities are never a suitable replacement for fixed income.

Great string. We are 50/50 in our long-term money, all indexed. I’m happy to keep our bond index funds, because:

1) All the “ifs, ands, buts and maybes” mentioned in this string reaffirm my conviction that the bond environment is complex and unpredictable and, therefore, a great thing to index and ignore.

2) A primary benefit of owning bond funds is for ballast with the stock fund allocation. That benefit hasn’t changed. If bond fund prices fall 2% and stock fund prices fall 20%, I will be elated to own bond funds. Investors love to focus on growth but it is equally important to one’s net worth to avoid loss.

3). I don’t think many here have mentioned bond fund prices as a beneficiary of an emotional “flight to safety” if things get too nutty. In fact, I believe but can’t prove that this is already happening and is one of the main reasons the VG Total Bond Index price is up 8% YTD, which is equivalent to a normal year for stock returns. It is also up 3.84% over the last 10 years, which beat the heck out of cash and even inflation.

YMMV

Last edited:
Markola,

Sure, but the bonds you compare to the equities are very short term to have dropped only 2% right? Longer term are much more volatile - or, at least were recently?

BND fell about 8.5% (someone check my math) in March 2020 ... OTOH, high quality dividend paying stocks in same period got hammered 20-30% - both stocks and bonds have recovered.

I guess if I understood better, I might be willing to postulate that bonds once were a great counter-cyclical offset to stocks, but don't know if this makes as much sense as it once did?

Sure, but the bonds you compare to the equities are very short term to have dropped only 2% right? Longer term are much more volatile - or, at least were recently? BND fell about 8.5% (someone check my math) in March 2020 ... OTOH, high quality dividend paying stocks in same period got hammered 20-30% - both stocks and bonds have recovered. I guess if I understood better, I might be willing to postulate that bonds once were a great counter-cyclical offset to stocks, but don't know if this makes as much sense as it once did?
One of the things that the behavioral finance people like Thaler and Kahneman talk about is we humans' "recency bias." "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recency_bias) WADR, this statement shows that bias -- looking back a few months and concluding that a long-term trend may no longer exist. Five years from now we might be able to look back and test that thesis. But not now.

Markola,

Sure, but the bonds you compare to the equities are very short term to have dropped only 2% right? Longer term are much more volatile - or, at least were recently?

BND fell about 8.5% (someone check my math) in March 2020 ... OTOH, high quality dividend paying stocks in same period got hammered 20-30% - both stocks and bonds have recovered.

I guess if I understood better, I might be willing to postulate that bonds once were a great counter-cyclical offset to stocks, but don't know if this makes as much sense as it once did?

I’m not seeing the 8.5% drop you mentioned. The ETF fell a tad more than the mutual fund version, probably due to active traders of the ETF.
Adjustments.jpg

Hmmm ... perhaps my math off ...

1 Mar closed 86.53
12 Mar closed 80.33

So, closer to 7.1%?

Whoops ...

I guess my point was that bonds, especially right now - admittedly, right now - are generally following the market - sure, not as erratic as the equity market, but they don't seem like the safe counter-cyclical product that they used to be.

Hmmm ... perhaps my math off ...

1 Mar closed 86.53
12 Mar closed 80.33

So, closer to 7.1%?

Whoops ...

I guess my point was that bonds, especially right now - admittedly, right now - are generally following the market - sure, not as erratic as the equity market, but they don't seem like the safe counter-cyclical product that they used to be.

I keep a chunk in an Intermediate Treasuries fund since you will see BND and AGG often fall for a bit when stocks are troubled. FUAMX rose as the others fell. Downside is less growth = less height to fall from and it still has interest rate sensitivity risk.

Well, might as well stay here instead of opening a new thread.
I see a few posts on selling all equities this year, I just sold a bond fund that did well - up 12% last 12 months, up 27% over the 3 years owned and punted by buying a 3 year MYGA at 1.5%. I also bought 1 year CDs with a bit of individual bonds that came due. I'm keeping my bullet/date ending funds that make up a 6 year ladder. Not sure if I should punt with FUAMX also. FUAMX is up about 8% over the year and its tempting to take the profit, but my plan is to keep most FI in five year treasuries or a intermediate Treasury Fund.
Anyone else just pushing the issue down the road by going short term in maturing issues? How long do you think we have till rate hikes erode the bond fund principle. Thinking at least another year and that fund is earning more than 5 year Ts are now.
If course my interest rate predictions have been way off since I've started in bonds. What do you think? Punt now or try to stick with the intermediate term product as my plan has been?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom