Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What's the effect of ER on Social Security payout?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's the effect of ER on Social Security payout?

I'm sure I could research this at the SSA site, but I imagine many of you know the answer off the top of your head.

Will ER effect my eventual SS payout? Or is there a point at which you are fully 'vested'?
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Answer is a lot less than you'd think. You can go to the SS site and manually enter your data for an exact answer.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Answer is a lot less than you'd think. You can go to the SS site and manually enter your data for an exact answer.
+1

You can estimate how much you'll get retiring early using their estimator here
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's based on your top 35 years. If you've got 35 good years in then you'll see very little change. If your earnings are way higher now than when you first started earning, or if you're retiring early enough that the top 35 includes part-time or 0 years, it'll hit you harder. Do the estimator to see how hard.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Isn't the question asking whether ER but delaying SS until some later date will affect the amount? My impression is that it doesn't, unless by keeping working you could have some better earning years. If you have the necessary number of quarters at the max level, does retiring at say 60 and waiting to take SS until 66 change the amount you receive at 66 if you had worked untill 66? That is how I understand the question.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I downloaded the SS estimator program to see how it compared to my spreadsheet's calculation using the SS benefit formula's instructions in the SSA website. I had understood everything well, as the difference was only a few dollars per month.

I worked full-time for a full calendar year from 1986-2000 and had a combination of part-time and full-time months in 1982, 1983, 1985 and from 2001-2008 so I had to enter a bunch of zeroes for the rest of the years to get to 35. But when I compared this to my 2008 part-time salary assuming ~3% raises to get me to 35 non-zero values, I found that my estimated SS monthly benefits were only about 11% higher. This was because I was just entering the 15% "bend point" at which only 15% of my income would be replaced by SS. So if you see you are in that 15% bend point then your reduced SS benefits from an ER won't be much.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've run the numbers on the SSA's own site with their calculator. I found that retiring at 55 instead of 62 would reduce my benefit by about 6%.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. I've run some numbers.

The problem is if you enter a lower retirement age, the site only shows you the benefit that you'd receive at 62.

Can I assume that the deflator is constant for the other ages?

In other words:

If I retire at 45, and take payments at 62, I'd get 78% of the benefit that I would receive if I worked until retirement. From that, can I assume that retiring at 45 and collecting starting at 70 would give me 78% of the benefit I'd receive at 70 if I worked until retirement? (i hope that question is clear, I'm trying to infer the numbers that the site doesn't give me by assuming linearity)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post

The problem is if you enter a lower retirement age, the site only shows you the benefit that you'd receive at 62.

In other words:

If I retire at 45, and take payments at 62, I'd get 78% of the benefit that I would receive if I worked until retirement. From that, can I assume that retiring at 45 and collecting starting at 70 would give me 78% of the benefit I'd receive at 70 if I worked until retirement? (i hope that question is clear, I'm trying to infer the numbers that the site doesn't give me by assuming linearity)
I found that there's a mode where you can put in the annual salary... so you put your retirement age at 70 (when you plan to take SS) and put $0 in for the years between when you stop working and age 70.

It's not intuitive... but you can get the number out of their calculator.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

Ok, looks like I need to download the detailed calculator for that. I'll try it.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Ok, looks like I need to download the detailed calculator for that. I'll try it.

Thanks.
You don't.
Go through the normal estimation.
Click on the "Create Scenarios" button.
Select retirement age of 70, and future earnings of zero.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
You don't.
Correct. The detailed calculator is obsolete. It's still on the SSA site, because it's used for estimating WEP and GPO reductions. You can still use it for normal benefit calculations, but the estimator makes it unnecessary, unless one enjoys entering data.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
You don't.
That works for estimating my benefit if I retire now and take payments at 70, but not so much if I work 5 more years and take payments at 70.

Nevertheless, that's one more data point than I have now. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In other words:

From SS website:
For example, if you retire at age 62, your benefit would be about 25 percent lower than what it would be if you waited until you reach full retirement age.

For example, if you were born in 1943 or later, we will add 8 percent per year to your benefit for each year that you delay signing up for Social Security beyond your full retirement age.
So I believe that if your take your benefit at age 62 if you quit working at age 45 divided by (1-25%) times (1+(8%*4)) the result would approximate the benefit at age 70 if you stop working at age 45.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote