What's the next boom ?

renferme

Recycles dryer sheets
Stocks boomed in the 90's and crashed in 2000.
Real Estate boomed in the early 2000's and has come back to earth in the last
year (at least partly so).

What's the next BOOM ? Any guesses ?

I think there's a "global liquidity glut" and all asset classes are fully valued.

But if I had to speculate: I think the "US manufacturing pendulum might swing the other way". The dollar will devalue, the yuan will appreciate, shipping stuff over oceans will get more expensive - and there might be a "resurgence" in US manufacturing.

Delawaredave said:
shipping stuff over oceans will get more expensive

Already happened. The cost to ship bulk stuff (coal, ore, grain, fertilizer, cement, etc.) has more than doubled in the last year.

Nanotechnology, energy conservation and health care.

China, India and some lesser SEA countries.

Hasn't the BRIC cat already jumped out of the bag? It isn't "the next big thing", it was the last big thing.

The premise of this thread is that there will be a transmutation of a speculative boom rather than a splat that just lies on the ground DOA. Which I agree with, but also find very interesting. What was the boom anywhere in the world following 1929. Nada! What was the boom in Japan following the Japanese bust of the 90s? Nada!

But now we confidently count on our turbo-charged credit pusher government to hatch another boom for us, and on hedge funds, private equity and Jane and John Q. Public to make it roar once we have all figured out what it is.

It's as if the national sport is speculation on a global scale. I guess as long as we can count on a boom somewhere no one will ever have to work except for a few short years to get a grubstake to hitch on to whatever is flying. Except of course those unlucky Chinese and Indians and assorted others from that side of the globe who are still oddly committed to production of goods and services actually used by actual people in their daily lives.

Soon enough these smart fellas will catch on and then no one anywhere will have to work. Anglo-town, Europe and most of Asia will be brokers, PE moguls, Realtors (TM) and ERs. Africa will have some workers in the mines and the rest of the world will be on the dole.

Paradise Regained!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom