Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Value of your retirement portfolio? See my definition in the post.
$100,000 - $250,000 5 2.05%
$250,001 - $500,000 12 4.92%
$500,001 - $1M 43 17.62%
$1M - $1,500,000 46 18.85%
$1,500,001 - $2M 38 15.57%
$2,000,001 - $2,500,000 23 9.43%
$2,500,001 - $3M 19 7.79%
$3M - $5M 35 14.34%
$5M - $7M 6 2.46%
$7M+ 17 6.97%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Where have I heard that before; nevertheless, some on here might refer to you as "Little REWahoo"
Be careful or this thread may be closed due to the political connotation.

But the "Little REWahoo" reference is pretty funny, for a Texan.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I always knew I would never have a $10M portfolio, as long before it got that big, I would be out of the rat race...

+1

DW and I can dream about having twice as much money as we will actually have at retirement--and even a few luxuries, such as chartering domestic flights, that we could spend it on.... BUT, giving up prime, healthy retirement years for it is not worth it.

As always, this type of poll is interesting, but far too many variables to be more than that.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #43

All our essential expenses are covered by pension/SS income, so the portfolio is strictly for discretionary spending.
That's totally different IMHO from someone who relies totally (or even mainly) on their portfolio WR to live on.

So I don't see the point here, and didn't vote.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #44

Another issue with this poll is that people are at different stages of their lives. Some/many are already retired, others are still saving towards retirement.

Some are on the tail end of the age curve, others are young whippersnappers.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not to poke the bear... but what about folks with gold plated pensions, but not a huge nest egg? Are they poorer than someone with no pension, but a bigger nest egg?

I agree that it's odd to exclude inheritance... if it's money in the nest egg...

Also - what about rental properties... they provide an income stream, and can be sold to increase the nest egg...

Too many problems with how this poll was defined in the OP.
This. Agree 100%.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
LOL, but REWahoo started it with his "big hands" comment.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
LOL, but REWahoo started it with his "big hands" comment.
"He hit me first!"
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't get this poll. I would prefer a poll like:

- pension/social security income
- expenses

That would more relevant.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #49
Administrator

My grandpappy used to say "forewarned is twice warned". This is very difficult to capture as a poll topic, as W2R warned here
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

If you decide that you want to post a poll of portfolio sizes, go right ahead! Be sure to define what you want people to include. I guarantee you that otherwise, some will include their home, some won't, some will include investment real estate, some won't, and some will include their pension and/or SS, and some won't, some will include cash, some won't.
I didn't vote because I don't have a pension and some people do, we do have a second home that's not included while other people don't, we're older than some and younger than others, we have a separate cash account not included in the portfolio, and I don't think there's an inheritance out there but can't say for sure. Besides, the portfolio categories are spread unevenly.

And what do we do with SS?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Send it to me if you can't figure it out.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Send it to me if you can't figure it out.
You got it. Just send me your name, address, bank account # and SS # and I'll set up an automatic transfer.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #52

Quote:
You got it. Just send me your name, address, bank account # and SS # and I'll set up an automatic transfer.
Oh please!

Since you are being so generous I wouldn't think of putting you to all that trouble. I'll be more than happy to take care of the auto-transfer for you. Heck, I'll even take any built-up accumulation off your hands as well!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My grandpappy used to say "forewarned is twice warned". This is very difficult to capture as a poll topic, as W2R warned here

I didn't vote because I don't have a pension and some people do, we do have a second home that's not included while other people don't, we're older than some and younger than others, we have a separate cash account not included in the portfolio, and I don't think there's an inheritance out there but can't say for sure. Besides, the portfolio categories are spread unevenly.

I thought Aida2003 did the best possible job in defining what she wanted to ask about in this poll. Like someone else said, it's like herding cats around here. I guess people just assume purposes for the poll that were never stated or claimed, and then object to the way it was defined for that reason.

The poll was inspired by portfolio sizes that some members had claimed in other posts, AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aida2003
While reading a few threads on "Hi, I am..." yesterday, I "met" a few millionaires with great wealth which got me curious. I created a poll to learn the size of ER or seeking ER retirement portfolios.
I don't think she wanted to know how "well set" we are for retirement overall. She clearly asked for exactly what she wanted. Members are free to ignore the poll if they wish.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
A better question would be "net worth"

My house is paid for and I do consider it an "asset" as I don't have to pay rent or mortgage and that is a real "income", same as if I had assets paying that dividend.
I would disagree. I have a paid off house, but it doesn't produce any income to feed me. That's why I'm thinking that paid-off rental house could be included in the portfolio because provides income for your living.

Like I said it's not a scientific survey here.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I don't get this poll. I would prefer a poll like:

- pension/social security income
- expenses

That would more relevant.
CaliKid, if you could create such a poll, I'm all for it. Give it a shot
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But the "Little REWahoo" reference is pretty funny, for a Texan.

How does that saying go? "Everything is bigger in Texas" .

Doing a little Googling, seems studies indicate that finger length ratios (but not the size of the fingers themselves) can provide a better clue. Maybe the next time someone says "I'll give you a palm reading", maybe it is not only the palm getting read. .
Old 05-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Another issue with this poll is that people are at different stages of their lives. Some/many are already retired, others are still saving towards retirement.

Some are on the tail end of the age curve, others are young whippersnappers.
Yep, I agree with this too, but how do you create such a poll/survey, Rodi? I think young people would realize that they still have years ahead to save (like my own family).

All I was curious about the distribution of values of retirement portfolios on this forum. And what I meant by 'retirement portfolios' is family's savings from 401k or similar plans + IRA's + taxable savings for the 'gray' years. If some people chose not to save because they knew they'd get a large pension, so be it. It will skew the results, but pension like SS is income streams, not assets. Yeah, I know different people view it differently.
I don't care about each person's individual nest eggs, but of course I curiously read such posts on some threads. If people disclose, I'm fine. I don't know such people personally and even if I did, so what? Sure there can be emotions involved, but that would be my problem to deal with, right?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
CaliKid, if you could create such a poll, I'm all for it. Give it a shot
+1, and the same goes for the rest of you that want a different kind of poll. It would be fun to have several competing polls, and we would all learn even more about the difficulties of defining our terms for a poll.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm waiting for the how long is your Johnson poll.
Hmm, is this the right forum for such a poll, maybe we shouldn't go that far
Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
I can understand not including a "potential" inheritance but some us may have major investments in cars, collectables, etc. I know I have "collectables" that I have bought as investments and many (not all) have increased significantly in value. Similar to stocks in my 401k and IRA.
But they are not feeding you, are they?
See, W2R already found an old poll of net worth so I didn't want to repeat it. Each questionnaire, survey, or poll have not well defined questions and/or different person interprets them in a different way. This is not a census survey