What's Your Annual Travel Budget?

Watch for fare sales. Business class fares are discounted during the summer months to Europe and Novenber and December to Asia. We have paid as little as $2400 for return flights from LAX to LHR for non refundable business class. You can get even better deals from JFK to Europe. There are a lot of flight options to Asia from LAX. Someone I know uses Skylux to buy business class tickets. I'm looking into that for future travel.

My wife and I like to buy 3 contiguous seats in coach. Not quite as comfortable as business class but much less expensive.

My wife and I like to buy 3 contiguous seats in coach. Not quite as comfortable as business class but much less expensive.
I don't need the width just the leg room. If you're in the same boat, try booking one in the last row (2 across) or upstairs. Conversely upgrade in seat selection. Cost me only 180 RT to go from economy to economy plus in 2 seat row. Sort of guarantees that window seat will remain open as most still travel overseas with someone (& I can't sleep on planes no matter how long the flight is so don't need to recline)

Last edited:
We need the ability to recline more than the width, and more than even leg room. I have a tough time to sleep sitting up.

Sleeping is the best way to avoid the tedium of long flights, and I also arrive at the destination all refreshed and ready to go.

When I flew in a business seat, even a long flight of 15 hours or more was so uneventful and went by fast, compared to a much shorter domestic flight in a cramped seat.

DW offered me one of those lie-flat business class seats to Europe for my 40th birthday and I slept for the first time ever on a flight! It made the whole thing feel so much more civilized. I used to have terrible jet lag which would ruin half of our vacation, but I am ready to go when we land in Europe now. We have never been to the back of the airplane again. Business class to Europe is crazy expensive but oh well, it is one of our few extravagances. DW got used to fly in business/first class when she traveled for work and I think that it would be even harder for her to go back to economy.

Conversely upgrade in seat selection. Cost me only 180 RT to go from economy to economy plus in 2 seat row. Sort of guarantees that window seat will remain open as most still travel overseas with someone (& I can't sleep on planes no matter how long the flight is so don't need to recline)

That worked for me coming home from London en route from India- not enough miles to book the whole thing in Business so I was in Coach from LHR-DFW. I forget what I spent to choose a seat in Coach behind the bulkhead row which had no seat in front of it but WELL worth it.

DW offered me one of those lie-flat business class seats to Europe for my 40th birthday and I slept for the first time ever on a flight! It made the whole thing feel so much more civilized. I used to have terrible jet lag which would ruin half of our vacation, but I am ready to go when we land in Europe now. We have never been to the back of the airplane again. Business class to Europe is crazy expensive but oh well, it is one of our few extravagances. DW got used to fly in business/first class when she traveled for work and I think that it would be even harder for her to go back to economy.

Lie flat or not, I still can't sleep more than 5 minutes when flying. Did 1st class to Hawaii and Spain, long flight and just couldn't drift off. Still was more pleasant than crammed into economy.

When megacorp sent me to the Middle East for a short assignment, the non-stop flight to/from the East Coast was something like 13 hours, and it went by so fast.

Yet, the flights to/from home to the East Coast were in coach because the flight had to be longer than 6 hours before they paid for business class. Oh, pure misery!

Coach seats in international flights are not as bad as coach seats in domestic flights. For a short 1-hr or 1.5-hr flight, I may not complain too much, but a coast-to-coast flight of 5 or 6 hours is just plain torture.

So, to go to Europe, I prefer to catch a short domestic flight to LAX, then take a non-stop flight to Europe. Works way better that way. And it may be cheaper too, because LAX is a big hub.

Still have not paid for a biz-class seat out of pocket in my life. Still work on that, with myself and with DW who is even more frugal.

Last edited:
I have another 2-3 years before we semi-FIRE meaning I leave megacorp and do something part time (still have kids at home), then another 10 before full FIRE. Travel has and always will be of significant importance to us. 2018 we will spend approximately $30K on travel, family of 4. At full FIRE, I expect live a virtual lifestyle, living 2-4 months in various locations around the globe year round. I plan to sell everything thus lowering expenses and rent. I am no stranger to this lifestyle having done it for 2 years, it is a wonderful life.

Lie flat or not, I still can't sleep more than 5 minutes when flying.

I had a boss who'd be asleep by the time we taxied to the end of the runway. I wanted to shoot him!:D

Right now we are spending about $15K a year but plan to up it to $25-30K the next 5 years. 65 years old and I want to travel a lot while still able.

We enjoy cruises unlike some others on here and do a number of them. Also like guided tours as they know a heck of lot more about their countries than I ever would.

I had a boss who'd be asleep by the time we taxied to the end of the runway. I wanted to shoot him!:D

DW is like that. Then, after sleeping for 6 hours, she'd wake up and complain that she did not get a restful sleep. I had little sympathy for her when we were flying economy and I could not sleep a wink!:D

To go back to the OP, our travel budget is ~10K per year minimum, but it can double or triple some years. In 2017, it was around $10K because we put a lot of money (and time) in our house renovation project. But it will be $20K+ in 2018, 2019, and 2020.

I have to say though, our travel budget would be a lot smaller it it were just me... DW enjoys traveling a lot more than I do.

NW: you are right that couch seats on international flights are much bigger then in the states. I have learned how to sleep sitting up on planes. Once on a flight from rome we only had 4 hours sleep the night before because of taking a high speed train to Venice for the day. So we were tired when getting on in the morning. They served wine with breakfast. I decided it would help me sleep and it did:))

NW: you are right that couch seats on international flights are much bigger then in the states. I have learned how to sleep sitting up on planes. Once on a flight from rome we only had 4 hours sleep the night before because of taking a high speed train to Venice for the day. So we were tired when getting on in the morning. They served wine with breakfast. I decided it would help me sleep and it did:))

Couch seat? I would not complain. :)

A couple of times, taking a red-eye flight Phoenix/Frankfurt non-stop, I had the entire row of middle seats on a twin-aisle plane to lie down. Ahhh! First class flat bed for coach fare.

Lufthansa cancelled that route, and I didn't blame them.

I couldn't live without my doggies:)) Everything else would get cut first although we are downsizing the number by natural attrition.

+1

Money spent on our dog is some of the best value there is.
Some things are not just all about money.

Caring for 4 old dogs is a ton of work. Before 2 died I had to be home 3x's a day to give them each 4 meds each. Plus they aren't all pills. Some liquid, some had to be melted in hot water and poured down their throat because they couldn't be hid in food. At one point we were spending 600/month on dog meds. Now we have 2 old dogs and 1 young one. i am thinking we will eventually get to 2 and be happy. I thought about one but the little guy wants to play with his old sister 4 times/day and I think he would be sad without a buddy. Co: like you my dogs are priceless:))

4 old cats (2 sixteen, 2 eighteen) here and 1 almost old (ten) dog. One cat alone needs the following: stomach med every 8 to 10 hrs, insulin every 12 hrs, blood pressure med every 24 hrs, subQ fluids every other day ( she rests with the line dripping into her for 4 min. each time), a squirt in mouth of liquid med twice a week to slow hr kidney disease. Some meds are trans dermal (cream in ear) and others a pills crushed and mixed in a bit of food and I sit with her while she eats it or if she is in the mood wrapped in a bit of thin sliced ham and put down her throat (followed by a bit more ham which she eats so the experience ends happily). Not to mention the now occasional ear stick for a blood glucose check and the occasional barf event despite the meds to prevent it, which requires yet another med to stop that.

And she is a great therapy cat who has brought so much joy and peace to so many over her long career, so I am happy to do all this, and I have a great vet. But, still I do not want to leave her there to travel, even though I could. The end will come only when she is unhappy (she still is active as a therapy cat) or her kidney disease progresses into stage 4 or some new disease crops up that cannot be managed without suffering. Not every cat can accept all this, and she amazes me that she can, even appreciates it. Smart, I guess.

I'm 37 and we spend about $10k/yr. I used to own a boat but wanted a break from the hustle and bustle of ownership.

This includes skiing the mtns, a decent 10day road trip, a few 3/4 day weekenders in the US, a trip to Big Island HI and a local cottage rental. Oh some sailing trips with the folks over the summer as well.

Two small children keeping us from International travel, but in hind sight the trip from middle of country to Big Island was an 11 hour ordeal, so I think the kids could handle international.

We prefer traveling somewhere warm in winter, and sticking around mid-west for the summers.

This includes middle of the road car rental, hotels/homeaway, and some frequent flier miles. I spend a lot on experiences and gear for the trips...snorkel, bikes, hikes, zip line, bungee, concerts, museums, tours, good dinners out etc. We do try to cook most of our food in the hotels/air bnb.

Gotta live on your way to ER right? Blow that dough baby!

Couch seat? I would not complain. :)

A couple of times, taking a red-eye flight Phoenix/Frankfurt non-stop, I had the entire row of middle seats on a twin-aisle plane to lie down. Ahhh! First class flat bed for coach fare.

Lufthansa cancelled that route, and I didn't blame them.

The lady next to us on the 6hr flight home from Big Island had the whole row. She smiled, put her jacket over her head and didnt wake up until the plane landed.

I was envious with two little kids and my wife occupying the other left side of the planes 3-seater row. :facepalm:

Yes. Life can be really unfair, and it is most noticeable when you draw the short straw.

Most painful is when you get the seat just before the bulkhead. The seat does not recline so you sit up the entire flight. Adding insult to injury is when the guy in front reclines his seat into your face.

How could airlines fly planes with seats like that? I would understand if a passenger goes berserk and opens an aircraft door or something like that. If on a jury, I would acquit. :)

Last edited:
We have decided that when our last Golden passes we will be doggie less. We tried that when our last Golden died. I lasted about a year before we rescued another Golden. Mrs Scrapr now says we will use Rover to dog sit for our fix

Our last 3 week trip we had a dog sitter come stay at the house. One of the 2 Goldens gained 6 pounds. We weren't happy. We really try to watch their weight as bigger dogs have mobility problems at the joints. Weight makes a difference. I don't think she was really a dog person

My roommate in Maui hadn't left the island since her divorce ten years prior. Because she didn't trust anyone with her parrot. I unknowingly offered to parrot sit since I was living there anyways, and learned that sometimes I need to know when to say no.

I was a terrible parrot sitter, it turned out terribly, I dropped the bird once, thank god didnt get bit, but that full maca watned nothing to do with me.

And it pooped all over the house and chewed everything up. It kind of tarnished my relationship with my roommate too a little.

Now a dog, I can dog sit. I can go for runs with a dog, but a full maca parrot, never again.

That poor bird was keeping this women from doing anything really, it was sad. :facepalm:

Dogs are expensive, boats are expensive...right now we are enjoying traveling and running/hiking around the US.

Yes. Life can be really unfair, and it is most noticeable when you draw the short straw.

Most painful is when you get the seat just before the bulkhead. The seat does not recline so you sit up the entire flight. Adding insult to injury is when the guy in front reclines his seat into your face.

How could airlines fly planes with seats like that? I would understand if a passenger goes berserk and opens an aircraft door or something like that. If on a jury, I would acquit. :)

Lol. I am trying to imagine both me and you NW-Bound in that seat that doesn't recline. Its even worse to frown when you can't do it in the reclined position.

I honestly sometimes just try to forget about the airport travel experience all together. I've sort of succumb to the fact its work getting to the airport, getting through security, getting onto the plane. I just try to have a few positive interactions along the way and try and cheer those up that are not.

I've flown private, a few different Falcons, a Gulfstream once. The experience is completely 180 difference. All the booze and snacks, the courtesy limo, and the friendliest staff up in those Millionaire hangars!! :D

If I could afford Private, I would do that everywhere.

I read a biography of a Wallstreeter who might be worth tens of millions if not $100M.

In an occasion, he flew on someone else's jet to Switzerland, and he was surprised that he just walked out of the plane to the street. He was not met by Customs, Immigration officials or anyone. Same way when he flew back.

Even though he had a bit of money, he was impressed with the privilege of someone who had more than he did.

Last edited:

I've had that seat on a 6-hour flight, except it was not a bulkhead behind me but the bathroom (last row on a Delta B757). I had the window seat (in a 3-3 seat arrangement), the guy in front of me reclined his seat and I felt completely boxed in. It was a very bumpy ride to boot and we had to stay seated for almost the entire flight. I was able to mentally escape this hell hole by playing a jigsaw puzzle game on my iPad for five and a half hours straight. And yet it was not even my most miserable flight...:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom