Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft57 View Post
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...io-allocations

OP ck these graphs for historical returns on various asset allocations. I'm pretty conservative as well but have settled on 20-35% equities.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
That's good stuff! I look forward to adding another 10% - 15% to equities if and when valuations return to historical norms...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
OP, since you're a Hussman fan you might be interested in this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...cks-85416.html

Personally, I think he is a flake and has a poor record, but to each his own.

okay thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
since the 1980's every year the fed raised short term rates more than 1% in a year intermediate term bonds went up in value , except 1994 .

but today we are seeing something different . short term rates are moving very little and it is the expectation of higher inflation driving longer term rates .

the end result is bond values are falling far more than just short term interest rate movements would reflect .

we rolled back up a bit off the lows but we can resume the downward trend at any point in time again .

if trumps growth expectations do not pan out bonds ,especially long term treasury's can do very well . but if inflation expectations remain high than bonds are not going to be adding a whole lot to the growth of a portfolio and will likely be taking away . cash and equity's may be the better choice as the cash acts as stock options for stocks at lower prices with no expiration while benefiting from rising rates .

I would disagree....especially those of us with large investment portfolios. So if I have an investment portfolio of $5million and I desire a 50/50 AA equities / fixed income , you are suggesting $2.5M equities/ 2.5M cash? And if stocks do not correct in the near future, how long should we be sitting on all that cash earning a whopping 1% or less?

I would much rather have an AA of 50/40/10 equities/bonds/cash
keeping the bonds at the short duration level (less than 5 years) and at least gain some dividends in the 2-3% range. This also allows for tax loss harvesting in a taxable account if one desires to sell equities that have gained and offsetting these gains with moderate bond losses.
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

K[IMG]i[/IMG]uuyuuiouiiiutyhruu
Old 02-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
K[IMG]i[/IMG]uuyuuiouiiiutyhruu
Hairball?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:43 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
[/B][/U][/COLOR]

I would disagree....especially those of us with large investment portfolios. So if I have an investment portfolio of $5million and I desire a 50/50 AA equities / fixed income , you are suggesting $2.5M equities/ 2.5M cash? And if stocks do not correct in the near future, how long should we be sitting on all that cash earning a whopping 1% or less?

I would much rather have an AA of 50/40/10 equities/bonds/cash
keeping the bonds at the short duration level (less than 5 years) and at least gain some dividends in the 2-3% range. This also allows for tax loss harvesting in a taxable account if one desires to sell equities that

have gained and offsetting these gains with moderate bond losses.
That would only be true until bond rates continue their rise. Losing 5% in a total bond fund for every point rates rise vs gaining in cash may not be the best strategy
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That would only be true until bond rates continue their rise. Losing 5% in a total bond fund for every point rates rise vs gaining in cash may not be the best strategy
I too would disagree..Dividends will only go up as interest rates rise..I have nothing I plan to sell at any time period less than the longest term bond held in my bond funds..Again it's my desire that interest rates rise...
Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with you that interest rate risk is real but IMO 50% in cash is crazy... there are other ways to mitigate interest rate risk. For example, long CDs have no interest rate risk and pay a lot more than cash.... or while short (5 year or less) individual bonds or target maturity bond funds have interest rate risk you will get your par value back within 5 years or less so they are similar to a CD but with some extent of temporary interest rate risk... or even low duration bond funds.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote