When does SS update your earnings record?

Finance Dave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm self-employed, and wondering when SS will update my earnings record for 2020. Obviously they can't do it prior to receiving my tax return and schedule SE...but does anyone know how this works after that? Is there a set date?

I filed my taxes electronically on February 19th. About a week later, went online and reviewed my Social Security statement.

To my amazement, they had already uploaded my 2020 income. So it only took a week in my case.

Here is the SSA "official" gory details documentation on the master earnings file (MEF) used to calculate benefits: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v69n3/v69n3p29.html

From that page (as it might fall into the "too much to read" category for many :)):

SSA receives information from employers and the IRS continuously; therefore the MEF is updated on a weekly basis.
So there does not seem to be a set date... it depends on when the IRS sends the data over, and within a week after it is received the MEF file is updated.

In our experience, DW has self-employed earnings. I cannot recall us checking her earnings record before June, but it was always updated at that time. Also by our experience, the change in the DW's SS benefit check occurred in October with a retroactive payment for January-October and the new amount starting in the November payment.

I filed my taxes electronically on February 19th. About a week later, went online and reviewed my Social Security statement.

To my amazement, they had already uploaded my 2020 income. So it only took a week in my case.

Are you self employed? W2 income can be reported even if you don’t file a tax return.

On a related note, I think the SS estimated benefits are updated in Dec.

2022 SS estimated benefit amounts have been updated on their website.

Thanks for letting us know the 2022 updates are in the my Social Security. I printed my statement out last month and my projected age 70 gross amount today went up $100/month and the age 67 that I currently am planning is up $81/mo.

Still more than dozen years away so anything can happen but nice to see for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom