When it rains it pours

Yeah, I had budgeted $2-3k for some fascia board repairs and painting, now a new heating/air unit to be installed next week. Posted under another forum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=869396&postcount=2568

Oh well, where are my med's?
img_869401_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

Just a reminder of why it's important to LBYM and plan for unexpected expenses in retirement or semi-retirement. I was just starting to think it would be possible for me to come in under budget for 2009 living expenses. So much for that idea. Sunday morning I woke up to a dead 6 year old refrigerator, $500 later and lot of work it's replaced. Next day, I lose a filling in a molar and the dentist says it's time for a crown, est $1400. Not that I believe in such things but I am wondering today what is the number 3 item of bad luck going to be :(

We needed a very expensive new roof soon after retirement, much to my shock and chagrin. Luckily we'd been below budget for a few years ahead, so we didn't go way over when we counted what we'd saved in the previous few years, but it was very scary anyway. It made us revise our budget to add "amortization", extra money set aside for the huge unexpected expenses. It hurt when we cut down what we could spend each month, but not nearly as much as the fear that we'd retired too early to handle the unexpected.
So maybe your "three" was my roof and you're ok now!

Not sure if this would help anyone but it is something I have considered doing. There is a Dental School in a City near me. I have thought of having my dental work done during retirement at the school to save money. I am told the work is quality and the students are being watched closely and basically being graded on their work. I feel sure the dental students are very close to graduating at the point of working on patients. Anyway you guys could look into this in your area and find out if it is a money saver for all of us. I still have dental insurance at this time so who volunteers to be the guinea pig ? :LOL:
Steve

Not sure if this would help anyone but it is something I have considered doing. There is a Dental School in a City near me. I have thought of having my dental work done during retirement at the school to save money. I am told the work is quality and the students are being watched closely and basically being graded on their work. I feel sure the dental students are very close to graduating at the point of working on patients. Anyway you guys could look into this in your area and find out if it is a money saver for all of us. I still have dental insurance at this time so who volunteers to be the guinea pig ? :LOL:
Steve

This is a good idea--depending on how it works, they may be looking for patients. I have a friend who teaches in a health service field and the students have to "bring their own patients" so I imagine they would love having easily available.

haha I have heard of a lot of people who have gone to Los Algodones with good results but I have no experience there so can't personally comment. I have had work done in Guadalajara by an American trained dentist. While the work was less than half what I got quotes for here, Guadalajara is going to be more expensive than many areas of Mexico but it is a beautiful cosmopolitan city and only a short hop over to Puerto Vallarrta's wonderful beaches.

I have had my teeth cleaned several times since here in the states and when I told them that I had the major work done SOB they could find nothing at all wrong with the work.

Expenses happen like that. One day last year the dishwasher died, the next day high winds tore off major portions of the back porch roof.

Reminds me of the in the '70's when I replaced the alternator on my car, started it up and immediately noticed the small hole in the muffler....

Back
Top Bottom