When to reinvest

I have owned the Admiral shares version.... VTIAX for many years and have never had a corrected 1099 that I can remember.

Why do you ask?

I ask because I am considering buying some in a taxable account and I don't like having to re-file taxes when the funds (or ETF's) correct. If they correct I sell them.

Interesting thread. I am also in mainly cash, meaning about 2-3% returns depending on location , also due to my 401k conversion, but also after liquidating my company stock at a high, which had been a fairly regular oscillator and paid good divs as well, and after it dropped, I planned to buy again. I did this for years, and ROI was very good, around, 12-15%/yr. But this time it has just stayed high for 4 months and has been in a stagnant holding pattern. The result is a 10/10/80 AA currently. Same analysis paralysis. I’m not complaining, as I was 80/10/10 for the previous 11 years and did very well, and did see the big drops everyone else did, like 12/18, and went from plus 15% to about 1% in that month, for the year. So it feels like I am taking a breather at the moment. At 62 (shy a month) and only retired for 7 months, I am in this transition phase where I will shortly (2021) have to make the mental step from accumulating to spending, and converting to Roth. Like I suspect the OP was thinking, I think this air seems too rarified to maintain, but I base it on nothing other than, “dammmm 28,800..seriously?”

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I am also in mainly cash, meaning about 2-3% returns depending on location , also due to my 401k conversion, but also after liquidating my company stock at a high, which had been a fairly regular oscillator and paid good divs as well, and after it dropped, I planned to buy again. I did this for years, and ROI was very good, around, 12-15%/yr. But this time it has just stayed high for 4 months and has been in a stagnant holding pattern. The result is a 10/10/80 AA currently. Same analysis paralysis. I’m not complaining, as I was 80/10/10 for the previous 11 years and did very well, and did see the big drops everyone else did, like 12/18, and went from plus 15% to about 1% in that month, for the year. So it feels like I am taking a breather at the moment. At 62 (shy a month) and only retired for 7 months, I am in this transition phase where I will shortly (2021) have to make the mental step from accumulating to spending, and converting to Roth. Like I suspect the OP was thinking, I think this air seems too rarified to maintain, but I base it on nothing other than, “dammmm 28,800..seriously?”

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads®_investing_start-up_kit

Back
Top Bottom