Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

when to stop saving in tax-deferred accts
Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

when to stop saving in tax-deferred accts

I'm looking at numbers for ER and speculating how ER at age 55 or earlier would work for me, and I realize I need two pots of money, one in standard retirement accts, 401k etc. that are all tax-deferred, but can't be withdrawn before 59.5 yrs, and another pot in taxable accounts to cover me from 55yrs to 59.5 years. Running current investments in firecalc and ******** I see that I am getting close to having enough saved in my current tax-deferred retirement accounts to cover pot 1, so at some point I need to switch and start working on pot 2, but it feels like a real waste to not continue investing in tax-deferred accounts to get those capital gains tax free. Perhaps the answer is SEPP withdrawals. Is there a standard line of thinking regarding this "problem"? Perhaps people plan to use SEPP to cover their absolute minimum expenses and then only save enough in taxed accounts to cover the gap/variation between minimum and desired expenses? Is there any concern that SEPP will not be allowed anymore 20 years from now?
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My conclusion has always been that tax advantaged space is limited and I want to take as much advantage of it as I can. When it's time to live on the funds, I can SEPP or withdraw Roth contributions or rely on other assets not in tax advantaged accounts long enough to get me to 59.5 (or 55 for 401k if I retire from a job that allows it). Too much uncertainty to deliberately not take advantage of the best tax opportunity available. I'll work out details when needed.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have always put at least a little something in taxable after 401k etc was maxed out.Of course the little something got much bigger over time. Some are not as lucky as we were to be able to afford that.
sayhey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

I used to worry about this in my 30s and early 40s, when retirement savings were nearly 100% tax-deferred. But then I retired at 52 with close to a 50/50 mix. The taxable account increased dramatically in my late 40s and early 50s. This was a combination of peak earnings, flat spending, and the kids moving out. We continued to max-out our tax-deferred accounts but saved every dime we could beyond that with an eye on ER. If you find yourself retired in your 50s with nothing but tax-deferred, then SEPP is your friend. Some people can access their 401K at 55 as well, which is common solution to this.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

I see that this is a common theme on this forum. My breakdown is:

18% Deferred Comp
23% Taxable
59% Tax Deferred

So, over 75% of my portfolio will be taxed. Would I have like to have a bigger chunk in taxable? Yes. Am I going to convert any money out of my IRA's? No.

This is just the way it worked out. I was making a very good salary with bonuses so to save me from getting murdered on my taxes I socked away 30% of my salary in tax deferred products. I know I'll have to pay when the time comes but I'm not upset about how things worked out.

At the exact time my Deferred Comp runs out I will have to do my RMD's.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

My portfolio is 70% tax deferred and, being in the process of retiring at 55, I think I under-did the taxable savings. The problem is that tax deferred is taxed at regular rates which really limits your flexibility in managing taxes.

In planning near term financial moves I'm learning a lot about tax cliffs, in-plan Roth 401(k) conversions, tIRA/Roth conversions, and other niceities that would be much easier to manage if my taxable portfolio was a higher fraction.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

There are several ways you can access the tax deferred money. You can do 72t like you mentioned, Roth IRA conversions, and even early withdrawal with 10% penalty has shown to be preferential in some situations for ER IIRC.
http://www.madfientist.com/how-to-ac...t-funds-early/

I on the other hand max out tax deferred and then focus on Roth IRA and After tax 401k for additional balance.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

75% tax deferred
15% after tax
10% tax free (Roth)

Probably overdid the tax deferred a bit.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #9

We maxed all tax deferred while in 25% marginal bracket. Also have always maxed Roth contributions. Current mix is:
76% deferred, 20% Roth, 4% after tax
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does your 401k permit penalty-free withdrawals if you terminate service in the year you turn 55 (or later)? Most do, and if so, it would be a better option than a SEPP.

We used taxable accounts to fund our living expenses from ER until we had penalty-free access to tax-deferred accounts.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

As I was nearing my ER "magic number" in 2006-2008, I was torn between how much to invest in my 401k because I wanted to have extra money available to get me from age 45 to age ~60, when I would gain access to the first of my "reinforcements," my tIRA (rollover from my 401k).

This issue resolved itself, more or less, when in 2007 I further reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12. When I did that, I lost the bennie of matching funds for my 401k contributions. So, needing as much of my reduced income to cover my regular expenses, I ended my contributions to the 401k.

When I ERed, I was able to cash out my company stock at favorable tax rates (LTCG) and combine it with my current taxable portfolio to generate enough in monthly dividends to cover my expenses. I have been living off that since 2008.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Does your 401k permit penalty-free withdrawals if you terminate service in the year you turn 55 (or later)? Most do, and if so, it would be a better option than a SEPP.

We used taxable accounts to fund our living expenses from ER until we had penalty-free access to tax-deferred accounts.

+1
Also, capital gains in 401k are not tax free. They are tax deferred and taxed at a higher rate than the cap gains rate. That is a good reason for pot #2.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

True, the beauty of taxable account equities is 0% tax on qualified dividends and long-term capital gains if you stay in the 15% tax bracket and the foreign tax credit for international equities in taxable accounts... almost as good as a Roth.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:

i just learned about this exception from another poster, its an awesome thing i never heard of before.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
i just learned about this exception from another poster, its an awesome thing i never heard of before.
Your 457 also.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #16

Quote:
True, the beauty of taxable account equities is 0% tax on qualified dividends and long-term capital gains if you stay in the 15% tax bracket and the foreign tax credit for international equities in taxable accounts... almost as good as a Roth.
Plus if you harvest losses when you have them you can use the loss against ordinary income ($3K per year max) and/or offset gains in other years.

Timely transfer of appreciated taxable holdings to a DAF can also create some interesting tax rate arbitrage opportunities.

While I wouldn't skip the deferred accounts, taxable accounts if managed a bit can be pretty tax efficient.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #17

I had to do just that, but I realized I had to create the fully taxable pot about 7 years before FIRE. I contributed the max to my 401k and non employee ROTH as well as my taxable pot every year until the day I retired.

Tags
sepp