Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When would you retire?
Lean Fire @ 54 4 2.26%
FIRE @ 55 39 22.03%
Fat FIRE @ 56 76 42.94%
Obese FIRE @ 57 58 32.77%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Another factor is the economy. What if we hit a recession within the next couple of years? I’d be more inclined to hang on a little longer and try to ride out the downturn before retirement.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

What are your savings withdrawal rates for each of these?
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
"Reliable" is a euphemism for "Boring"
Old 01-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Reliable" is a euphemism for "Boring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
How highly correlated is retirement satisfaction with BTD? Different people answer this question in different ways. For me, the correlation is rather low (although I'm only semi-R), but other folks are wired differently. I didn't vote in the poll because it seems to imply that BTD is the retirement degree of freedom that matters, a viewpoint I don't share. To each their own.
I'm with socca on this. I can't remember many BTD moments in my life that made me any happier. I guess it was cuz most of them were new roofs, replacement HVACs and appliances, etc.

But I'd hold out past "lean FIRE" if possible because I'm a worry wart. I would want the BTD allowance as insurance against some unforeseen circumstances rather than for pulse-pounding discretionary spends.

DW knows I'm not so much "exciting" as "reliable".
Old 01-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
I said 55 bc I hate my job. But also I was thinking about a sick coworker who probably won't live to see 60. But you never know. And you always leave money on the table somehow.
+1
Nobody's ever left time on the table.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callitaday2022 View Post
If healthy...I'd go for a long fat FIRE

+1

Fat FIRE was my decision as a balance of health and money that the health would have fun with.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love my kids so I'd go with obese.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:08 AM   #27

Mar of 22 on your chart looks good to me.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:50 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

So how does one accumulate $$$ sufficient to jump from base to comfy to fire in 1 year each?
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

This is an interesting thread. I'd be happier with excess, worry-free, things-go-wrong $ on the side in my budget...because sometimes go wrong.
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigfoot View Post
So how does one accumulate $$$ sufficient to jump from base to comfy to fire in 1 year each?
A very large salary compared to expenses allows for a very high absolute savings each year. I'll post the chart with the numbers. We save $200,000-$350,000 / year depending on how much stock vests.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #31

I voted for 55. I'd rather retire fairly comfortably, with some wiggle room in there, rather than going out on fairly bare-bones retirement. To me, that's worth the extra year of working. And, depending on how well the job situation is, I might even be tempted to push out until 56, if it meant an extra 10% in the annual budget.

Now I'm saying this as a 49 year old, who turns 50 in April. I might feel different in a few years. As the time goes by, each passing year becomes more and more valuable, because you only have so many left.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired at the earliest that I could [knowing that I could support my family].
Old 01-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

What the underlying % success rate would be important to me, didn’t see that. A 95% success rate wouldn’t be the same answer as something higher.

I’d work as long as you can stand it regardless. You’ll be retired for a LONG time whether you go at 54 or 57. Retired for 30 years or 34 years isn’t a huge difference.

And I’d call obese FIRE 100% BTD, and adjust the others accordingly. But we each decide for ourselves.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
What the underlying % success rate would be important to me, didn’t see that. A 95% success rate wouldn’t be the same answer as something higher.

I’d work as long as you can stand it regardless. You’ll be retired for a LONG time whether you go at 54 or 57. Retired for 30 years or 34 years isn’t a huge difference.

And I’d call obese FIRE 100% BTD, and adjust the others accordingly. But we each decide for ourselves.
Great question. In each scenario, the base budget is @ 99%. The BTD is VPW to age 80. If we are broke @ 80 it's because we chose to be and we will have to find a way to live off of $107k of COLA pension + SS / year.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #35

Obese FIRE if you like the work & are healthy.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #36

Having children, if it were only a matter of a year between fat and obese then I would go for obese. I can put up with a lot of crap for an extra year or two, especially when I know that the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train. No way I would go for lean if I knew the timescale involved and there were no other complicating factors.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #37

Considering how big those jumps are, if I was in a similar situation I could see myself falling into the "One More Year" syndrome! If I'm reading it right, the difference between retiring in 2020, versus 2023, is taking you from around $105K per year to $162K? That's pretty amazing!

My aspirations aren't quite so high. I'm mainly shooting for around $80K per year as my baseline, although I could cut back to a bare bones of around $60K, if I really had to.

FireCalc gives me a 93.9% chance of making it on $80K, if I retire this year. If I push it out 3 years, I have a 100% chance of making it on $80K. But if I want to get a bit extravagant, it gives me a 92.9% chance of making it on $95K per year.

I don't know that I'd want to sacrifice 3 years of my life, just for another $15K per year. But, for $57K I might be tempted! Of course, it would all depend on my health at the time, what else I want to do with my life, and my attitude about work.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm planning to Fat FIRE in September.
willing2try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGone View Post
What are your savings withdrawal rates for each of these?
Good question. I have a COLA pension and SS @ 70. This will cover my base expenses, so I need a bridge between retiring and SS. I also need savings to cover the BTD. So here is how I set it up:

1. 99% success for the base budget. This results in an average WR of 3% @ 54, 3.11% @ 55, 2.6% @ 56 and 1.7% @ 57. This starts out high but then goes to negative WR when SS kicks in.

2. My BTD is via VPW from retirement age to age 80. So that starts at around 6% and goes up according to the VPW spreadsheet.

All funds are in co-mingled in my 60/40 portfolio. I don't set it up as buckets. No real need.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m just under your age and pulled the trigger last year.

Are you confident you have your expenses right including buying health insurance? Also a recent thread found many of us spend on average $15k per year on repairs and home improvements you may have dismissed as “not happening again”.

After leaving my fin advisor, I am down to 2.5% SWR until SS and a nonCOLA pension kick in.

Are you defining FAT fire as over $100k spend (location dependent if that’s fat) or like $50k over your current spend rate after meeting insurance?
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote