Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Oh, it's a simulation. Showing real market behavior in the class would bring in too many other factors.

The points I make are:
1) It's easy to get lucky. There is enough noise that someone is always going to get lucky and brag online. The traders that guess wrong don't post.
2) It's crazy to look daily or even weekly; all you are seeing is noise. The market signal may take a year or more to see. I did just find a good online article on this subject: Are You Checking the Portfolio Too Often? — Investment Masters Class

Re short term rebalancing, it always looks easy in the rear view mirror. I don't know of any research supporting the idea that it works, however. Do you?
No, I don't know of any such research, but if I were trying to convince someone not to do short term rebalancing the last thing I'd show them is a concocted chart that shows a near perfect case for doing short term rebalancing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No, I don't know of any such research, but if I were trying to convince someone not to do short term rebalancing the last thing I'd show them is a concocted chart that shows a near perfect case for doing short term rebalancing.
Well, we can differ on whether the chart is a "perfect case" or not, but my audience is at the point where they're a little fuzzy on basic concepts. No chance that tactical rebalancing is in their vocabulary.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

If anybody's interested, siamond over on bogleheads just did a rebalancing study. Based on lots of questions, he is continually updating his spreadsheet, but lots of good info on the blog whose link is in the first entry in the thread below.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...2344&p=5421447
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Well, we can differ on whether the chart is a "perfect case" or not, but my audience is at the point where they're a little fuzzy on basic concepts. No chance that tactical rebalancing is in their vocabulary.
This audience isn't your class.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
This audience isn't your class.
It is so predictable, even funny, that you always have to have the last word. So go ahead. I'm done.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
Well if your shares were in Sears for example that money isn’t coming back.....

How we prepare for it and the various calamities that we may face is the question? Not a “prepper” living in a bunker but I am sure those folks have a different attitude than most, so we all need to find that level of preparedness that makes...
I prepare for the next bear by not dripping but accumulate dividends in cash. When the next bear comes out of the cave (or black swan), that’s when I put the cash to work. That’s what I did in Feb and March, and what I plan to do going forward. AA In equities is a bit higher now but not out of my zone to sleep well at night.
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
Well if your shares were in Sears for example that money isn’t coming back ...
Well, there are many ways that foolish investing can hurt a portfolio. Lack of diversification is one of the more popular.
William Bernstein: “Do you think that by choosing a portfolio of only a few stocks that you hope will score big, you are maximizing your chances of becoming wealthy? Indeed you are, but you are also maximizing the chances of a retirement of cat food cuisine”
We own (literally) all the tradeable stocks in the world. I suppose Sears Holdings was in there somewhere but I haven't noticed.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
How do you assess whether the market is over heated and what counts as a big dip?
I know when Tech stocks go up $150 to $200 in one day. and when the market loses 800 points in one day (then I buy).
Old 08-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #89
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Duchess of Windsor said "You can never be too rich or too thin" You can tell most of the forum contributors are mainly baby boomers who have "made it". Unfortunately we live in a society motivated by envy, some of which is justified. When a large portion of the population finds itself in insurmountable debt they may never get out of, its easy to see how they might sucumb to a party that promises to take from the more fortunate and redistribute it directly or indirectly to them. On a practical note, diversification does not mean different equity categories. Would suggest 40-40-20 equitys-bonds(t bond govt wont default)-cash plus about 10%metals(take delivery) and maybe even a very small portion in bitcoin. Works for me.
hanginthere is offline   Reply With Quote