Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a CD maturing in Oct 2011. I don't get the option to reserve certificates.I see only 2 options: "Maturity" and "Dividends."

Weird that Dawg would see the option to reserve and I don't.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Read the first part of this thread, follow what was said and you may see it.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Grrr...

I tried to reserve certificates as Roth IRAs and it gave me a warning that I don't have the correct type of account and that I need to call in. My current certificates are regular, not IRAs. The PenFed person told me that I cannot reserve new certificates as IRAs unless the maturing ones are already IRAs.

So I went ahead and reserved as regular certificates. Might be smart to open an IRA account anyways for another time when they have another promotion rate going.

Also, on the phone she told me that you could only reserve the amount that you currently have maturing but it let me reserve much more than that.
My CD's that mature in October are non-IRA, but the reservation I made was for IRA-CD's. I DONT recall an option for Roth, however.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

WOW...penfed did a good job making the offer difficult to find. I noticed that I can click on ANY CD of with ANY maturity and navigate to to the offer.

-Look for the "+" in a box next to the certificate
-Click the "+" and it will expand to show two columns with additional info
-The lright column has an item called "certificate options"
-Click "Certificate Options" and it takes you to a page that describes details such as
what to do with the proceeds at maturity, etc.
-On the certificat options page there is a blue and orange box on the right side of the page with the reservation offer.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
My CD's that mature in October are non-IRA, but the reservation I made was for IRA-CD's. I DONT recall an option for Roth, however.
Do you already have an IRA Share account at PenFed? Maybe that's why you have that option. They told me that I'd have to open an IRA Share account which involves sending in the application by mail from the .pdf form on the site. Only $25 is needed to open one.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Do you already have an IRA Share account at PenFed? Maybe that's why you have that option. They told me that I'd have to open an IRA Share account which involves sending in the application by mail from the .pdf form on the site. Only $25 is needed to open one.
Yeah, I do. They required me to open an IRA share account years ago to deposit rollover funds for my IRA-CD. They would not let me buy the IRA CD directly. The account has sat there ever since with a zero balance. My maturing CD's are non-IRA, so I will do another rollover from Fidelity IRA to Penfed IRA share account to fund the IRA-CD's that are reserved.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to PenFed this morning to reserve another cd ....and poof....no certificate options. I still have the 2 that I reserved listed. I think that they altered the site within the past few hours.
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Molly:

I just checked right now. It's still available.

1. Go to main menu

2. click "account action"

3. Look for "certificate options" click it.

4. Look on the right side, you will see the familiar Certificate Reservation
Box.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Just followed Wolf's and other's directions - our certs mature Jan 25 2015. On the right side there is a box with pictorial promotions for Home Equity loan, New & Used auto loan, and low rates on first mortgages. On the left, I can choose to renew the cert, get paid at maturity by check or deposit, and change the term of the cert.

Nothing that tempts me with high(er) specified interest. Are they offering anything better than the 4% APY our 5 year certs have?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Molly:

I just checked right now. It's still available.

1. Go to main menu

2. click "account action"

3. Look for "certificate options" click it.

4. Look on the right side, you will see the familiar Certificate Reservation
Box.
The promotion is no longer out there when I do the above. I'm glad I made a reservation when I did.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

For everyone except me, apparently.

Quote:
-On the certificat options page there is a blue and orange box on the right side of the page with the reservation offer.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I can still access the reservation offer via Wolf's directions or the other method. I like Wolf's advice better. There is still 161M available as of 5:19pm eastern time, so the pot is far from dry.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can still access the reservation offer via Wolf's directions or the other method. I like Wolf's advice better. There is still 161M available as of 5:19pm eastern time, so the pot is far from dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For everyone except me, apparently.
You and me both Amethyst. Think they are spoofing us. Notice no one is saying what the promo offer is...I want to see a print screen of the alleged offer!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
..I want to see a print screen of the alleged offer!
Go to the first page of this thread to see for yourself.

HTH

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...fer-51751.html
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #35

Here's a capture of the page I see when I click on Certificate Options -

When you click on the PROMOTIONS - Certificate Reservations link it takes you to

Old 09-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Sue J. Clearly, quoth the blind man, an elephant is much like a tree.

PenFed is down for scheduled maintenance right now, and i was having difficulty doing a screen cap before that message, but on the same page you show I was getting no certificate reservations box under promotions and no existing reservations page of course. Instead, my promotions included only the Home Equity loan, New & Used auto loan, and low rates on first mortgages. Methinks our current 1/2015 certificate maturity is just too far out for Penfed to offer the new promo to us.

Thankyou for showing that screen capture.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Wolf and everybody else...but still can't access the offer. We got in the door from my husband's IRA, and his Roth IRA. However, when I log in on my account the offer does not show up. Also, our we have a regular joint CD...and the offer shows up when he logs in to his account but not when I log in.

I have to dig deeper. After talking to a representative --- I think that they changed the rules.
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I only have regular PenFed CDs but none maturing before 2012. When following the instructions, no special offers show up for me.

I wish there was a way to get a higher rate with new money but it looks like only 3.49% for a 7 year CD.

Am I missing something, or is the best I can do?
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #39

Tom, mine don't expire till 2012 also yet I was able to reserve one for January. I would try again if I were you.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Think there are different screens presented to different customers, based on certificate maturity perhaps? My promo isn't the same as some others. Trying to do a screen capture this is what I get:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (119.4 KB, 12 views)