Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still use ATMs. I have started to withdraw larger amounts so I use them less frequently. So far I have only used the ATM once this year, still have enough cash on hand from that withdrawal.

I cannot remember the last time I went to a bank for cash... I have not made a purchase that requires a large amount of cash in years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just cash the Citi rebate check and use that for my mad money.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #23

I get cash whenever I need some by picking it off the money tree in our backyard.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I get my cash from a bank teller when I make a split deposit of a check I get every month from someone who owes me money. I like $10 bills, so some of the $80-$160 of the cash is in 10s and some in 20s.

Two other smaller sources of cash are from my ladyfriend who reimburses me for food shopping I sometimes do for her, and when my (snake-bit) friend pays me for doing his taxes and overseeing his portfolio.

The last time I actually used an ATM to get cash was back in June of 2018. I happened to run too low in cash mid-month so I had to refill.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

When the gunsafe needs refilling on the cash, Ms. gamboolgal goes to the Bank and gets cash for us.

We do not use ATM's - yes there is a story.....

Along the Gulf Coast, Cash is good to have in hurricanes, Ice Storms and Power Failures

In Nigeria having Cash can be quite important if need to evacuate.....
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We get $100 or $200 back when we use our debit card at the grocery store. That's one way. Also, an ATM.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I get $120 or so every few months as payment for an occasional cat sitting job. I use cash so infrequently that it builds up. When I cash in my Costco rebate, I have to concentrate on paying with cash for a while or give money to my nieces.
Mmm Rrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #28

One way to do it without going to the bank is to pay for a group dinner and have everyone give you cash...oh wait, now there are apps for that...

I goto ATM, don't use cash often. Maybe > $1,000 /yr. Go to the ATM maybe once a month if that. Even the Girl Scouts take plastic now! I just charged something for $1. Why not.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #29

ATM
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #30

Every time I go to Walmart, I always get $60 cash back when I pay with my Discover credit card.

That way I'm floating cash until the end of the month and get 1% cash back.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #31

Ms G is the treasurer of the library, we write a check for cash deposits to put in the night depository. Maybe $50 a month, seems to pay for small things here and there.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I like not feeling poor.
Me too -- but $60 in my wallet makes me feel rich!

I get cash at the grocery store ATM or the closest branch of my bank.

We use cash at small businesses -- especially at mom/pop places that don't take the credit cards that have high fees.

So, cash at the local Asian restaurant (Doesn't take Discover or Visa -- found that out the hard way We were able to scrounge up enough cash for the meal, but we had to send DD back 20 minutes later with the tip. );

Cash for tips; cash at the dog groomer's; cash at the thrift store; cash at the Mexican restaurant; cash at the hospital cafeteria; cash for lemonaide stands ....

I suspect that being regular, cash customers gets us better service in some instances.

Also, in this day of constant electronic tracking, (Your car knows when you gain weight, NYT 5/20/2019) I like not having every-single-transaction residing in a data farm somewhere. Unless the drones are following me to Casa Tomas!
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #33

I sold a couple things on Facebook marketplace. Thats bern my cash or a while
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #34

I think I have used an ATM maybe three times in my life. I just go to the drive thru of my Credit Union and withdraw $1000 every 3-4 months. That pays for groceries, gas and all other cash expenditures.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #35

I usually get cash by walking into a bank branch.

Most ATM machines in my area are for driving up in a car. Due to some past shoulder problems, I find it difficult to operate ATM machine from inside the car, so I just go into bank branch. It is not inconvenient for me, and I don't go very often, and I choose times when the branch is not very busy. When I get cash, usually get enough to last a month or so.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Whenever I need some cash, usually $20, I just ask DW for it . She has the ATM card. I hate going to the bank. According to our bank statement, she draws out about $200/month for her uses (nails done, occasional lunch out).
Old 02-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #37

Interesting that so many here use cash. I never do at all, unless I've traveling and then will stick some bills in my wallet for back up if needed. Everything goes on my rewards credit card and gets paid off at the end of the month.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #38

I don't use cash much except at drive-through windows, which I don't use all that much, so I go through my cash pretty slowly. When I eventually want to replenish my cash, I use my debit card at an ATM, but I never use my debit card anywhere else, but rather, I used credit cards.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I rarely use cash. Charge everything. But when I occasionally go to Target I get $40 cash back. Will last me months.
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been to an ATM once in the past 5 years. I use Discover at Sam's, Walmart, or the grocery store and get $50 - $60 cash on average twice a month. If we get a birthday or anniversary gift check, we usually take some in cash. We primarily use the cash for tips and inexpensive lunches and we spent $20 on girl scout cookies this week.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote