Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, what do you and your wife use cash for?

This group is often very different than the general population.
Buying quick breakfast or lunch when away from home, weekly $5 golf league ante, occasional coffee, soft drink or ice cream shop, tip jars, buying 1-2 small items at grocery store, almost anything under $10-15. We use credit cards a lot, but why expose our CC info for every little purchase? YMMV

That’s said, if society/stores go cashless (as some seem to be), that’s fine.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cash doesn't get used much for us. When I retired in January of 2017 I had about $400 in cash in my wallet. Just looked and right now I am down to $280. So, only about $40 a year in actual cash expenditures.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We rarely use cash. We'll stop at an ATM every 2 or 3 months and grab $300.

I've been carrying around the same $20 bill for at least 6 weeks.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Use cash at local mom & pop restaurants, all tips, buying/selling collectibles, the $20 slipped to friends' kids in college when we see them, lunch at work cafeteria, paying the local handyman (who is about 1/3 the cost of what a business would charge) and the neighbor's kid when he clears the driveway. We have a free ATM in our office building so grabbing some cash is painless.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Have never used an atm.
I have a set amount in a home safe for emergencies, discount opportunities (Oh, you’ll reduce the price if I pay cash instead of charge, sure). Usually keep $60-$100 in my wallet & restock when needed from those funds.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Buying quick breakfast or lunch when away from home, weekly $5 golf league ante, occasional coffee, soft drink or ice cream shop, tip jars, buying 1-2 small items at grocery store, almost anything under $10-15. We use credit cards a lot, but why expose our CC info for every little purchase? YMMV

Thatís said, if society/stores go cashless (as some seem to be), thatís fine.
I donít worry much about retail CC exposure. Almost all terminals read chips now and I put in the card myself. More and more terminals take ApplePay which is even more secure. And I always have backup credit cards.

I worry about online CC exposure more and generally use PayPal or ApplePay online except for a few long-time trusted vendors.

US Restaurants are still the worst in terms of taking your credit card away from you to initiate the transaction. Annoys me to no end.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Just got the Costco CC cash rewards coupon email and it is substantial! Well, I already knew the amount, but forgot and I think we already have lots of cash at home.

Hmmm, I may just have to deposit most of it at our bank - fortunately there is a branch across the parking lot from Costco.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #68

Looks like we are outliers.

I get $200 about 2-3 times a month from the bank ATM.
My techphobic DW gets $400 per month from the teller.

That's almost 10% of out total spending.

This topic seems ripe for a poll. "Dollars of cash expenditures in the typical month" with options for singles and couples.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #69

I keep $500 cash in the house and refill my wallet from that. I keep $100 or so in my wallet, though it seems to last months these days. One grocery store where I shop occasionally does not take credit cards, so I use cash there. I only use my debit card at my credit union's ATM to get cash, never use it in stores. Which is why I need a little cash on hand.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
I get cash whenever I need some by picking it off the money tree in our backyard.
Iíve been fortunate to have local poker games as my backyard money tree.

Havenít used an ATM since early 1970ís when in college.

Often negotiate better price when paying with cash, especially on home repair stuff.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
I have been to an ATM once in the past 5 years. I use Discover at Sam's, Walmart, or the grocery store and get $50 - $60 cash on average twice a month. If we get a birthday or anniversary gift check, we usually take some in cash. We primarily use the cash for tips and inexpensive lunches and we spent $20 on girl scout cookies this week.
How does that discover cash work just take the cash st the grocer via the terminal and then pay the bill off? I was always wondering if this is the last thing to keep me from inconveniently going to an arm I might just use discover at the grocer.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I go once a month to the ATM and get out $100 or $200.I use it for tips nail services , and my grandsons get cards with $20 every holiday even phony ones .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
How does that discover cash work just take the cash st the grocer via the terminal and then pay the bill off? I was always wondering if this is the last thing to keep me from inconveniently going to an arm I might just use discover at the grocer.
yup. many retailers offer cash back ($20/$40/$60/$Other);at checkout. say the total amount bought is $40 and i select $60 cash back the Discover statement will show a $100 transaction. no interest, no fees.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

About a year ago I discovered I can walk into most banks (I have done this at Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America-none of which I have an account at), present my ID and Schwab checking account debit card, and ask for a "cash advance". The teller will graciously dispense this to me in any denominations I like. No fee charged by either the bank or Schwab. Some banks put a limit on amount dispensed to a non-customer. At Wells Fargo it's $1000. This has become my preferred method of getting cash.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
yup. many retailers offer cash back ($20/$40/$60/$Other);at checkout. say the total amount bought is $40 and i select $60 cash back the Discover statement will show a $100 transaction. no interest, no fees.

Yes, just select how the amount of cash back and make sure the cashier or machine gives you the cash. You do not earn the Discover points for the amount of the cash back, just for the actual purchase. Then you pay it off just like the regular charges.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
DW and I usually use a nearby ATM to take out $40/week each for ďallowanceĒ to buy all sorts of small incidental purchases (lunch, snacks, 1-2 items at grocery, etc.).
Why would you got to the ATM weekly instead of just taking out $400, and go every 10 weeks. Saves effort, time, and gas.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #77

I have my checking account with Fidelity so ATM fees are refunded. I get $200 every 2-3 months. I use it for very small purchases (under $5) and for tips for the hotel maids when I travel. The local plumber gives a discount for "cash" but he'll take it in the form of a check.

One oddity in my neck of the woods is that if I make an ATM withdrawal of $200 I get 5 20s and a $100 bill. I hate that. Fortunately one ATM is in a bank branch at a grocery store I use- I just go over to the teller and ask for change.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One oddity in my neck of the woods is that if I make an ATM withdrawal of $200 I get 5 20s and a $100 bill. I hate that. Fortunately one ATM is in a bank branch at a grocery store I use- I just go over to the teller and ask for change.
Same here. Once in a while, I have gotten cash from an ATM (in a bank) I do not usually visit. It gives me larger bills (50s or 100s) which I don't want to carry around because many stores don't accept them. Thankfully, I went to it during regular business hours so I was able to exchange it for smaller bills, 10s and 20s.

As I wrote in another post (in this thread, I forget!), since 2018 I have used only tellers to get cash because I am doing a split deposit on a monthly check I get and want 10s and 20s, so it means a visit to my local bank.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Withdraw $50 several times?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #80

I have 4 tenants out of 8 that pay in cash; I don't know why. Three have decent paying long term jobs that they direct deposit into bank accounts. I know, because they must bring check stubs when qualifying, and I photo each one. I text them a receipt for amount paid. I have never had this many pay in cash in 20 years. Anyhoo, prior to that DW would just get $20 back from the grocery store. Now we just keep about $300 around that may last for weeks, or if we travel, it will last less. We usually pay everything by CC to get points, but cash payments to local businesses that our friends own, or tips to hotel, or VRBO maids, etc.
But monthly $2600 in received cash rents goes to the bank.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote