Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

DH takes a ride to the bank first of every month and withdraws $1,000. The bank tellers greet DH by name and he likes to chat with them. We pay cleaning lady 2x month, I get my weekly allowance $50 which pays for manicures, pedicures and facials and before the pandemic lunch a couple of times a month with gal pals. Whatever monies left in my wallet when I get my next weekly allowance I just sock away for a rainy day.
socaldonnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This reminds me, I should get some cash, since we're in hurricane season.

Normally, the only time we use cash is when handing out tips, and that mostly happens when we travel (Travel? What's that, daddy?)

One weird thing is that our credit union hasn't raised its daily cash withdrawal limit of $200 since I first joined nearly 40 years ago. Two hundred doesn't go quite as far, these days.

I assume that limit is for ATM withdrawals. Credit unions can be slow to change with the times. ATM withdrawal limits are generally associated with the capacity and technology (i.e. age) of the ATM. Newer machines capable of holding more cash and issuing various denominations can accommodate higher withdrawal limits but that doesnít mean the bank/credit union will utilize the capability.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #123
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Not at all. Amex for groceries 3.00%, MasterCard for fuel 3.00% & Visa Rewards for everything else 2.00%
+1...simple and not exhausting (or I would not do it!)....So we have one credit card...it's a BofA Premium Rewards Card and we get 2% for travel and dining and 1.5% on other purchases plus a 75% bonus because of BofA relationship.

Also, figured the math and I come out ahead paying the fee when I pay property taxes and the IRS with the card.

We see no reason for cash unless it's the only option.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Most of our purchases are tap and go. They allow cashback if we need it. We pay many casual labourers by payments on their credit cards. It seems that is as good as cash. To
Old 07-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Also, figured the math and I come out ahead paying the fee when I pay property taxes and the IRS with the card.
Funny how they call it a 'convenience fee' if you want to pay with credit card.
It's 2.49% in my county.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I wonder if there is a higher rate of tipping now that you really don't want change back?
That's the case for me. We spend little cash, right now, but in those unavoidable circumstances we don't ask for change back.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The quoted post was from 2-25-20, before masks, social distancing and frequent hand sanitizing, etc.

Update....

Well, due to the pandemic we have moved away from using cash and now use contact-less payment via a credit card. We could use our bank account debit card but heck, I may as well get the 1% cash back if I'm going to use plastic!

Our biggest expense, groceries, has been with Walmart grocery pickup or Instacart. We've made a few purchases in stores and pay via credit card rather than interacting with cash and change. Easy enough.

Our Chase Freedom VISA card has 1% cash back with 5% on quarterly categories. Sometimes those categories are useful for us but often are not. Chase just offered me a 1.5% cash back on everything card so I applied for that and it should arrive soon. And there was a nice $200 cash back bonus if you charge $500 in the first 90 days. Yeah, I can easily do that. And I've always paid the bill in full every month. We have no debt and will keep it that way.

Although DH is the one who liked the reality and physical nature of paying with cash he's the one who wanted to avoid the physical exchange involved now that we are in pandemic mode.
Nice to hear you moved into the plastic world

I would use a Credit card long before thinking of using a debit card. Both for the protections provided, the often extended warranties, and the points.

I get just over 5% using my credit card buying groceries Curbside.
I use more than one credit card, so I can maximize the benefits.

Just the other day, I was showing my Uncle the same wad of cash in my wallet from January. Haven't spent a dollar of cash.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:25 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I get cash from ATM about $200 every 3 months. I put $60 in my wallet and put the rest in one of 4 hiding places at home. Usually I forget I have it or where I hid it until I find it when Iím stashing cash from another ATM run.
ummm. so whatís the point if you canít recall where you put it? a few months after we sold my deceased MILís home my BIL recalled he may have left his coin collection in the attic. he declined to contact the buyers.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Where Do You Get Cash? Iím confused...
Old 07-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #129

Where Do You Get Cash? Iím confused...

We started using the new Chase card for the 1.5% cash back. Then I got an offer from PenFed for a 2% cash back card if you have their Access America checking account. We just opened that checking account in May for a $200 bonus if you make 5 debit card transactions. Easy enough to get the credit card so now we will start using the 2% cash back card for all purchases.

DH never thinks about money but he said, ďYou canít earn much on savings anymore. May as well get something for spending.Ē

I think heís been listening
Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
ummm. so whatís the point if you canít recall where you put it? a few months after we sold my deceased MILís home my BIL recalled he may have left his coin collection in the attic. he declined to contact the buyers.

I was trying to be funny.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
We started using the new Chase card for the 1.5% cash back. Then I got an offer from PenFed for a 2% cash back card if you have their Access America checking account. We just opened that checking account in May for a $200 bonus if you make 5 debit card transactions. Easy enough to get the credit card so now we will start using the 2% cash back card for all purchases.

DH never thinks about money but he said, ďYou canít earn much on savings anymore. May as well get something for spending.Ē

I think heís been listening

I bit on the PenFed Access America bonus. I just reviewed the offer to see when the bonus will be credited (4 months) but I forgot how much it was. Iíll pass on their 2% cashback card since I use their 5% gas rebate card exclusively for gas and car washes, but Iím not buying much gas these days.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I was trying to be funny.
oops. sorry.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote