Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After Discover made off with several thousand dollars of mine, I won't deal with them further. Yes, perhaps I get a lower interest rate elsewhere, but I'll be ahead since I get my principal back.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #22

6 months of expenses in MM, 3 years expenses in Vanguards Short-term Investment Grade (VFSUX). YTD Total Return 3.55%, Yield 2.56%, Duration 2.4 years.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Operating cash...credit union savings account
Emergency fund and infrequent individual stock purchasing...VYFXX (VG NY TE money market fund)

Income generating TE bond funds include VWALX, VMLTX, and VWITX. I occasionally tap the VWALX dividends for a few months for large purchases (like my new John Deere lawn tractor), otherwise all reinvested.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
After Discover made off with several thousand dollars of mine, I won't deal with them further. Yes, perhaps I get a lower interest rate elsewhere, but I'll be ahead since I get my principal back.
What the heck happened?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #25

[QUOTE=

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, 5 yr CD's w/ Ally.[/QUOTE]

For a minute, I thought "huh? With me?"
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #26

MUB...No commission through FIDO and I like/need the tax free $$$.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
MUB...No commission through FIDO and I like/need the tax free $$$.
In what sense is this cash, or parking? It appears to me to be an investment in a municipal bond index. I didn't see the effective average duration, but it is described as having "various maturities", and in the risks section of the prospectus, interest rate rises are given as a risk.

Ha
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #28

VFUX

EDIT: VFSUX [sorry for typo]

Short term investment grade bonds. Some principal risk, but beats money market or checking. (Also keep a month of living expenses in BoA checking--which provides zero yield, for all intents . . .)
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you all for answers!

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In what sense is this cash, or parking? It appears to me to be an investment in a municipal bond index. I didn't see the effective average duration, but it is described as having "various maturities", and in the risks section of the prospectus, interest rate rises are given as a risk.

Ha
I guess it depends what we are calling parked cash.
I call it money that needs to be semi liquid, such as next years vacation, the new car in a few years, money to fix the roof if a tornado eats it, money that is waiting for a dynamite long term investment, and money for this years Christmas gifts.
Money for the immediate bills simply stays in a fee free checking account and money that may be spent within 6 weeks is in MM fund.
MUB is not without its risks for sure, but I think it is manageable, and given that it is an ETF, shares can be traded instantly and without cost.
When I say manageable, I mean daily observation of the movement. It is not a set/forget option.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

rphyx and dltnx
wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I am parking my emergency funds with AmEx Personal Savings. Only paying 0.8% though.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Equal chunks in ultrashort term and short term bond funds. Use PIMCO and others. I get to buy at NAV s

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I sure miss the days (not so long ago) where I parked my cash in my GMAC Demand Notes (now Ally) account and earned 4.5% guaranteed!
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How did you lose principal?
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #36

Of course another question might be if the ATMs stopped working how long would it be until you run out of cash. It is interesting that the folks who lived thru the bank runs in 1932 tended to keep a couple of weeks of cash on hand. Today the only problem might be security, as effective zero interest rates make the forgone cost (in missed interest) much less.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What the heck happened?
Since I hope to someday recover it, better I don't describe. I can say I've learned to not trust that company. A very expensive lesson.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What the heck happened?
Quote:
Since I hope to someday recover it, better I don't describe. I can say I've learned to not trust that company. A very expensive lesson.
Sorry to hear of your troubles with Discover Bank. I have had an account with them for over 2 years and never a problem and have had a relationship with Discover Card for over 20 years and am happy with their service.

Are you suing them for damages?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wells View Post
rphyx and dltnx
+1 on RPHYX Riverpark Short Term High Yield - the fact that this fund has high yield in its name is a bit misleading, as this fund is one of the best places to see cash grow reasonably safely at a decent yield.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote