Where do you park ca$h?

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
I keep my ca$h in MM and feel that there might be more creative ways people manage ca$h.

So , where do you park ca$h?

Discover Bank savings account. 0.8% interest (better than many short term CDs) and FDIC insured.

VCSH up 4.4% YTD.

VAIPX 5.19% YTD. Our 6-figure e-fund sits there for now. A bit riskier than VCSH and certainly not everyone's mama.

I've been keeping my emergency fund in a 5-year CD which pays 1.95% and my house down-payment fund in a savings account which earns almost zero.

I'm planning on transitioning the house fund into to series I savings bonds over the next couple years for the extra yield. I might put a bit into the vanguard short-term corporate bond fund as well.

I keep my ca$h in MM and feel that there might be more creative ways people manage ca$h.

So , where do you park ca$h?

Reward checking account. Provident Credit Union. I think 2.2%. First 25K.

Tiaa-creff, 1.25% savings. Not sure its available to new accounts.

Fatwallet forums keep pretty good track of the best interest rates on online accounts available at the moment.

You can always park it with me and I can certainly be creative with it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, 5 yr CD's w/ Ally.

VCSH up 4.4% YTD.

VAIPX 5.19% YTD. Our 6-figure e-fund sits there for now. A bit riskier than VCSH and certainly not everyone's mama.

I have some ST Corporate Bond as well (but the fund version). Since it has some interest rate risk I don't consider it to be a cash equivalent.

However the impressive YTD yields that you both are quoting probably include significant interest rate gains. The SEC yields are 1.53% and -0.76% respectively and the durations are 2.8 and 6.2.

I use Limited Term Tax Exempt Bond fund. It has a duration ~ 2 so not a lot of risk.

Short Term Investment grade for cash I don't need for >3 months
Money market for <3 months time horizon.
TJ

After Discover made off with several thousand dollars of mine, I won't deal with them further. Yes, perhaps I get a lower interest rate elsewhere, but I'll be ahead since I get my principal back.

6 months of expenses in MM, 3 years expenses in Vanguards Short-term Investment Grade (VFSUX). YTD Total Return 3.55%, Yield 2.56%, Duration 2.4 years.

Operating cash...credit union savings account
Emergency fund and infrequent individual stock purchasing...VYFXX (VG NY TE money market fund)

Income generating TE bond funds include VWALX, VMLTX, and VWITX. I occasionally tap the VWALX dividends for a few months for large purchases (like my new John Deere lawn tractor), otherwise all reinvested.

After Discover made off with several thousand dollars of mine, I won't deal with them further. Yes, perhaps I get a lower interest rate elsewhere, but I'll be ahead since I get my principal back.

What the heck happened?

Back
Top Bottom