Where DOES all the money go every month?

Has anyone ever tried to break down their expenses by the CPI categorizations? And then do a comparison against the CPI percentages to figure out where exactly your spending habits differ from a "typical" American?

I'm not positive I'm doing this properly but I'm trying to learn here. For example say my property taxes were 10,000 and my gross income income was 100,000. I'm doing 10,000 / 100,000 and getting .1 or 10%. Correct?

The I had it all wrong. I compared Individual Expenditures to Total Expenditures. Had I used Total Income, my results would have been much smaller... and, to be honest, since we don't spend (per se) much of our income, not very useful information. (Savings are not an expense item... same with money not spent.)

The I had it all wrong. I compared Individual Expenditures to Total Expenditures. Had I used Total Income, my results would have been much smaller... and, to be honest, since we don't spend (per se) much of our income, not very useful information. (Savings are not an expense item... same with money not spent.)

No, that's the right way to do it. The question is, of the money that goes out every month, where (to what categories) does it go?

Back
Top Bottom