Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

where is my rollover?

I had a 401k with about $11k in it which I needed to roll into my etrade IRA
the 401k was with slavic 401k thru paychex
the IRA is with etrade

On Dec 22 I initiated the transfer
I have checked etrade daily, no deposit shown
today I checked slavic, it has a $0 balance

how long should the rollover process take?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

I have done a few of these with E-Trade and it should not take that long. Suggest you touch base with them and find out what the holdup is, it sounds like there is one.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

I just started a rollover from a PenFed Roth IRA (my 10 year old 5% CDs have matured) to my Roth IRA at Vanguard. I initiated it at Vanguard and they told me it could be 4-6 WEEKS! Specifically, I should see the money leave PenFed within a few days but it may be awhile before it shows up in Vanguard.

I've done similar transactions before and I know it there was a scary gap when the money was in neither place but I don't think it 4-6 weeks
Old 01-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This sounds like a trustee to trustee transfer which is different from a rollover. I initiated one around 12/17 at Blueprint Income. The funds left Fidelity on the 19th and the annuity company received them on the 8th but I'm still waiting for the funds to be credited. I have had them take 5 weeks moving between credit unions and I don't understand why the funds are debited before the receiving institution receives the check.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
This sounds like a trustee to trustee transfer which is different from a rollover. I initiated one around 12/17 at Blueprint Income. The funds left Fidelity on the 19th and the annuity company received them on the 8th but I'm still waiting for the funds to be credited. I have had them take 5 weeks moving between credit unions and I don't understand why the funds are debited before the receiving institution receives the check.
So the customer does not withdraw the money before the check is cashed would be my guess.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #6

Yes, you are right. Mine was a trustee to trustee transfer, not a rollover.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #7

help me understand
401k to an IRA is a rollover, right?
Yes the trustee is changing too
an IRA at a bank to an IRA at a broker would be a trustee to trustee transfer?
Old 01-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
help me understand
Yes. I would call a 401k to an IRA to be a rollover. Pretty sure that's the right term in this case. And a movement of the investments from one IRA to another IRA would be a transfer.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
help me understand
The IRS calls both of these (and lots of other things) rollovers. What you are describing are just different methods for accomplishing a rollover.

There are three ways to rollover your money. You can use any one of these for any type of rollover as long as both institutions can accommodate your chosen method.

1) Direct -- you receive a check made out to "new custodian FBO you" and then you deliver it to the new custodian yourself. In my experience, this has been the fastest way to move money.
2) Trustee-to-trustee -- one institution sends the money to another. This method is usually slow.
3) 60-day rollover -- you receive a check made out to yourself, deposit it in your own bank account and then write out a new check (or ACH or wire transfer) to your new custodian within 60 days. I have never tried this.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The IRS calls both of these (and lots of other things) rollovers. What you are describing are just different methods for accomplishing a rollover.

There are three ways to rollover your money. You can use any one of these for any type of rollover as long as both institutions can accommodate your chosen method.

1) Direct -- you receive a check made out to "new custodian FBO you" and then you deliver it to the new custodian yourself. In my experience, this has been the fastest way to move money.
2) Trustee-to-trustee -- one institution sends the money to another. This method is usually slow.
3) 60-day rollover -- you receive a check made out to yourself, deposit it in your own bank account and then write out a new check (or ACH or wire transfer) to your new custodian within 60 days. I have never tried this.
appreciate the detail, thank you
Old 01-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #11

General question to the forum. Can the originating financial institution be contacted to determine if the funds have indeed been transferred/cashed? At this point, hopefully the answer is no. If the answer is yes and you don't see it in the new IRA, I would contact the receiving financial institution to see if the funds are in a hold/pending.

In my case, I was only allowed option #1 by my ex-company's 401(k) plan, as described by cathy63 above. As fast as it was, it was still a slow process. Having the check mailed from the east coast to me on the west coast, then by me back to the east coast didn't give me any comfort.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
General question to the forum. Can the originating financial institution be contacted to determine if the funds have indeed been transferred/cashed? At this point, hopefully the answer is no. If the answer is yes and you don't see it in the new IRA, I would contact the receiving financial institution to see if the funds are in a hold/pending.

In my case, I was only allowed option #1 by my ex-company's 401(k) plan, as described by cathy63 above. As fast as it was, it was still a slow process. Having the check mailed from the east coast to me on the west coast, then by me back to the east coast didn't give me any comfort.
The IRA I am rolling this into has 3 existing rollovers/ 3 old employers plans in it. The rollover process appears to have many "interesting" characteristics or use cases.

Transamerica always required me to use their paperwork and had no online process. Principal (had 2 401ks there) would allow me to initiate online, and when I was a financial advisor, there were numerous 401ks which would allow me to use the new custodian paperwork (meaning I could submit to TD ameritrade where funds would be placed, and that paperwork was good enough for most except transamerica).
Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've done several over the past ~10 years from various financial institutions to my primary brokerage account. IRA to IRA and 401k to IRA... As best as I can remember, the quickest was done in about 7 or 8 business days and the longest was closer to a month. In all cases they sent my funds VIA snail mail.

It's a little concerning to see 100's of K disappear from one account one day and then not appear for more than a week in the other... I don't know why they can't do a wire transfer.... (which usually takes a day) I'm sure they have some "excuse(s)".
Old 01-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #14

It's good to do these trustee to trustee, and in kind of funds are material in order to Stay Fully Invested.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Iíve always had the best experience having 401k or IRA funds made payable to the new custodian FBO jazz4cash and mailed to me. Fidelity does this readily and they will expedite for $25. The new custodian (credit union) usually balks but eventually accepts the check. This way I have more control since I get the check in about 7 days and I can hand deliver the check or use overnight mail to deliver. Ridiculous how onerous it is to move IRA and 401k assets between custodians.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I have my 401k and IRA both with Fidelity, they actually show up together when I log in, can I just do the rollover online with a few clicks?
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
If I have my 401k and IRA both with Fidelity, they actually show up together when I log in, can I just do the rollover online with a few clicks?

I have same setup with Fidelity. Anything workplace savings related requires a phone call. What are the rules for 401k distributions from your plan? Some are pro rata and others let you select which assets to transfer. I can arrange IRA distributions online but I think I have to call for IRA rollovers and transfers.