Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Details: New home is less than nine miles (straight line distance) from the old one. Plus the Kentucky home is actually north of the Ohio home.
Not many people realize that when traveling from central Ohio to Pennsylvania you have to drive though West Virginia. Not much of it, but it's there.

Ain't geography grand?
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Not many people realize that when traveling from central Ohio to Pennsylvania you have to drive though West Virginia. Not much of it, but it's there.

Ain't geography grand?
Can you say Wheeling?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, here's a fun generalization.

We are in the process of moving.
Current home is in Ohio. OK, picture that and form an impression.

New home is in Kentucky. Same stereotype, or did you alter your impression a bit?

Details: New home is less than nine miles (straight line distance) from the old one. Plus the Kentucky home is actually north of the Ohio home.
Perhaps not too different now, but over time it was certainly very different. Until Robert Kennedy's raids, there were very few bars in Newport or Covington that were not also race books, and many in Newport were also brothels. Big time Las Vegas type entertainment and table games were at the lookout House Nightclub in Kenton County and the Beverly Hill nightclub in Campbell County.

Dayton KY and part of Newport is north of the Cincinnati downtown core. That river doesn't run straight!

Ha
Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Visited relatives in Sarasota recently beautiful, nice weather but pretty crowded. (The mrs inherited with her sisters a nice 2 bedroom townhouse in a gated community) The traffic was pretty terrible too (it was Easter so maybe that was some of it) it got my to thinking about where to retire?

My wish list...
1) I really don't want too much congestion. But 30 min to Home Depot max.
2) We've had it with New England winters - even here in southern Pennsylvania gloomy gray skies for 3 months and 2 degrees - no thank you.
3) single story living
4) love to fish fresh or salt
5) love growing lettuce, tomatoes etc. but I could do it in pots I'm easy
6) hills NC - cool nights? A touch of winter?
7) buy out the relatives and do the summer/winter migration?

So what are/were your priorities? Any suggestions as to where?
As I write this the mrs and I are on our deck enjoying an warm spring morning .. We both are outside when We can be.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

New England is known for its long cold sunny winter days. But you're sick of gloomy gray winter sky's. That's because PA is not in New England! You experience Midwest winters in PA. Same as here in Ohio where I live now. I grew up in New England. Winters where pretty much 4 months long, but most every chilly day had blue sunny skies.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #185

We're sorta setting up for Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia ...maybe not full time, but Spring, Summer and Fall are incredible. Deep water lake with amenities including breweries, wineries, shopping, movie theaters, etc. Can be rural - close to Roanoke, Lynchburg, and Richmond. Rather than another house, we were considering just traveling in the winter months.

stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

stephenson, that sounds like a nice area. I used to travel to Lynchburg frequently, nice area. One thing I did learn there, none of the locals(I met) wanted to even admit "the institute" existed. Heck I just wanted to go drive by the place and see it.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

was up near urbana, VA a few weeks ago - nice country
Old 05-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #188
Gone but not forgotten

Then there's that state with the longest name, where everyone lives within a half hour drive to the Ocean.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Then there's that state with the longest name, where everyone lives within a half hour drive to the Ocean.
can't afford it, too crowded and way too many rules

a house like the one I'm in right now would be $4M in cali, at least
Old 05-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Only N.E. state I've never been too. Kind of a shame as family tree indicates a part of the family settled there in ~1650s.

🐑
Old 05-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #191
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
can't afford it, too crowded and way too many rules

a house like the one I'm in right now would be $4M in cali, at least
Nah, can't be Cali. It takes half an hour just getting out of the garage.

Okay, I'm exaggerating but you get the picture.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #192
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Only N.E. state I've never been too. Kind of a shame as family tree indicates a part of the family settled there in ~1650s.

��
My stepfather traces back to here...
Blackmer Family, Plymouth Co M - Genealogy.com

Some years ago we visited family graves in Plymouth... dating back to Pilgrim days (1620) earliest we could find with the name on the headstone was 1710.. Most of the family live in Scituate. My own surname, was in Quebec.. 1620... a woodcutter.

The only NE state that I never lived in was CT, but DW lived there for a while.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring-chicken2015 View Post
Why not move to the happiest place in the world?

Get happy in the world's happiest countries - CNN.com

Switzerland!
I could not agree more. If we could afford it we would be living in Wengen.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #194
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
OK, here's a fun generalization.

We are in the process of moving.
Current home is in Ohio. OK, picture that and form an impression.

New home is in Kentucky. Same stereotype, or did you alter your impression a bit?

My impression changed for the better. You will be in basketball country rather than football crazy Ohio. The Cincinnati area is full of Eastern Kentucky transplants anyway.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

We retired from NYC to Santa Rosa on the advice of a lot of people from this board. To say it was the best advice I've ever received from an online forum is a massive understatement. I simply can't imagine leaving this place as our home base -- even with the current drought situation. Sonoma County was everything (and more) that the folks on this site told me it would be. We came out for what was supposed to be 4 days to check it out, which turned in to 8 days, which turned into 11 days and ended with paying cash for a house in the northeast hills of Santa Rosa. Been here since (3 years now). And for the record, we're about 4 minutes from the Home Depot at the bottom of our hill.
z-d-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g View Post
We retired from NYC to Santa Rosa on the advice of a lot of people from this board. To say it was the best advice I've ever received from an online forum is a massive understatement. I simply can't imagine leaving this place as our home base -- even with the current drought situation. Sonoma County was everything (and more) that the folks on this site told me it would be. We came out for what was supposed to be 4 days to check it out, which turned in to 8 days, which turned into 11 days and ended with paying cash for a house in the northeast hills of Santa Rosa. Been here since (3 years now). And for the record, we're about 4 minutes from the Home Depot at the bottom of our hill.
That is such a great story! It's wonderful to hear that you found the perfect place for your retirement.

It looks more and more like F and I will definitely stay here in New Orleans for the rest of our lives. Other than crime, everything here is just what we want. I just made an offer on a dream house here, so if I get it then I'm pretty much committed to stay here for a while. In our 60's, we are not as enthused about moving to another location as we were in our 50's. Katrina memories have faded as well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That is such a great story! It's wonderful to hear that you found the perfect place for your retirement.

It looks more and more like F and I will definitely stay here in New Orleans for the rest of our lives. Other than crime, everything here is just what we want. I just made an offer on a dream house here, so if I get it then I'm pretty much committed to stay here for a while. In our 60's, we are not as enthused about moving to another location as we were in our 50's. Katrina memories have faded as well.

W2R, you mentioned buying a house and you mentioned "F". But you did not mention them both in the same sentence.....So.... Does this mean you are buying for yourself, or "You are welcome to live here with me F but if you get on my nerves, you are going to have to find your own place!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
W2R, you mentioned buying a house and you mentioned "F". But you did not mention them both in the same sentence.....So.... Does this mean you are buying for yourself, or "You are welcome to live here with me F but if you get on my nerves, you are going to have to find your own place!"
Mulligan, in our case we prefer to maintain our own separate houses, and after fifteen years, why mess with a good thing? The house is for me. Of course if he needed someplace to stay, he is always welcome (and vice versa), but neither of us are seeking that. He is happy in his own home, and I am happy in mine. We spend the afternoons and some evenings together, enjoying the best part of one another's company. This arrangement is not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but it works nicely for us.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #199
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mulligan, in our case we prefer to maintain our own separate houses, and after fifteen years, why mess with a good thing? The house is for me. Of course if he needed someplace to stay, he is always welcome (and vice versa), but neither of us are seeking that. He is happy in his own home, and I am happy in mine. We spend the afternoons and some evenings together, enjoying the best part of one another's company. This arrangement is not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but it works nicely for us.

This is exactly how DD is living with her SO and it works great for them. They have also worked at the same company for the past 3 years they have been together so they see lots of each other but maintain their own living space. He he will be arriving any minute for the dinner she is preparing now for all of us.

PS
He is a great guy and we love him to bits.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

We knew a married couple quite well. They kept 2 homes for 30+ years.

🐑